transfer?

randypape

Confused about dryer sheets
hello I've been with Edward jones for almost a year and now am pretty confident i'm moving all my money into Vanguard. Will take a real close look at what this cost me the last year. My question is: i do like the personal sevice I get from my person(I know at a cost). What I wanted was someone to look at my whole package and lay out a game plan and tell me if it was feasible for my Wife to retire or not and when could I. Now with that done I know i'm paying way to much in fees and charges and want to get the most out of my money. what i want from Vanguard is some professional advice and game plan to show me where to put my money to supplement my income for what i need, etc. Do they do this and for what cost and how much money do you have to have for them to deal with me? I 'll have more time to dig into this and take better control of my money after the first of the year. Thanks for any input and advice. Randy

Last edited:
I had Vanguard do an investment plan for me about 3 years ago. I entered all my data on line and talked to an investment adviser on the phone several times to get all my questions answered. It cost $200. I think I had to have $50,000 with them for that price. I received a formal investment plan. I ran several different tools to confirm their predictions. I followed their advice which included selections of funds in my 401K as well as selections in my Vanguard account. I am pretty much continuing to follow those allocations and funds, but I haven't gotten any advice since then. It is working for me.

I've been through the Vanguard retirement planning process twice. They'll lay out a solid plan for you for a low cost (it might be free depending on how much assets you are bringing over to them - check online to find out the thresholds).

In theory you could get pretty good diversification with three funds/ETFs (total stock, total international stock and total bond). I use the first two, but use lower duration bond funds. As you reorganize things, don't forget to cover off tax efficient placement of your holdings (generally income producing assets in you tax-deferred accounts and equities in your taxable accounts). See Principles of tax-efficient fund placement - Bogleheads

Vanguard will push you towards their Total Stock Market Index Fund, Total International Stock Fund and Total Bond Fund. I got this in the financial plan the Flagship clients get but I haven't followed their advice. I have an equity portfolio of Total Stock Market (50%), Small Cap (10%), Total International (30%) and REIT Index (10%). I'm debating whether to move into their Small Cap Value Fund. My fixed income is 55% of my total investable portfolio and is primarily in a CD ladder.

I suggest you read Andrew Hallam's Millionaire Teacher and William Bernstein's Investor Manifesto. They are the best reads I know of about index investing. You need to decide what is right for you. Please get away from Edward Jones ASAP. You are bleeding fees.

Vanguard will NOT send you a birthday card.

Back
Top Bottom