CA holding back refunds

Souschef

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am involved in free tax preparation through the AARP/IRS program.
I just got a notice that the CA Franchise Tax Board (FTB) is asking for more documentation from some taxpayers to preclude identity theft.
They have a special form to fill out that requests copies of your Social Security Card and copies of W-2's and 1099's.
They say it may take as much as 3 months to process the information and the refund:confused:

Oh no, I hope this doesn’t impact us. I don’t even have a copy of my SS card.

Many states have instituted new procedures to prevent fraudulent tax refunds. A very good thing IMHO.

CA hasn't pestered me about my little $54 refund so I guess I can go back to sleep. But I thought Social Security says the card should not be used as an identity card. I too don't have one and don't fell like unfreezing my credit to file for one (they use credit agencies to verify you).

Depending on where you live, you might be required to show an original Social Security card to get a new driver's license.

DW and I found ourselves in that boat a number of years ago, which meant an unpleasant couple of hours going to the local SS office to get a new card. We keep them very safe now.

Many states have instituted new procedures to prevent fraudulent tax refunds. A very good thing IMHO.

Well, except the cost of the extra procedures could easily be more than the cost of fraud. And once those procedures are in place they will be there for a long time.

Depending on where you live, you might be required to show an original Social Security card to get a new driver's license.

DW and I found ourselves in that boat a number of years ago, which meant an unpleasant couple of hours going to the local SS office to get a new card. We keep them very safe now.

I just got an email from SS saying you can replace your SS card on line. :)

I just got an email from SS saying you can replace your SS card on line. :)

Do you have to send them a scanned copy of your SS card to verify your identity before you can get the replacement online?:)

The concept of CA using a scanned copy of a SS card to verify an individual's identity is crazy. Is Photoshop unavailable to identity thieves?

CA Refunds

I am involved in free tax preparation through the AARP/IRS program.
I just got a notice that the CA Franchise Tax Board (FTB) is asking for more documentation from some taxpayers to preclude identity theft.
They have a special form to fill out that requests copies of your Social Security Card and copies of W-2's and 1099's.
They say it may take as much as 3 months to process the information and the refund:confused:

I feel your pain. Massachusetts has to rank near the top for states that delay refunds the longest for exactly this reason: increased fraud and identity theft. Their website said expect to wait 4-8 additional weeks. After chasing them for 5 months, I finally received my 2016 refund in September of last year( I sent my return, which was correct, on March 24th, '17). They will tell you anything to keep from releasing what is rightfully yours.

Yep - here in TX you have to show your SS card even for driver’s license renewals!

It’s required in GA.

Do you have to send them a scanned copy of your SS card to verify your identity before you can get the replacement online?:)

The concept of CA using a scanned copy of a SS card to verify an individual's identity is crazy. Is Photoshop unavailable to identity thieves?

Yeah, I gotta believe this is just a deterrent to ID thieves and a way to decrease outflow from the state coffers.

When fraudulent returns were filed for our returns, the state detected it, cancelled the return, and notified us. The key tells are usually pretty easy to detect if anyone is paying attention:
  • Return filed electronically claiming refund
  • Payment instructions changed from prior year
  • Multiple direct deposits or checks to a single account/address

Several years after we had the false return filed, I got a letter from a distant state stating that "the documentation to verify your tax return has not been received and your claim is denied". I called them up and they said a return was filed in that state which was flagged as suspicious. They said it was not unusual for ID thieves to file claims in multiple other states. It didn't all make sense, but I did not bother to investigate.

I filed my taxes on 3/15 and received my CA refund on 4/10. IRS refund came a week earlier. Both were filed with paper returns.

Unfortunately, the Equifax breach has given the bad guys all the important information they need to commit identity theft. So everybody - consumers, stores, taxpayers, government institutions and law enforcement - must now be extra vigilant.

Last edited:
You mean that card that has clearly printed on it that it is not to be used it for identification ?

Yes. I don’t think it is used for identity verification. Getting a new license you are required to bring other official ID like passport or birth certificate. I’m not sure why they insist on the SS card.

And when renewing or changing address online no such docs are required. :facepalm:

Although they probably require you to enter it to check against their records. I don’t remember as I always have to renew or make changes in person since I have a class B license. I always have to sign an affidavit stating that I am not driving commercially.

Last edited:
Well, except the cost of the extra procedures could easily be more than the cost of fraud. And once those procedures are in place they will be there for a long time.

And that would still be a good thing as more workers would get the money (at IRS, post office, etc) instead of criminals.

Had to get a SS card when they started requiring it for driver's license renewals.

Have to say the local SS office has to be the most depressing place I've ever been.

Including hospital ERs.

Back
Top Bottom