Virtual Reality - Gimmick or Not

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Currently I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 which has served me well for over two years and I had no plans to replace it anytime soon. However, thanks to another thread a few weeks ago, I learned that the Galaxy S8 was being offered directly from Samsung with a very generous trade-in offer of $200 for my old phone. Tmobile OTOH will only give me $34 as tradein value. Today I checked to see if the Samsung online offer was still active and now I see that in addition to the tradein value, they are offering a bonus gift of their Gear VR with Controller for free. Old fogey that I am, I've never played around with virtual reality tech since I assumed it was really just for gamers and so I was never interested (not being a gamer myself). Now I'm wondering if I would get any use out of such a freebie or would this just be something else to throw up on eBay (and get $60 for based on current auctions?) Thanks for any ideas especially from anyone who has used the technology.

Watched something funny on the morning news (forget if yesterday or today) related to VR and stress relief. In this situation, future possible explorers had to stay in a cramped place on the volcano rocks of Hawaii to simulate living in mars for about a year. I guess when some who were in the biosphere mars simulation years ago, weren't aren't speaking terms with each other when stay ended. So, not wanted to to repeat a similar situation, if folks get on each other's nerves, they'd use their VR setup to escape.

As for day to day use, I haven't tried so can't comment on.

My nephew makes VR videos and some are pretty compelling. I have watched of few of them using an iPhone with a Google Cardboard viewer and was impressed. That said, the whole thing is a bit of a PITA so I don't know how likely it is to affect mainstream audiences. Gamers should be a big market.

Back
Top Bottom