Strange credit card issue - should I ignore?

lucky penny

Full time employment: Posting here.
I just received a letter from "Credit Services" in Delaware stating that my request for an increase in my credit card limit was declined because "Delinquency date too recent." It also states that this decision was "influenced in whole or in part" by my credit report from Trans Union, and that my credit score is - ta da! - 835. The letter provides an address to contact if I have any questions.

Bizarre. I immediately requested my credit report from Trans Union. It shows a perfect record of payments going back for years - no late payments & no delinquencies. I actually only have 2 credit cards & always pay the entire balance each month; no other debt.

After JetBlue terminated its American Express cards last spring and the accounts were moved to a Barclaycard/Mastercard, I did request an increase in the credit limit for the new card. No special reason, just thought it might be nice to have -- I'm not planning to borrow or buy anything in particular.

I assume that "recent delinquency" is probably an error, somebody pushed the wrong key on a form letter (maybe they should have said: too little credit/debt). I also assume that if I wrote to the address provided (just a box number, no name, no phone number given), the chance of getting a good explanation in response is close to zero. I really don't care too much about this since, as I said, I'm not planning to buy or borrow.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this? Should I just let it go?

If the bank or credit card did not name themselves, "Credit Services" is spam. If this is your credit card issuer, you should call them and ask for the details regarding the request.

Last edited:
Well - he did recently request an increase in his credit limit.

Be sure to contact your credit card company directly (use the number on the back of the card) to ask them about the status of your credit limit increase request. And if they have erroneous information you can tell them there is no recent delinquency on your Trans Union credit report.

I would be inclined to follow it up. Can you see from your credit history that there was an inquiry related to your credit limit increase request?

If the bank or credit card did not name themselves, "Credit Services" is spam. If this is your credit card issuer, you should call them and ask for the details regarding the request.

Be aware that my Barclay Arrivial + Mastercard lists "Card Services" as the payee for check payments and the postal addressee.

That being said it could still be an impersonation.

-gauss

Attachments

• CardServices.JPG
    CardServices.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 38
Call your credit card company using the phone number on your credit card or credit card statement and ask them about it?

+1 what MichaelB says.

There are so many of these scams, that they begin to look real.

Did your free credit report list recent inquiries? If there is one you didn't authorize then I'd be concerned.

Sent from my XT1585 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Mystery not solved, but I did want to give an update. The letter certainly looked genuine; it did contain accurate info about my account, including my credit score, and I think I did request an increase in the credit limit when I got the card. So I called the credit card company and was told that my limit WAS increased from $35,000 to $40,000. (Big whoop-de-doo!) I think I'd asked for a larger amount, mostly on principle. No way I've ever been near that number.

Pretty much as I expected, the agent couldn't explain the letter I received & recited customer service gobbledygook. Guess they're never gonna say: "Sorry, mistake."

I'm guessing the amount I requested was too big an increase for a new account. The computer didn't have a form letter for that so it generated another form, too bad if it's confusing.

Such is life. Back to enjoying this beautiful Sunday.

FWIW $35,000 is a large limit for a credit card. I only have that level on my Chase United Airlines Club VISA which is a "metal" card with a high annual fee. Well, I think my PenFed VISA has over $30K too.

If it's a new account, I think the increase to $40,000 is pretty accommodating. In a couple of years they would probably increase more if you asked.

Thanks for reporting back on your story.

Thanks, Audrey. I really had no sense of a typical credit card limit since I've never come close to it.

This card is a Jet Blue MasterCard that I got when JB ended its relationship with American Express earlier this year. No annual fee & you get points for JB flights.

Your credit limit was increased to the point it didn't trigger a credit check. If you want more, then be aware a credit check will be performed and will affect your credit rating.

The $5k increase may also be an internal cap on how much the needle will move at any one time. Once you operate well with $40k, then going to $45k will be an easy approval. Most banks will only go up so much at a time, no matter how awesome your credit is.

They have to be wary of "healthy" people planning to go "unhealthy" in a big blow out.

Most of my cards have increased the limits over time without me ever asking - my Penfed Visa is now at $50k (which is their max) after an initial line of $15k when I opened the account a few years ago. I think most cards do this so unless there is an urgent need, the limits will likely rise over time anyway (as long as credit rating is high).

Back
Top Bottom