Centenarian (+ or - a few years)

Car-Guy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The recent thread/poll about how long do you expect to live got me thinking about who is (or was) the oldest person I have ever personally known. For me it was a great grandfather of a family friend who lived nearby. He was born in the early 1860’s (they didn’t seem to know exactly what year – but they thought it was 1863). He died in the mid 1960’s so he was a few years past 100. I can still remember talking to him when I was in my early teens. He could still walk with a cane but didn’t get out much (Duh) But I remember his mind was still pretty sharp. Back then when I visited, it was “hello and goodbye” since I was too busy to do “whatever” and I didn’t have time to talk to some old guy. How I wished I would have had enough sense back then to talk to him about his life. I now realize that I had been talking to someone that was born during the civil war (although, I’m sure he would not have remembered that). But he grew up in the old west and later saw some of the first light bulbs, cars, airplanes, telephones, radios, etc, etc, etc, and lived thru WWI, and countless other major events, most of which we can only read about now. He lived just long enough to see the first men go into space.

Talk about "change".

Anyone know a centenarian?

Last edited:
I had two great-great-aunts who lived to be over 100. They died when I was very young but I do remember visiting them. At least one was quite active till close to her death.

Last edited:
Our next door neighbor is 93, but in the last 6 months she has been confined to her house since she can't do much without help. Before her going downhill last year, we chatted about all kinds of stuff she remembered. Get to talk with her, but now she doesn't recognize me when she is outside in her wheelchair.

My grandfather died at 101 years of age in January 2008. I was 48 yrs old when he passed away. He was in good health, walked slowly with a cane during his last 2 years of his life after an accident (slipped & fell in bathroom). He had a good appetite and a very sharp brain thru his last days. Soon after my grandfather passed away, my dad's health started deteriorating. My father passed away in December 2013 at age 82 after battling with Parkinson's disease for 4 years. He had lost muscle strength in legs and ability to speak during his last two years. His brain was sharp though even during his last days. I used to hold the newspaper for him to read (stock market news) and he would signal me with his index finger to turn the page after he was done reading it.

My MIL turned 98 week before last. Two more years and she will be my first.

No one I've known personally has lived past 96.
My dad's step dad was 96.
My maternal grandmother was 91, almost 92.
My FIL was 90.

I know lots of people in their 80's... not many in their 90's... and have never met someone who's 100 or older.

DW had a great-aunt who lived independently in southern California until she was 98, then went to assisted living for almost two more years.

My best friend's mom died last year at 103, but the last five years were in nursing care.

Both of those remarkable women kept their minds sharp nearly to the end.

DW has a great-aunt who is now 100 or a bit past. Her mind is gone though so not very interesting to talk to.

My grandmother lived to be 102 years old. She had $2000 dollars left
in her nest egg after all her expenses were paid.

I don't know a centenarian. A few people in their 90's, several in their 80's. My grandmother died at 87, and she lived longer than any of my relatives. My MIL is 85 and I think she has shot at hitting 100

We have home movies of my great-grandmother's 104th birthday. I believe she passed at 106. Based on my likely age in the movie, I estimate her birth year around 1850. My deceased mother claimed that she came to Wisconsin by buckboard wagon. Her husband had been a logger and blacksmith. My grandfather and her other sons all graduated from college. Two were pharmacists and the other ran a paper.

Back
Top Bottom