I've got that spring feeling... did you get anything done?

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ok I edged and then cleaned up the beds on the side lawn ..it gets sun from the morning to about 2. Then I sat in my well padded rocker (Betsy) in the sun and dozed a bit after about half an hour I reluctantly got my backpack blower and cleaned the side and backyard and then back to Betsy.

This time the dog joined me and dozed at my feel. Heaven. After another snooze I put Dusty inside and then I really got ambitious and pulled out my mantis sized rotor tiller. And I did all the raised beds that I use for veggies and the got the big beds ready for my potatoes. That little guy is a workout. A little while after I was done the Mrs mowed the side lawn...

It never got out of the low sixties but it was sunny all day. God I missed the warm weather. It makes an old man feel alive.

Last edited:
This is really the first day that feels like Spring. After church and a quick lunch, I uncovered my fig trees, planted potatoes and onions, prepared a new bed and planted some asparagus crowns in it. I also started in on mulching, then watered everything and put my tools away. I'm tired. I've got plenty more to do next weekend.

I've been thinking f the cure to my doziness, if there is such a word. It's nice an sunny here and my husband and I did some yard work again, I filled another tub with strawberry plants, hoping for some organic strawberries in the future. Got some organic blueberries from the garden for my husband's breakfast tomorrow. I think I got to plan more blueberry plants next year. Homegrown blueberries taste wonderful. But after lunch, more dozing for both hubby and I. What a wonderful life. Retirement that is.

Tried and failed to start "DW's" lawn mower. It is electric start and light enough for her to handle. Battery is charged but there is no voltage drop across the terminals when the key is turned so something got disconnected or broken while it was sitting in the shed.

I'm going to take it to a shop tomorrow, one of the luxuries of being retired is saying "I don't want to be bothered with this stuff anymore".

Also sent an E-mail to the guy that did the mowing last year to make sure he's still in business and has us on his customer list. The grass is a bit longish and it is not like him to wait that long. He seemed to be in his late 50's so I hope he's okay.

After a month of boating in the South, the last two weeks in shorts, t-shirt and bare feet, coming home to 8" of heavy, wet snow didn't feel like Spring at all ;)

But before it snowed, I did get some yard clean-up from the previous storm done, checked on MY boat (still shrink-wrapped up here in the Great White North) and started clearing out my dining room as the first step toward a full renovation.

We are well past the worst part of Winter and coasting down toward Summer.

10 months into retirement and I still wonder how I ever found time to w*rk.

It snowed all day yesterday. I refrained from plowing. It is all melted today. Another snow storm in a couple of days. I guess I'll wait for a while for Spring.

Today I pulled my kayak out of storage in the crawl space and practiced putting it on my roof rack. (We bought a new vehicle a month ago so I wanted to make sure the crossbars were set properly and I have the correct lengths for the tie-downs). Roll clinics in the (indoor) pool start on Wednesday.

Washed the windows last week, picked up 2 gallons of paint this weekend and will start painting the master bedroom this week. If the weather is really nice I might say 'to hell with it' and go golfing instead.

I will thatch the lawn tomorrow and pickup all the dead old grass. It has been a great spring here but have enjoyed it other ways besides working around the yard and house. I suppose it's time to get things done.

Spring? We were into summer a month ago when temperature got into the 90s, and cooked our cool-season home-grown veggie.

The last few days were nice, when the high dropped to the low 70s. It may not last long though.

Yesterday we aerated, fertilized, and seeded the yard. Then a light sprinkling of straw atop that. C'mon rain!! Time for some new shoots of grass....

Spring? We were into summer a month ago when temperature got into the 90s, and cooked our cool-season home-grown veggie.

The last few days were nice, when the high dropped to the low 70s. It may not last long though.

We've also been running close to 90 recently. However, our lettuce garden has survived. Earlier this year we got hold of a couple of old, really beat up upright ice chests (beer coolers). We sanded them down and painted them and decided to use them as planters. We planted lettuce in one, but since we're leaving in about a month we didn't plant anything in the other one.

Anyway, the lettuce has been producing as fast as we can eat it. I didn't expect it to last since it's been so hot. But now we're suspecting that the insulated walls of the chest are keeping the soil cool during the hot days. Plus since it's on wheels we rolled it over to part of the yard where it's mostly in the shade, just enough sun to keep it producing. It's been a lot of fun.

Attachments

• DSCF1576.jpg
    DSCF1576.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 14
It's not good weather here. It's cold and cloudy. Not springy at all.
But the lettuce looks good, the sun is too strong here, my lettuces are sometimes bitter.

I didn't have to take the mower to the shop after all. Since I don't use it, I forgot that it doesn't have a blade clutch like the other two mowers do. You have to hold a handle down to start it and when the handle is released the engine stops.:facepalm:

Pulled the lawn tractor out of the shed yesterday, finally had to put a new battery in it. The old one was 8 years old so it was well past due. Today I drained the gas and summerized the snowblower then put it in the shed for the summer. Still keeping the snow shovel in the garage, just in case! 😁

You mean yard work? Pfffft.

I decided that I don't want to do yard work any more. I did enough of it when I was working, spending way too much of my precious free time pulling weeds and cutting back vegetation (which grows like a jungle here). But how to get away from yard work? I also don't want to live in a condo or apartment.

I found a solution, which I believe is the next best thing to living in condo for those of us who loathe yardwork. I now have nothing but grass growing on my lot. I mean nothing, period. I have a reliable, very expert lawn guy who keeps the grass nicely mowed and edged at all times. So, my yard work consists of paying him and that's about it. I do have a couple of large containers/beds that I could plant something in if I wanted to, but so far the desire has not arisen.

Other than yard work, spring has been here for quite some time. We have been having highs in the 80's most days and I have been wearing shorts, a lightweight short sleeved blouse, and sandals almost every day for quite a while. It's 81F right now.

At this time of year, I can say that I just simply do NOT understand why you all live in such hideously cold climates with all that ice and sleet and snow and cold stuff falling out of the sky; I can even suggest that you should move south to a place with a civilized climate! But I will be singing another tune in August and September when the heat here is so extreme.

At this time of year, I can say that I just simply do NOT understand why you all live in such hideously cold climates with all that ice and sleet and snow and cold stuff falling out of the sky; I can even suggest that you should move south to a place with a civilized climate!

Oh I tried, I tried, I tried to get DW to move south! But she simply would not consider moving more than an hour away from her family. And since, as the saying goes, "I've grown accustomed to her face" was forcing the issue really worth the resentment it would have cost? I doubt it.

Oh I tried, I tried, I tried to get DW to move south! But she simply would not consider moving more than an hour away from her family. And since, as the saying goes, "I've grown accustomed to her face" was forcing the issue really worth the resentment it would have cost? I doubt it.

AWWWW!!! That is so sweet. I think you and your DW have a pretty wonderful romance going on. You two are just made for each other. :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom