VG portfolio review

wanaberetiree

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just had my annual portfolio review by VG advisor.
Wanted to share a couple of points and ask for opinion.

1. I have ~7% in international stocks, they recommend now ~12%
2. I have majority of my bonds position in the US bonds, they recommend ~7% in international bonds like - Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTABX)

Any opinions?

Seems mainstream advice to me. I have 18% of my total portfolio in international equities (30% of equities). I also have 7% in international fixed income.

Would your age/time horizon need to be shared to make an informed opinion? I'm much heavier in foreign, but i have 10-25 years of accumulation time to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I am 56 and plan to retire next year. I established a VPAS account a few months ago. They put me in 15% international stocks and 10% international bonds. So your plans seems to be in the same ballpark.
cbo

It seems pretty clear nowadays that for anybody who asks Vanguard for investment help, that Vanguard tries to get their portfolio to look like one of the Vanguard LifeStrategy funds. Nothing wrong with that at all and that would be their fiduciary duty, too.

1. I have ~7% in international stocks, they recommend now ~12%
2. I have majority of my bonds position in the US bonds, they recommend ~7% in international bonds like - Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTABX)

VG's "party-line" is 70/30 US/intl for stocks, and 80/20 US/intl for bonds. Is that roughly what your numbers come out to, or is there something special about your situation?

I'm 50% international and put my mom in 33% international. Even 12% doesn't give you much to rebalance against.

Back
Top Bottom