No Medicare Coverage

PERSonalTime

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone reached the age of 65 and retired without Medicare coverage? I know someone will be in that situation and never paid into the SS/Medicare system and; therefore, will not qualify for either. They won't be covered by work related healthcare either. If you're in that situation, how have you managed?

Yes I know of two people in this situation. One was a 50-ish lady, single mother and self employed artist. She never filed a tax return in her life, but kept up her looks. She married herself out of the situation.

Another guy and his wife immigrated to the U.S. not long enough to get SS and no retirement from their home country. Also apparently preferred to live large rather than save. Recently told me he and his wife will have to work until they die.... but that they "like" their work.

Life is certainly a crazy balancing act, enjoying the present while saving for the unknown future. Makes me realize how lucky I am.

IIRC, if 65 + but did not qualify , you can buy into medicare, but it's quite expensive. ACA policy should cost less.

Has anyone reached the age of 65 and retired without Medicare coverage? I know someone will be in that situation and never paid into the SS/Medicare system and; therefore, will not qualify for either. They won't be covered by work related healthcare either. If you're in that situation, how have you managed?

My FIL never had Medicare coverage even though for many years he paid into SS/Medicare system. As I understand it when he turned 65 he never signed up for Medicare, hence, never started paying the monthly premiums. I assume he never signed up for it as he is a veteran and felt he could always get his health care for free thru the VA. Yes, he has always been really cheap, sometimes to his detriment.

When he finally figured out that Medicare would have been the smart way to go, he would have been required to pay huge monthly premiums to make up for the number of years he did not pay premiums. Of course by then it was no longer an option because he could not afford the cost. Over the years he neglected his health because it is a long distance to the nearest VA clinic and even further to the nearest VA hospital. My opinion is the care/service he received from the VA was inferior to what he would have received locally using Medicare.

While I will qualify for medicare in 2 years, I do not plan to use it. I live overseas and can buy a policy here that will give me far better care then I could recieve in the US with the exception of about 100 or so hospitals scattered around the USA.

While I will qualify for medicare in 2 years, I do not plan to use it. I live overseas and can buy a policy here that will give me far better care then I could recieve in the US with the exception of about 100 or so hospitals scattered around the USA.

Unless I was 1000% I was never, ever coming back to US, I think I'd look for the cheapest Medicare solution to preserve the option to return to US.

But that's me: a belt and suspenders kind of guy...

I think it's still pay for Medicare B. Just in case. It's not that expensive.

Why would one need both?

Take you pick for an answer:

A. God laughs while man makes plans

or

B. Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

I should have been more clear, I will keep medicare A and B (pay for B), but I doubt I will use it. Likewise, I will keep my private policy in force down here, even if I move to the USA for a few years (as is our plan). If you do not keep it in force after age 65 (you lose it forever) and the premiums are capped at age 70 until you die.

I once did business with a gentleman that operated his business as SubCHapter S. And he was unprofitable for many, many years--not paying any income taxes.

When he turned retirement age, he closed the business and applied for Social Security. Needless to say he didn't pay into the system and he didn't get much of anything out of it. Might be the say way for Medicare.

My FIL never had Medicare coverage even though for many years he paid into SS/Medicare system. As I understand it when he turned 65 he never signed up for Medicare, hence, never started paying the monthly premiums. I assume he never signed up for it as he is a veteran and felt he could always get his health care for free thru the VA. Yes, he has always been really cheap, sometimes to his detriment.

When he finally figured out that Medicare would have been the smart way to go, he would have been required to pay huge monthly premiums to make up for the number of years he did not pay premiums. Of course by then it was no longer an option because he could not afford the cost. Over the years he neglected his health because it is a long distance to the nearest VA clinic and even further to the nearest VA hospital. My opinion is the care/service he received from the VA was inferior to what he would have received locally using Medicare.
Wow!

I once did business with a gentleman that operated his business as SubCHapter S. And he was unprofitable for many, many years--not paying any income taxes.

When he turned retirement age, he closed the business and applied for Social Security. Needless to say he didn't pay into the system and he didn't get much of anything out of it. Might be the say way for Medicare.

DW has a friend who is in a similar position... she has continually worked in numerous low wage jobs... often under the table and paid little in income taxes or SS tax (she has paid some since some of her jobs have been W-2 above the table).

I don't think she has any clue how screwed she will be when she is in her 60s and beyond. Sad.

40 quarters (10 years) paying FICA and you're eligible for Medicare. Or you're eligible through your spouse or ex-spouse (10 years married) if they meet that work requirement.

I don't think it matters how little you earned as long as you paid some in Medicare during each of 40 quarters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom