Why now?

irishgal

Full time employment: Posting here.
So here I am, ER since June this year, happy as a clam.
Then I get a call from someone I w&@ked with years ago who is now with a well known and exciting tech type company. They have a position that 10 years ago, maybe even 5 years ago I would have died for.

And essentially, it's mine if I want it.

So I'm enamored with the money, the excitement, all that rot, but I also realize I would be back in the rat race with zero free time on the weekdays, etc.

Has anyone else been faced with this? I'm making a pros and cons list now but would love feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I was offered a similar position - high paid, but also high stress and living in the Washington, D.C. area of having to plan one's life around traffic. There was probably going to be some travel involved (defense contractor) but discussion never went that far.

I turned it down and don't regret for a minute the move to West Virginia. DW is happy with the move too.

YMMV.

They want you to fill the empty job they have.

Do you want the job to fill an empty hole in your life?

Never had the misfortune of having to deal with a situation like yours.

Thanks Walt. The other question of course is "for how long". In other words if I did it at this point when can I ER again? It would not make sense to go do it with the plan to bounce in 1-2 years.

They want you to fill the empty job they have.

Do you want the job to fill an empty hole in your life?

That's actually a very legit question. Painful but legit.

You say you're enamored with the money. How would the extra money change your life? It really comes down to doing what you enjoy. If you love work and/or would love to do something with extra money that your current circumstances preclude then it may be time to call them back. If you can't answer yes to those questions, walk away (smiling).

You say you're enamored with the money. How would the extra money change your life? It really comes down to doing what you enjoy. If you love work and/or would love to do something with extra money that your current circumstances preclude then it may be time to call them back. If you can't answer yes to those questions, walk away (smiling).

Excellent advice. Thank you.

I assume you are FI since you say you are ER'd and "happy as a clam" now. Will you be more "happy" if you take the job? If the answer is yes, then by all means do it. Once you reach FI, it is all about being "happy as a clam" IMO.

Irishgal, I was never in this position. But what struck me when I read your post was that if I went back to w*rk, I would miss my wonderfully unstructured mornings (get up when I want to, eat a healthy breakfast, all at my own pace). These have become so priceless to me.

So ask yourself what things you really like about ER and would miss the most if you went back to work.

Just my $.02.

Yeah, you can bag it if you find it a drag. But that's really not fair to put them through it all over again.

So, first consider you and what you want. If you want it go for it. At this stage of my life I wouldn't want anything, I like not working. But maybe you do and maybe a couple of years of "obscene dough" will pad a richer lifestyle.

But do the research. Jobs with a lotta dough usually mean a lotta time. You know the "casual overtime" of exempt positions. It's not a 40 hr week it's "whatever" and that can come to 60 to 80 nowadays with "work some more at home all evening on the internet before you go to bed"

Good luck!

Yeah, you can bag it if you find it a drag. But that's really not fair to put them through it all over again.

So, first consider you and what you want. If you want it go for it. At this stage of my life I wouldn't want anything, I like not working. But maybe you do and maybe a couple of years of "obscene dough" will pad a richer lifestyle.

But do the research. Jobs with a lotta dough usually mean a lotta time. You know the "casual overtime" of exempt positions. It's not a 40 hr week it's "whatever" and that can come to 60 to 80 nowadays with "work some more at home all evening on the internet before you go to bed"

Good luck!

You are spot on and what you described was my entire career and a number of other people's here as well.

I think I need to think about my statement about being "enamored" with the money, because like many of us here I really don't need more money.

Thanks

Irishgal, I was never in this position. But what struck me when I read your post was that if I went back to w*rk, I would miss my wonderfully unstructured mornings (get up when I want to, eat a healthy breakfast, all at my own pace). These have become so priceless to me.

So ask yourself what things you really like about ER and would miss the most if you went back to work.

Just my $.02.

All of this. Yep getting to sleep in, not sweating the clock during morning workouts, lunch with friends, other outings with friends, mid day hikes...

Hmmmm

It's boils down to this " YOUR MONEY or YOUR LIFE ".

You like the money, you won't have a life like you have now.

If you took the job, would you be fully committed? Would you be willing to do everything they expect? Try to remember why you wanted to ER, would those reasons still apply?

Would the money make a difference in your life or enable you to do things you wouldn't otherwise be able to do? Is there some part of the work experience that you're missing or would this job enable you to do something you've always wanted to try?

I haven't retired, so I haven't had to consider going back to work. From what you've said so far, it sounds like you've got two good options and I expect there are some pros and cons to each option.

About a week after my ER I got a call from a headhunter for a "dream job" as well. Like you, I had a knee-jerk reaction of real interest. Then I realized that besides the good pay, I'd give up my new-found free time.
Most importantly, it occurred to me they would expect me to - gulp - work! That made it easy for me, and simultaneously made me realize I truly was happy in this ER life.
(since that time, I am still holding out for an offer that will pay me, but let me stay home and not have to do anything. So far, that offer hasn't come :D)
If you're of the same mindset, just forget about it and enjoy your new ER life.

If you took the job, would you be fully committed? Would you be willing to do everything they expect? Try to remember why you wanted to ER, would those reasons still apply?

Would the money make a difference in your life or enable you to do things you wouldn't otherwise be able to do? Is there some part of the work experience that you're missing or would this job enable you to do something you've always wanted to try?

I haven't retired, so I haven't had to consider going back to work. From what you've said so far, it sounds like you've got two good options and I expect there are some pros and cons to each option.

I would because I'm hyper responsible and easily moved to take on more than I should. Never really did well at setting boundaries at w&$@.

About a week after my ER I got a call from a headhunter for a "dream job" as well. Like you, I had a knee-jerk reaction of real interest. Then I realized that besides the good pay, I'd give up my new-found free time.
Most importantly, it occurred to me they would expect me to - gulp - work! That made it easy for me, and simultaneously made me realize I truly was happy in this ER life.
(since that time, I am still holding out for an offer that will pay me, but let me stay home and not have to do anything. So far, that offer hasn't come :D)
If you're of the same mindset, just forget about it and enjoy your new ER life.

That's really helpful- especially how you describe the knee jerk reaction. That's how I feel, like it sounded great until I started thinking about it and now reading all the great posts.

Someone in another threat said "would you do the job for free?"

If you have enough money to not change your life, in effect you are working for free. It might be that type of job.

Today I was out at my part time consulting client. We were talking about next steps to wrap up my involvement. My client said that they were really hoping they could convince me to stay on and go full time. Flattered but not my plan

So nice to have the FI part to be able to politely decline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh this might be the deal breaker... My new hair color probably won't fly in the workplace. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1460685871.091205.jpg

Yup, you may be done.

But your sig says otherwise and that hair looks expensive.

Decisions, decisions....

Don't do it! I will be retired for 2 years this October (from any fulltime consulting work) and I can't imagine going back. Right after I retired I had a similar offer to be the Project Architect on a huge high rise (it is just starting construction right now). I declined and a good friend of mine took the position.

I happened to have a drink with him a few weeks ago and listening to him and all the stress, worries, etc. For me I made the right decision to decline it.

Money would have been great, but I don't really need the money, I have plenty and more importantly I have my time.

good luck on your decision!

ps--love the hair!

No one is clamoring for my services, but it would take one helluva pile of money...

Back
Top Bottom