Map Memories

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Every once in a while, a word, a TV show or a mention in the paper will stir thoughts of places I've been, that bring back pleasant memories. Places that I'll never see again, but memories that bring a smile and a moment of reflection about what if?
Not being a world traveler most have to do with the United States... so if I'm in a thoughtful mood, I'll go to on-line maps such a Google Pro, to see if those places still exist, the way that I remember them. To zoom in on specific streets, buildings or maybe lakes or seashores.

It's an endless exercise, so it's just one at a time. Today, it's memories of the year I spent when I was based in Chicago, but spending most of the time on a free wheeling creative project with 7 of my stores in California, from Auburn, down to Watsonville. Much road travel with about only 4 hours af actual time in the new "Test" automotive locations.
Plenty of time to explore, with no retrictions on time or 'reporting back' requirements.

Oakland as a base, to Livermore, Sacramento then Grass Valley to Auburn... that I learned to love... Fishing Antelope Lake... then down to Placerville, a try at gold panning,... hop up to Tahoe in winter (chains) for a free meal and losing $20 in the machines.

Then Sonora... stayed at the Rifle Inn... gold rush tiny main street... into Twain Harte, and one Sunday in a company pickup truck, a trip into the Stanislaus Forest... lost for three hours on back roads... winter... no one anywhere around. Groveland in an 19th century hotel room 60s.f. room and stairs to 2nd floor... 20 inches wide... sideways :)

Then Yosemite... in winter... snow... circa 1982 no people. Bridal Veil Falls all alone... a nap in the meadow on the bank of the river (can't remember the name). It was the year the Queen came to visit Yosemite, and one of her entourage advance party cars went over a cliff into the American River.

Drive down to Modesto, and Turlock where I had a brand new store. First time I discovered housing prices... shock! A hovel... $150K... run down tiny cottage. At the time, that would buy a 3000 s.f. home in Naperville.

Other trip to Watsonville store via Gilroy which I could recognize 3 miles away from the onion/garlic smell. In Watsonville always ate at a Mexican restaurant in the front two rooms of a house... always full of people (all six tables)... hottest tiny peppers ever grown in captivity. Four large beers to ease the third degree burns.

Just a quick trip throough the imagination of a few of the sharpest memories of my time in CA...

As born New Englander, virtually every road in every state. and lived in all but Connecticut at one time or another. Then Upstate NY... another 10 years of occupational travel. True love - the Adirondaks. The other most memorable eidetic memory... Nikko Japan, contrasted with the Streets of Tokyo... romance without responsibility as a free all expense paid triip.

So a topic that starts nowhere, and goes nowhere... Images that are probably wrong, but the kind of thing that happens after a long cold winter in North Country... (Illinois) :LOL:

Do you ever go back to the maps to remember life experiences?

Last edited:
I do, but I use Google Earth. It's fascinating to get a birds' eye view of former homes and neighbourhoods, seeing overgrown gardens, cars in the driveway, buildings demolished and new ones built (even if the images are a year or two old).

Do you ever go back to the maps to remember life experiences?

Actually, I have. Several times, (and Meadbh might appreciate this), I've gone and 'walked the streets' of a smallish town in Ireland outside of Dublin. I presented a paper there for a technical conference. Really quaint little place (Malihide), and I had a little time to stroll around, then later spend some time in Dublin proper. It's kinda fun to see those little shops, and the small town feel of the place.

-ERD50

I love maps! (thought I was the only one with this quirk). I was just looking at one the other day that had a route highlighted from a road trip about 15 years ago.
And thanks for the California mini-travelogue. FWIW I've been to all those places listed and know exactly where you're talking about.

Actually, I have. Several times, (and Meadbh might appreciate this), I've gone and 'walked the streets' of a smallish town in Ireland outside of Dublin. I presented a paper there for a technical conference. Really quaint little place (Malihide), and I had a little time to stroll around, then later spend some time in Dublin proper. It's kinda fun to see those little shops, and the small town feel of the place.

-ERD50

Did you visit Malahide Castle?

Did you visit Malahide Castle?

Yes, but just barely. If memory serves (a big if), my flight was leaving mid-afternoon Sunday, so I had plenty time to walk to the Castle and get the first tour at ~ 10AM, but I explained to the guide that I'd need to leave at a certain time (maybe 3/4 of the way through the tour). Had a nice walk there, past the cricket courts and a church where I unloaded my remaining Irish coin and bills, (some ladies were collecting for something for the church). Some houses with 'tached roofs' (I think that's how they said it? I'd say "thatched roofs') . Nice spring weather, we had sunshine everyday (and a little rain everyday, I think). I remember a cabbie commenting on how lucky I was to have such fantastic weather, I was thinking, OK, this is 'good' weather, not what I'd call fantastic, so I wonder what it's like normally?

Very scenic grounds, all in all, a very pleasant trip. And, Guinness, hmmmmmm.

-ERD50

Map collecting is a hobby of mine. Map atlases, highway maps, hiking maps, historical and antique maps. I have close to 20 or so antique maps framed and hanging on walls.

I also do a lot of online map research for road trips, and I'm compiling a digital map of our travels. So far in Google maps. Working on a master kml file of points and routes.

The map interest continues after spending 40 years in surveying/mapping and engineering, where we created maps and mapping software mostly for government agencies.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

For all who have used Google Earth, but haven't upgraded to Google Earth Pro, it's a previously "pay" program, but is now free, since January.

A different experience than Google maps... and Google Earth... now 3D and more navigable.

Here's a link:
Google Lat Long: Google Earth Pro is now free

Takes a little getting used to, and the "Help" helps. A good example might be going to Yosemite Park... and cruising the mountains and valleys in 3D. Suggest you do this when you have a little time to go through the guidance. :)

Map collecting is a hobby of mine. Map atlases, highway maps, hiking maps, historical and antique maps. I have close to 20 or so antique maps framed and hanging on walls.

I've always enjoyed them too.
I have a couple of maps (well, charts would be more accurate) of New York harbor done in 1779 by a couple of British Navy officers. It shows all the soundings (water depth in fathoms) throughout the harbor. I like the way it shows Coney Island as being an actual island at the time. Mine are just reproductions, but they're very cool to me, as I grew up there.

I've always enjoyed them too.

I have a couple of maps (well, charts would be more accurate) of New York harbor done in 1779 by a couple of British Navy officers. It shows all the soundings (water depth in fathoms) throughout the harbor. I like the way it shows Coney Island as being an actual island at the time. Mine are just reproductions, but they're very cool to me, as I grew up there.

The old nautical charts are very cool. Especially when they're in your old back yard. Amazing how bodies of water change. Islands that are no longer islands, etc.

I'm going to search for an old nautical chart of the Mississippi River near the former capitol of Illinois - Kaskaskia. Due to a sudden change in the river alignment, what was once Kaskaskia is now west of the current river. So part of Illinois is west of the Mississippi.

Love maps and Google Earth. It's fun to fly over old places and the street view is a huge bonus.

A bump here, because I haven't read about anyone using Google Earth Pro...
and think that if you haven't downloaded it yet, you might be missing something that's pretty good.
The 3D aspect and the ability to move "on the fly" is great. As I mentioned earlier, using the Helps part is recommended for those who haven't used it before.
It's possible to do a flying tour of almost anywhere, and to save it for others to watch. Zooming in and using the 3D effect, you can probably go right down to your house, and look in the windows, or see the back yard.

My first time around, it was a bit difficult, as it takes some time to learn and use the controls. After that, it can be somewhat addictive.
You can even explore the surfaces of Mars and the Moon....

https://www.google.com/earth/explore/products/desktop.html

Last edited:
I too like Google Earth. In a similar fashion, here is a website that lets you see aerial pictures over many, many years. Not all areas are available but it's a fun website to peruse. I would recommend, however, that you make your self unavailable for about 2 hours...it's THAT addicting.

NETR Online • Historic Aerials

Here's a cool map story.

...and so the library came upon the biggest coup in its history, doubling its map collection in a single day. Three years later and the maps are still being sorted, but this new video unearths some of the first footage of these historical gems. Set against a beautiful score from composer Aaron Stein-Chester, this film tells a one-of-a-kind story and examines the emotional and historical power of physical maps, as well as their meditative beauty.

A New Film by the Los Angeles Review of Books Shows How the Discovery of John Feather's Huge Map Collection Transformed L.A.'s Library - CityLab

I have always loved maps and charts, even before I was a sailor and depended on them for a living. Only musical scores can possibly approach the volume of information conveyed on a single page. One of the highlights of my 2014 trip to Venice was seeing the original Fra Mauro map in the Museo Correr.

Attachments

• 250px-FraMauroDetailedMapInverted.jpg
    250px-FraMauroDetailedMapInverted.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 55
I have always loved maps and charts, even before I was a sailor and depended on them for a living. Only musical scores can possibly approach the volume of information conveyed on a single page. One of the highlights of my 2014 trip to Venice was seeing the original Fra Mauro map in the Museo Correr.

Very cool!

Back
Top Bottom