Anyone Get This Ringo Starr Reference?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here's an email I got, indirectly, from a reader. It was titled "Next Book, Please."

You do have obligations to great grandmothers. .what if I die before it comes out. I'm the old lady who thinks you,re funny. I don't text or email, however a very clean old lady.......hint 1 Ringo Starr?

I don't get the hint. Anyone? Is she 64??

The song "When I'm 64" was written and sung by Paul McCartney, so I wouldn't think this is what she's referring to. Maybe she's actually 76 years old, the same as Ringo?

Not sure what she means. In Cockney rhyming slang Ringo Starr is "bar" but that makes no sense either.

When I'm 64 might be her reference although that was written by Paul McCartney.

Pretty oblique. Slow day here, but maybe: I googled "clean old lady" and Ringo. In A Hard Day's Night movie, Paul's grandfather is referred to as a "clean old man" several times. Plus I found this dialog from the movie where Ringo is apparently reading a book (I don't remember the movie):

Grandfather: Would you look at him? Sittin' there with his hooter scrapin' away at that book!
Ringo: Well, what's the matter with that?
Grandfather: Have you no natural resources of your own? Have they even robbed you of that?
Ringo: You can learn from books!
Grandfather: You can, can you? Pahh! Sheeps' heads! You could learn more by gettin' out there and living!
Ringo: Out where?
Grandfather: Any old where! But not our little Richard. Oh, no. When you're not thumpin' them pagan skins you're tormenting your eyes with that rubbish.
Ringo: Books are good.
Grandfather: *Parading's* better.
Ringo: Parading?
Grandfather: [nods eagerly] Parading the streets! Trailing your coat! Bowling along! LIVING!
Ringo: Well, I am living.
Grandfather: You? Living? When was the last time you gave a girl a pink-edged daisy? When did you last embarrass a sheila with your cool, appraising stare?
Ringo: You're a bit old for that sort of chat, aren't you?
Grandfather: Well at least I've got a backlog of memories! All you've got is - THAT BOOK!

Last edited:
Barbara Bach is 69, so it ain't her.

Here's an email I got, indirectly, from a reader. It was titled "Next Book, Please."

however a very clean old lady.......hint 1 Ringo Starr?

I don't get the hint. Anyone? Is she 64??

The no no song?

No no no no, I don't smoke it no more
I'm tired of waking up on the floor
No, thank you, please,

Last edited:
Agree with the "clean old man" reference. But it was Paul's grandfather. Maybe the Ringo note was just a bit of misremembering?

Pretty oblique. Slow day here, but maybe: I googled "clean old lady" and Ringo. In A Hard Day's Night movie, Paul's grandfather is referred to as a "clean old man" several times. Plus I found this dialog from the movie where Ringo is apparently reading a book (I don't remember the movie):
Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner.

Back
Top Bottom