VWELX - what happened??

jqrz

Dryer sheet wannabe
I checked Vanguard Wellington Inv (VWELX) on Yahoo! Finance, and it shows it went down 4.15%....how is this possible or am i reading it wrong??

IF this is correct, what could be the possible reasons for such a huge drop?? i can't figure it out

I only had a 12% one this year. Much lower than the 20+% last year.

people who invest in MF, ETF, etc need to understand distributions.

I checked Vanguard Wellington Inv (VWELX) on Yahoo! Finance, and it shows it went down 4.15%....how is this possible or am i reading it wrong??

IF this is correct, what could be the possible reasons for such a huge drop?? i can't figure it out

record reinvest pay
Dividend $0.50100 12/24/2014 12/26/2014 12/29/2014
ST Cap Gain $0.34700 12/24/2014 12/26/2014 12/29/2014
LT Cap Gain $2.24700 12/24/2014 12/26/2014 12/29/2014 — —

It's kind of what you invest for isn't it?

The Wellington distributions are interesting but I would suggest they are not consistent in the long run. Too many people view these as a windfall which could erode your account value over time. I prefer to reinvest and take a simple 4%-4.5% withdrawal of the year end value.

Something I learned from the ER Forum: if you'd rather not get big distributions, you can always take the distributions in cash [since taxes are due in any case] and reinvest them in a fund, like VTSAX, which doesn't pay out as much. Over time, the big-payout fund will dwindle and the lower-payout account should, hopefully, grow.

(Note: I am not advocating for VTSAX, just using it as an example. All funds have their features and annoyances).

Amethyst

The Wellington distributions are interesting but I would suggest they are not consistent in the long run. Too many people view these as a windfall which could erode your account value over time. I prefer to reinvest and take a simple 4%-4.5% withdrawal of the year end value.

Well, you would have laughed at me - I honestly used to think CG = income, since we have to pay taxes on them.

We didn't have much invested, and I didn't look closely enough at statements to notice that the value of the accounts does not rise with the addition of this "income." :blush: The light only went on a few years ago:facepalm:

Amethyst

But you have to admit it's kind of amusing that posts like this appear online at this time of year with such regularity.
:LOL:

Well, you would have laughed at me - I honestly used to think CG = income, since we have to pay taxes on them.

We didn't have much invested, and I didn't look closely enough at statements to notice that the value of the accounts does not rise with the addition of this "income." :blush: The light only went on a few years ago:facepalm:

Amethyst

I honestly wish I had fully understood the ramifications of CG distributions before my portfolio was so large and liquidating my position would result in a six figure capital gain.

So I suppose for me it's a wash either way - I would like to be able to control how much of my portfolio I take and do that at the beginning of next year, rather than cash out a capital gain distribution at the end of this year with the rationalization that I have to pay taxes on it anyway.

Of course, the CG Distribution is 100% capital gain, while a 4% of portfolio would consist of approximately 75% principle and 25% capital gain.

If it's any consolation, from what I've read 2014 is an unusual year for rather large CG distributions because there have been very few losses over the last several years to offset the gains.

But you have to admit it's kind of amusing that posts like this appear online at this time of year with such regularity.
:LOL:

Yes, I am consistently amazed that investors don't immediately check for a distribution date.

We try to head them off on M* by posting announcements in forms for various fund families, but clearly panicking posters don't even bother to read thread titles.

Back
Top Bottom