Favorite streaming service

Free bird

Full time employment: Posting here.
Anyone have one? Netflix Amazon prime Hulu Vudu other? Ripper street just out on netflix. Its supposed to be good.

I find myself using mostly youtube but sometimes Amazon Prime movies. Lots of documentary movies, older movies, TV shows like Modern Marvels (a favorite of mine) and such on youtube.

We currently are using Amazon (prime member) and Netflix and PS Vue. I hope to do a trial with Hulu one day because I want to see which one we like best - Netflix or Hulu.

Kids's use "you tube" for childrens shows and gaming hacks the most, Wife and I have netflix because it is free (another family member has an account).

this should be a poll...

We currently are using Amazon (prime member) and Netflix and PS Vue. I hope to do a trial with Hulu one day because I want to see which one we like best - Netflix or Hulu.
A poll could be meaningless if services aren’t apples to apples.
  • Some are good at on demand movies and little else (Netflix etc)
  • Some are good at on demand TV shows (all reruns), and little else. (Hulu etc)
  • Some have TV the day after they air, some release whole seasons a year after.
  • Some have original content, some don’t. (HBO Now etc)
  • Some provide live TV broadcasts, without any local live networks (Sling TV) so you might have to augment with OTA
  • Some provide live TV and some local networks (Direct TV Now?)
  • Some provide live TV including all local networks (PlayStation Vue but only in major markets)
  • The channel lineups differ, so personal choice is key
  • Some include cloud DVR’s, some don’t
  • Some only offer 1 stream, some stream up to 5 simultaneously
  • Some are available on smart TV, some on streamers (Roku, Apple, Amazon Fire) and some only cast from mobile devices (YouTube TV)
  • And various combinations of the above, ever changing...

Our “favorites” will vary considerably...

Last edited:
That's a good point and in reality the best streaming service is the streaming service that you put together Yourself by subscribing to One streaming service for a while and then the next one and then the next one and then cycling back through them again.

At one time or another, we have subscribed to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Curiosity Stream, PBS Passport, and PS Vue. We like them all, but it's hard to pick a favorite because they all offer vastly different types of content. Also, DW and I use them for different things. She tends to like movies and popular shows. I tend to like documentaries and DIY type shows.

I'll just say that PS Vue is our home base for the major networks and about 10-15 cable channels that have some shows we like. After PS Vue, Netflix probably gets the most use. We're starting to use Prime more mainly because it's super easy to find content on the Fire TV platform. PS Vue does not have the local PBS station, so the PBS app (with Passport) gets a lot of mileage. I have no use for Hulu but DW used it from time to time when we subscribed.

Curiosity Stream is a great streaming service for top notch documentaries related to science, technology, nature, and history. But they add new content at a very slow pace. So I subscribe for one month and binge-watch everything that interests me. Then I unsubscribe for 2-3 months while they build up some new content, and repeat.

^^^ just like us. The PS Vue Core package will be primary (because they also offer all local major networks live where we live and cloud DVR), PBS Passport next, and free YouTube. We’re saving so much we’ll probably get Netflix since DW loves movies.

Hulu would be redundant with PS Vue, and Netflix is reportedly a little better for movies than Amazon unless you already have Amazon Prime?

Last edited:
We dropped Cable TV a few months back.

I expected to get DirectTV Now or one of the other similar services, but frankly don't feel the need yet. I'm starting to think we can skip the "streaming cable" services.

We probably watch Netflix the most, followed by Amazon Prime. We've had them both for ages and they add enough content on a regular basis that we keep using them.

Our fallback isn't another streaming service but OTA + TiVo. We watch local news, Jeopardy, and a couple of network shows (really only a few these days).

With these three options we have more TV content than we have time for.

We use these Pay services: DirecTV NOW (+HBO+SHOWTIME), Netflix, and Amazon Prime.

With those, I use PlayOn as a DVR and play back through SageTV on the HTPC. (PLEX is also a big factor in this area.)

Nevertheless, most of our TV watching is OTA (Denver has a huge number of stations available via antenna). SageTV is used as a DVR for these broadcasts.

Now, having said that, we have a ROKU device connected to each TV (including the one in the RV). With a ROKU device (or similar box), there are a gagillion streaming networks that are available for free. Therefore, for little cost (<$50 for equipment and the cost of Internet) anyone can have streaming TV... well, and a television set, of course.

Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Have Formed the Perfect Streaming Trifecta

Hub’s research only shows how people are using each service, not how objectively good each service is so it’s still going to be up to you to determine how much each subscription is worth. However, it paints a much different picture than what we’re used to. In the past, we viewed Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon as competing for the same, all-you-can-eat buffet of all content. Now, each one has honed itself down to a specialty. Put together, all three subscriptions are still only about $30/month (or you can save money by rotating your subscriptions) which isn’t a bad deal to have access to almost anything you could want to watch.

I record most of our TV shows using an outdoor antenna and a four tuner card in my computer. I also download shows from the internet, Youtube and whatnot. The only streaming service I use is NetFlix, but we don't have time to watch it much.

I've been trying to find a good streaming service for my mother (who watches TV all day long). Right now she uses Netflix and Starz a lot, but I've been looking for a good replacement for her cable TV. I've tried Sling, Playstation Vue, Hulu, Curiosity Stream, and DirectTV now. The biggest problem with most of them is that the menus are too complicated for her to understand. So I end up cancelling them shortly afterwards.

I'm currently evaluating a new one called Philo https://try.philo.com/. It's only $16 a month and has a good selection of channels if you're not into sports. I still need to have mom try it and see what she thinks.

Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, all connected through Roku. Do other 'free' services available through Roku such as Roku, You Tube, Crackle, PBS, etc. But the pay services are my favorites - equally. It really depends on the time of the year, sometimes Netflix has more available than Hulu.

I find the quality of series developed by both Netflix and Amazon to be excellant viewing.

- RIta

Amazon Prime, because in addition to the video streaming, I get music streaming and all of the shopping benefits for about the same cost as other video-only services.

Netflix because we tried Amazon when we had Prime, and found it barely added anything and would be a lousy replacement for Netflix. We were hoping to save on the $10/mo cost of Netflix.

We get OTA stations, lots of them, many HD.

Like Walt above, I've recently been utilizing the Youtube channel on the Roku much more extensively. It comes up with very relevant recommendations based on my viewing.

We also have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon and between them I think we generally spend the most time on Hulu these days. This is a change in that historically it's always been Netflix mostly. With the recent increase in price of Netflix, we dropped down to their cheapest plan - SD with one viewer and don't notice any difference.

Like Sunset, we also have OTA (75+ channels) + Tivo (no fees) DVR.

Today, we have so many viewing alternatives and so little cost in comparison to when we had cable and DirecTV.

My favorite is Netflix. Then Amazon Prime.

But, both take a back seat to the real love of my TV life - A flat wave antenna connected to my OTA Tivo DVR.

I use Netflix and have confirmed that it works in Mexico, Germany, France and Italy. The only problem is with subtitles. Like the movie is dubbed in German but with only French subtitles.

For others, we use Kodi on my laptop with a Chromecast to the TV. We often find that the TV itself will stream France 24 in English as well as Al Jazeera, RT, and a few others for news. Interesting perspectives and better than the all trump all the time us networks.

Our biggest problem is finding what we want. We first search Netflix then try Kodi and tracktv. We find that Kodi is better at downloading than live streaming because it compensates for bad times and gives us a good download. It takes 45 minutes to download a movie and can manage 2 or 3 at a time.

We don't do Prime because we are Canadian and do not buy much. After being retired for 15 years, we have most everything we want.

I use Netflix and have confirmed that it works in Mexico, Germany, France and Italy. The only problem is with subtitles. Like the movie is dubbed in German but with only French subtitles.

For others, we use Kodi on my laptop with a Chromecast to the TV. We often find that the TV itself will stream France 24 in English as well as Al Jazeera, RT, and a few others for news. Interesting perspectives and better than the all trump all the time us networks.

Our biggest problem is finding what we want. We first search Netflix then try Kodi and tracktv. We find that Kodi is better at downloading than live streaming because it compensates for bad times and gives us a good download. It takes 45 minutes to download a movie and can manage 2 or 3 at a time.

We don't do Prime because we are Canadian and do not buy much. After being retired for 15 years, we have most everything we want.

Sounds like you may have gone to the dark side of Kodi.

Sounds like you may have gone to the dark side of Kodi.
Yea I must admit that I don't use it much. There is enough Netflix to last for ten years. Went there for Nashville (disappointing) and Handmaids Tale (satisfied with 4 episodes).

Back
Top Bottom