A Good Alternative to MalwareBytes?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Haven't had good luck with MalwareBytes (MB) recently. I used to consider MB the gold standard in maleware removal but looks like MB has gone the nag route. Maybe not nag pop ups but no more totally free without hints to upgrade to premium?

Plus, seems like MB is slowing down my browser and just caused a crash by being too aggressive in flagging what it said was an exploit.

Recommendations for a replacement?

I am cheap so looking for free or free and open source.

Last edited:
I have not found anything better at removing malware than malwarebytes but I only use it standalone and do a manual scans. I'll install it when repairing a PC for someone but I remove it afterwards. I think the nagware started with version 3, I still have 2.x on my PC and no nags.

Here's a link that describes how to disable their tray tool, https://www.schrockinnovations.com/disable-malwarebytes-premium-trial-expired-popups/

MSE is probably good enough, free and no nags. Most of the other free ones have nags

I have not found anything better at removing malware than malwarebytes but I only use it standalone and do a manual scans. I'll install it when repairing a PC for someone but I remove it afterwards. I think the nagware started with version 3, I still have 2.x on my PC and no nags.

Here's a link that describes how to disable their tray tool, https://www.schrockinnovations.com/disable-malwarebytes-premium-trial-expired-popups/

MSE is probably good enough, free and no nags. Most of the other free ones have nags

Thanks for the suggestions. I was using the totally free version then one day did an update and next thing, the update turned into a free premium trial which I really do not want.

MB told me I had a new version but the installer failed. So I am looking too.

I have been very happy with ESET Smart Security. Best protection of many programs that I have had over the years.

For my PCs I have used MSE (and it's follow-ons) with no problems for years.

I have used Malwarebytes and MSE (or Windows Defender, depending on the OS) for many years. I used to use Spybot but it hasn't been very useful for a while. I can't say I have been seeing any of those nags others described.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm still on the free trial period of Malewarebytes (MB) Premium. Think I'll probably end up sticking to MB for the trust factor as MB has caught many malware for me in the past.

I like to only run on demand and not have MB start with Windows (not sure how to set to off...or perhaps when the free trial ends, MB won't start automatically). I do have a program to control start ups, so can get around this inconvenience, IMO.

If you are not going to pay for the premium, remember malwarebytes free is a removal/cleaning tool ( very good one) but it is not real time prevention/protection.

You can use msconfig, select the "startup" tab and choose what runs on startup.

Any opinions of Spybot ??

Spybot was good about 10+ years ago, but other than flagging cookies and some false positives it hasn't fund anything bad in so long that I stopped running it years ago. I didn't bother to reinstall it last year when I replaced my failing hard drive.

If I weren’t grandfathered into it, I would pay for Malwarebytes.

DW just runs the free version every 2 weeks. She logs in as Guest to avoid possible downloads of executable malware.

Back
Top Bottom