Another 'home-free boomers' book out

Focus

Full time employment: Posting here.
Came across a new book in the sell-the-house-and-hit-the-road-and-write-about-it genre:

Going Gypsy: One Couple's Adventure from Empty Nest to No Nest at All

According to the reviews, the book is mainly about the empty nester aspect, which -- since I don't have kids -- is of limited interest to me. Some of you may already be familiar with their blog, which focuses on their travels.

I'm not sure there really is a growing "home free" or "gypsy" movement, although obviously some folks are doing this and it's generating a good amount of media coverage.

To me, it sounds like an exhausting existence, particularly when combined with the pressures of maintaining a blog. Travel adds a lot of spice to life, but you can't live off spice alone. I like to have a home -- and community -- to come back to.

I've followed the Gypsy Nesters on Twitter for some time. I'm with you - I like my home, and my stuff, and my friends, and my church, and my pets, and.....

But it's still an interesting blog - it's given us a few ideas for vacations.

I'm not sure there really is a growing "home free" or "gypsy" movement, although obviously some folks are doing this and it's generating a good amount of media coverage.
Yeah - it's nothing new at all. The previous generation was big into RVs and quite a few did the full-time RV thing. We know a couple in their early 80s now that went full-time sailing 30 years ago. So many organizations supporting them, like Escapees, were founded decades ago. Escapees was founded in 1978.

The latest version of this is the younger folks building Tiny Houses on trailers.
I love reading about the lifestyle, but I too am a fan of having a home base.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

This lifestyle appeals to me. I've done it while on vacation on two round the world trips and I find it stimulating. Granted if I were to do it full time I'd probably like a few weeks to two months or so in one spot or region. I've never been a huge fan of a single location vacation.

Ideally, I'd like a place to come back to in the event that the lifestyle got tiresome. Maybe something like a vacation rental condo that I could turn into a permanent home if I wanted or needed to.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

We did the motorhome full-time thing for 2 years after we sold the big house. It was fun but decided we wanted a house again. So we bought a smaller house in a retirement community near our 2 sons.
This year we are renting houses and cabins. Had a nice house in Utah for March, will be in 2 different cabins in Colorado for July and August. I've found it is worth it if you are doing a monthly rental to ask for a discount. Next year we're thinking of Oregon and Washington, or maybe Hawaii for a month.
I thought about traveling like the above but didn't have the guts to try it....

sounds like a nightmare to me

Back
Top Bottom