Matching Washers & Dryers

We had a matched set in 1983 when DW and I got our first house. The 1983 dryer is still going strong. I refuse to let it die. It's very easy to get parts and work on. Washers, not so much. We get a new washer every 7-8 years. The dryer is off-white, so we usually get a middle-of-the-road white washer that comes sort-of close to matching, at least color-wise. It's pretty obvious they come from different eras, but that doesn't bother us.

My fridge and my stove are both white, food goes from one to the other, do they match?
My washer and my dryer are both white, clothing goes from one to the other, do they match?

So does this lady worry about her fridge and stove being the same model ?

An old Maytag washer came with my first house so I bought a new dryer. I had them for more than ten years and it bothered me that they did not match. Then I bought a used Kenmore set from a friend who was moving that are now more than 20 years old. When one of them breaks down, I plan to buy a new matching set. If they were in an old basement, I would not care but I have never lived in an area where the homes have basements and probably never will.

And yes, many people want their fridge, stove, and dishwasher to be the same line (e.g., shades of stainless steel may vary from model to model, design of door handles vary.)

Last edited:
Everyone's been bragging on their old appliances. But when they're replaced, bear in mind that the new washer and dryers are no where near the quality of those old appliances.

We had a Maytag Neptune front loader and it was terrible. Replaced it with a new generation Maytag top loader and it didn't last any time. Looking around, the same washer with different controls was an Admiral--entry level machine.

We switched to a Fisher & Paykel made in New Zealand. It's a completely different animal. We had some problems from it, and we unplugged and replugged it--electronics needed rebooting. Spins so fast the clothes require little drying.

We don't care that the washer and dryer don't match.

Our first washer and dryer matched in the early 80's, but not since. Replaced washer once (tub broke off in moving) and two dryers (just quit). But I buy plain white, so it's almost like they've matched all along. [Thanks for making me conscious not to buy some wild designer color washer or dryer - it might look tacky if they were different colors]

I will buy whatever is the best value regardless of brand or design. I couldn't care less if they match. Much more important to me to get them on sale than with the same design. There's no question i'm far more frugal than the average person so this may not be the norm.

Same for me. I always look for a sale or previous year model clearance, and the thought of matching both pieces or getting stainless steel has never crossed my mind. Stainless steel is nothing but a colour/design choice, although some people think the quality is better. :confused:

First house --- what ever we could find cheap (used) - did no match at all. We were still in college.

Second house (new build). New washer and dryer... different brands same color.

Moved -- used existing washer and dryer from second house.

Couple years living over seas - matching Miele washer and dryer. Sold them in host country

Moved back home and pulled old W/D from storage

Replaced washer with europe (dishwasher) sized unit. Replaced dryer with normal US dryer (mid/lower end).

-----------------
I don't understand needing matching appliances that hide in the basement. But then I have not joined the ranks the must wear designer clothes.

Many are driven by different things.

Ours are in our garage, so, no. However, being a bit OCD myself (spices alphabetized, clothes hung in order by length/color, towels folded exactly the same :blush: ), were my laundry area inside, I could definitely see doing this. Similar to how my kitchen appliances match. Color/style only though, as I'm not hung up on their all having to be the same manufacturer/model as long as the overall look is cohesive

Last edited:
No dryer, by choice.

Clothes last longer when you airdry em. So its win-win for me :) Actually had a dryer in my last place (provided by landlord), never used it.

Surprised by some folks here who have such old washing machines, the energy efficiency really went up with newer ones (<10y).

Ours match and are a set. We've never replaced only one, but when we did buy, both the replaced units were ready for the big appliance graveyard in the sky. When one unit fails we repair it, use them until both are just not up to the task.

No. In fact the last time we had to buy a washing machine we did it on the phone. Called Sears and asked when they could deliver. Two days, fine. Ordered a basic model that was on sale..DW did not care about all the knobs, settings, etc.

Salesman says...when are you coming in to see it and pay. I ask if they are still white and square. He haltingly laughs. I give him our credit card and ask him to send it out.

It is only a washer. Why on earth would we care if it matches the dryer or anything else? After all, fridge, stove, and freezer are all different brands. Come to think of it so are my power drill, my jigsaw, and my saw.
We are just not anal about things like that.

Mine match - both square-ish and white.

After 44 years on the 3rd set of W/D and they did all match. Last time the washer blew out, I had been noticing the dryer seem to be taking longer to dry. My DH found out an element was blown,which he could have replaced.

However the W/D we bought had a rebate attached if you bought both pieces and the net cost for the dryer was almost negligible after subtracting the cost of a new element as we tend to buy from the lower end range. A friend who does appliance repair once told us don't buy the cheapest by one model up from the cheapest model and that's gives you the most bang for your buck.....

Mine do not match. Current washer is new Maytag in white and we still have an old cream Kenmore dryer. When the dryer dies, we replace it with the best deal on a new white dryer.

For the first 14 years we lived in our house, the washer and dryer did not match. In 2006, we remodeled the kitchen and the young wife wanted a new set, so we got a front load LG washer and matching dryer on the pedestals. We gave the old machines to the family of one of the young wife's students, who had been using the laundromat. A win all around.

At the time we bought, yes, a matching pair (Horrors!), I thought we got a better deal than buying two different pieces separately anyway.
However the W/D we bought had a rebate attached if you bought both pieces
My experience was the same as those of gerntz and ivinsfan, when I needed to buy both a washer and a dryer for my new "dream house". I got a nice discount if I bought the matched set, over and above the discount that I got due to both being on sale to begin with. Both had great reviews and were just what I wanted, so I went with the matched set.

When I move into a new house I start with a matching pair but then one breaks and the new one no longer matches the old one .

When I move into a new house I start with a matching pair but then one breaks and the new one no longer matches the old one .

I haven't had that happen, but if it did then I don't think I'd limit myself to the one that matches. I think I'd buy one that didn't match.

Besides, the matching model would probably be discontinued and hard to find by the time the other one broke.

Mine do not match and never have. They are out in the garage where it just doesn't matter.

Surprised by some folks here who have such old washing machines, the energy efficiency really went up with newer ones (<10y).
Some only look at capital, not cash flow effect.

We never gave it a thought either. When we moved to WV they matched only because we bought them together (new house didn't have any). When the dryer died six months out of warranty and fixing it was going to cost more than half the cost of a new dryer we made sure to buy a different brand - not going to reward them for making a lousy product! I can't imagine why anyone would care if the washer & dryer matched, it's just not on the radar here.

Some only look at capital, not cash flow effect.
And sometimes, with just a couple of people in the house, the payback for a newer washer, even if it is energy efficient, is very long. Also, keeping an old appliance running prevents the use of a lot of energy to produce a new appliance.
It takes about 7,000 kWH of energy to produce a washing machine. If I wash 3 loads per week, and each load uses .26 KWH, I can wash my clothes for 172 years before I've used enough electricity to produce a new machine. Water costs about 4 cents per load, and if I assume that this represents only the fuel needed to pump and store it ( a generous assumption), then that cuts the energy break-even point to about 80 years (if the modern marvel machine uses zero water--again, a highly generous assumption). Now, if I used hot water (which I do very seldom, modern detergents work well in "cold" water), or if I washed many more loads per week, or if water was scarce in my area, then a modern efficient washer it might make sense from a public good or an economic standpoint, but for most empty nesters in areas with "regular" utility rates, it does not. Keeping old appliances running is a more responsible and a more thrifty course of action.

Back
Top Bottom