Laptop issue, might need a new one

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a 4-year old Toshiba Satellite L55 laptop with
Core i5, 8GB memory, 1 TB hard drive, using Firefox.

Last night it was working beautifully and then would crap out (screen display on but nothing working..had to use on/off button to turn off) after about 15-20 min. I refreshed Firefox, same result. I switched to Internet Explorer, same result. I downloaded Malwarewbytes and did full scans...nothing. I ran a chkdsk C: at Command Prompt...the hard drive showed no issues.

I thought it might possibly be a fan issue, but it doesn't feel hot. I also tried fanning it with a piece of paper, but it still crapped out.

Since it only stays on for short periods, I'm concerned about using it too much at the moment, for fear of it dying completely.

So, while slowly composing this on my Nexus tablet, I'm thinking I should likely get another laptop. I know we have some folks here who seem to keep an eye out for 'good deals' or good laptops that are available.

Any suggestions? Or further things I might try on the troublesome laptop?

I'm back in Michigan with access to all the big box retailers, plus Microcenter. Don't have a Costco membership, but a major deal might entice me to join.

omni

I don't have a fix or replacement suggestion, but I strongly suggest you make sure you have it fully backed up, and keep it backed up.

By "crapped out', I gathered that means laptop shutdown by itself?

If so, you may be on the right track about it being an overheating issue as when that happens, some computers auto shut down as a protective measure. You may want to install some temperature monitor software and fan monitor software to see if the temps rise a lot and or fan spins at high speeds before "crapping out"

I assumed, laptop was plugged in, so not a battery issue?

Oh, I had a problem with a hinge, apparently crimping a wire. I took it apart (not too hard), and ordered a new hinge (< $20) but when I put it back together it worked again.

Sometimes CPU cooling fans get flaky or gummed up with dust and the CPU gets too hot and shuts down via thermal overload. I've fixed a few that had that happen. Could be easily repaired if that's the issue.

I'm thinking I should likely get another laptop. I know we have some folks here who seem to keep an eye out for 'good deals' or good laptops that are available.

Any suggestions?

Without knowing your laptop needs, and what would constitute a "good deal" to you it's hard to make a recommendation.

I always suggest that folks consider a Chromebook first. And if you want top quality and capability at a higher price point the new Pixelbooks are terrific machines.

I require Windows. I recently purchased a Dell XPS 13 and am quite pleased with it. I got mine through Amazon after searching a number of sites. It was offered at the best price, plus I got 5% more for using my Prime credit card.

Or further things I might try on the troublesome laptop?

Have you tried a google search with the exact model and symptoms?

I did that when my wife was having a keyboard problem on her Chromebook. I found that others had the same problem. And I found a solution that was fairly simple to execute and worked perfectly.

For example, I took a wild guess at your laptop model and symptoms and found this:
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/toshiba-laptop-overheating/ and this:
http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-1669181/toshiba-satellite-turning.html

Last edited:
Thanks. I was wondering if it might be an overheating condition...but the case isn't hot to the touch. Worth opening it up and seeing if the heat sink is full of dust . I often leave it on overnight, so it has been on for many more hours than I might think when evaluating usage time.

Sometimes CPU cooling fans get flaky or gummed up with dust and the CPU gets too hot and shuts down via thermal overload. I've fixed a few that had that happen. Could be easily repaired if that's the issue.
I will definitely be checking that out....right after I do a back-up first.

By "crapped out', I gathered that means laptop shutdown by itself?

If so, you may be on the right track about it being an overheating issue as when that happens, some computers auto shut down as a protective measure. You may want to install some temperature monitor software and fan monitor software to see if the temps rise a lot and or fan spins at high speeds before "crapping out"

I assumed, laptop was plugged in, so not a battery issue?
Yes, it's been plugged in the entire time. 'Crapped out' is the technical term 😂 for everything stopped ..the display was still on...but I couldn't scroll, couldn't shut it down by going to the lower left corner, nothing, nada. It displayed a spinning blue circle (of death).

omni

Definitely - - do a back up right now before you do anything else.

Be sure to check and see if it is trying to download or install a Windows 10 update. That's probably not it, but it's an easy thing to check and once or twice I have had my computer completely freeze up and become unresponsive due to updating.

Based on your description of "crapped out", it's probably not an overheating issue. Nor a battery or power supply issue. I'd try booting up into safe mode (with networking) and use the PC that way for a while. If no issue after a few hours, then there's something causing it to hang. You can troubleshoot in various ways, but I always start with a clean install of Windows, which will usually eliminate the problem and speed things up as well. Recently, I had a desktop PC that would hang (crap out) periodically, and fixed it with a clean install of Windows 7.

Yes, it's been plugged in the entire time. 'Crapped out' is the technical term 😂 for everything stopped ..the display was still on...but I couldn't scroll, couldn't shut it down by going to the lower left corner, nothing, nada. It displayed a spinning blue circle (of death).

omni

Okay. Thanks for the clarification. Laptop still being on and didn't auto shut down, I'm leaning towards like what Cobra thinks as not related to heat or battery issue, but system/software related.

Based on your description of "crapped out", it's probably not an overheating issue. Nor a battery or power supply issue. I'd try booting up into safe mode (with networking) and use the PC that way for a while. If no issue after a few hours, then there's something causing it to hang. You can troubleshoot in various ways, but I always start with a clean install of Windows, which will usually eliminate the problem and speed things up as well. Recently, I had a desktop PC that would hang (crap out) periodically, and fixed it with a clean install of Windows 7.

Short story - two months ago. Nine month old Macbook- just stops recognizing the solid state memory drive. No amount of online or individual research helps. Take it to local Apple authorized place - they do all the same stuff - no workee. I pay them to backup data - requires pulling solid state assembly. They call me next morning and tell me they were unable to backup the drive for some reason - but when they put it back together again, it worked fine.

Moral to the story - sometimes it’s a connector.

Before I started over, I would backup if I could, then do my own troubleshooting. Then I would take it apart and put it back together again.

Okay. Thanks for the clarification. Laptop still being on and didn't auto shut down, I'm leaning towards like what Cobra thinks as not related to heat or battery issue, but system/software related.

Same here, I thought it was turning off on it's own.

Problems? I just take.mine to the Computer Doctor.

I have seen them build computers in 1/2 hour. Surely they can fix them in 1/2 hour.

I recently got a Dell i7 with a 256 gb SSD and 13" touch screen at Microsoft store in Delaware for $699. It was $899 in Costco. The 1 tb 5400rpm drive same configuration was $599.

Short story - two months ago. Nine month old Macbook- just stops recognizing the solid state memory drive. No amount of online or individual research helps. Take it to local Apple authorized place - they do all the same stuff - no workee. I pay them to backup data - requires pulling solid state assembly. They call me next morning and tell me they were unable to backup the drive for some reason - but when they put it back together again, it worked fine.

Moral to the story - sometimes it’s a connector

Before I started over, I would backup if I could, then do my own troubleshooting. Then I would take it apart and put it back together again.

+1

I was thinking to suggest to remove, blow out the connectors and reseat the memory modules. This has helped me in the past.

If it still acts flakey, I would get one of the boot-from-CD based memory test programs to see if it can spot a problem. If bad memory chips are found to be the culpret than that could be a cheap easy fix.

-gauss

Last edited:
My Toshiba laptop a few years older than yours had a very similar issue last year. Turned out cpu fan wasn't working which caused it to slow down the cpu to avoid overheating to the point I thought it was unresponsive. Bought a replacement cooling fan on ebay for less than $7 and it now runs windows 10 at a reasonable speed.

Problems? I just take.mine to the Computer Doctor.

I have seen them build computers in 1/2 hour. Surely they can fix them in 1/2 hour.
Building new is a lot different and often can be less time consuming than troubleshooting and repairing an issue. Similar to remodeling a house vs building new.

Moral to the story - sometimes it’s a connector.

My Toshiba laptop a few years older than yours had a very similar issue last year. Turned out cpu fan wasn't working which caused it to slow down the cpu to avoid overheating to the point I thought it was unresponsive. Bought a replacement cooling fan on ebay for less than $7 and it now runs windows 10 at a reasonable speed.
Good to know, thanks.

As I kept 'noodling' on the issue, overheating seemed like possible cause, as the laptop works flawlessly...until it stops completely after 15-20 minutes.

Good to know, thanks.

As I kept 'noodling' on the issue, overheating seemed like possible cause, as the laptop works flawlessly...until it stops completely after 15-20 minutes.

By stops completely, you mean power goes off?

Definitely - - do a back up right now before you do anything else.

Be sure to check and see if it is trying to download or install a Windows 10 update. That's probably not it, but it's an easy thing to check and once or twice I have had my computer completely freeze up and become unresponsive due to updating.
I had to run out and get thumb drive as my backup drive is still packed from my migration. I'm copying over files at the moment.

It doesn't seem to be downloading, installing, or updating any software.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

No, power stays on...display remains on...but everything seems frozen. I can move the cursor, but I can't click on anything, as it is frozen.

I end up depressing (physically) the power button until the unit finally turns off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Okay. I still like the idea suggested before about running in safe mode. Alternatively, you can run from a live CD. If your laptop doesn't freeze running under either of these, once again points towards the system and not hardware.

Back
Top Bottom