FIRE test drive

Bigdawg

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, am I FIRE'd? Let me explain. 8 days ago I finished up a contracting job. I am halfheartedly looking for a new full time job.

Full disclosure:

Me, 49, retired military
65K/yr cola'd pension
20+ K/yr as an baseball umpire/volleyball referee (potential to make more in the next few years as I take over scheduling for multiple leagues). I don't consider this a job, but I guess technically it is.

DW, 43, retired military
40K/yr cola'd pension
95K/yr as a civil servant

DD, 19, Soph in college. Most bills covered with GI bill.

my expenses-4200/mo
DW expenses-5k/mo

The reason for the test drive is the DW of 22 yrs won't budget or plan. She is OK with cash but she see's no reason to retire early. For 20 plus years she was a mom, Marine and wife. No hobbies. She wouldn't know what to do with herself. So, I let my contract run out and I am test driving ER while we figure this whole thing out.

25 k in taxable accounts/savings.
200K in TSP (59.5 money)
160K equity in second home-plan to sell in June. After the sale, estimated monthly expenses for DW and myself will be 4K total.

DW and I are both into military aviation so lots of jobs if I decide to go back.

Wish me luck and I will keep the group updated. So far I am plenty busy.

One week down, the rest of my life to go.

Congrats! Based on the numbers looks like you are all set. Do your expense numbers include income taxes?

Just out of curiosity, why do you list your and your wife's expenses separately? Do you separate your economies (i.e. she pays for herself, you pay for yourself)?

Congrats! Based on the numbers looks like you are all set. Do your expense numbers include income taxes?

Just out of curiosity, why do you list your and your wife's expenses separately? Do you separate your economies (i.e. she pays for herself, you pay for yourself)?

Spudd,

Income is minus taxes and expenses include property and all other taxes.

For your curiosity: DW was an active duty Marine when I met her. Extremely independent. Always had and always will have separate accounts. We are joint but separate. It is a work in progress even after 22 years. I know we could do much better with everything combined, but we just aren't ready for that right now.

Ooh-rah Bigdawg!

Fellow sports official here. Our DS served in the Marine Corps.

Enjoy the test drive!

Back
Top Bottom