Laptop issue, might need a new one

OK, a quick search and I do think this is keeping you from booting from a LIVE USB (I"ll explain why I'm so sure):

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3442943/toshiba-laptop-boot-usb.html

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/85143-35-toshiba-satellite-boot

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/64755-63-toshiba-satellite-boot

Got it to work, and it was so simple, as always.

Switch the Boot Mode in BIOS from UEFI to CSM. Booted right up. I'll remember that before I waste half a day trying to fix something.

Could you please tell me how to switch from UEFI to CSM? My UEFI is not active (gray color instead blue)...

Turn off security check at boot , then go back to uefi screen you can then change it to csm
Why am I so sure this is keeping you from booting from a LIVE USB? See here:

It works, thanks so much. Are there any negatives for doing this?

-------------------------------------

BTW, the 'negatives' are that you can't boot into Windows if you don't switch back the BIOS settings. This is normal.
If I've followed you, when it fails to boot from USB, it does boot back to Windows. According to this, that shouldn't happen if the BIOS is set to allow USB booting.

Caveat - it's always possible there is a secondary issue, but if this isn't set right, you don't have a chance.

-ERD50

Last edited:
The BIOS clock is set before Windows boots.

This is where you enter time and date. It is usually set and backed up by your CMOS battery (has other names too). If you did not remove the battery, and the battery is good, you would not need to change this.

Windows should get time information from a time clock on the internet, and use that instead of BIOS time.

If your battery is failing, it can cause what appear to be random problems.

I am not sure if you have a coin battery (easily changed) or a soldered in battery. The coin battery is $5, and a simple change. But you want to have your BIOS settings written down before changing the battery.

Toshiba quasi bios is something I'm not familiar with.

Thanks for info on clock.

I'm calling it "Toshiba quasi BIOS", as it seems to me not to be the "real" BIOS that shows up with a small popup with a pitch black screen with white letters (like the chkdsk command, etc). It's Toshiba's version which shows up with hitting F2 on startup...but does not allow access to the real inner workings of BIOS ....hence restricting access to BIOS commands, etc. Likely a result of UEFI.

omni

OK, a quick search and I do think this is keeping you from booting from a LIVE USB (I"ll explain why I'm so sure):

Toshiba laptop doesn't boot from USB [Solved] - Laptops - Laptop Tech Support

New Toshiba Satellite - can't boot from CD or USB [Solved] - Boot - Laptop Tech Support

Toshiba Satellite won't boot to USB - [Solved] - Windows 7

Why am I so sure this is keeping you from booting from a LIVE USB? See here:

If I've followed you, when it fails to boot from USB, it does boot back to Windows. According to this, that shouldn't happen if the BIOS is set to allow USB booting.

Caveat - it's always possible there is a secondary issue, but if this isn't set right, you don't have a chance.

-ERD50

YES! you are absolutely spot-on correct. This is the exact issue that has prevented my accessing BIOS. (AND "Toshiba's quasi-BIOS" lets you set the boot sequence, but doesn't follow it for programs that want to take control before Windows, likley due to the UEFI thing. I did some research and poking around in various menus...but never found the key to overriding UEFI.)

----

STATUS UPDATE: The laptop has been performing perfectly (multiple shutdowns/restarts by me) for ~36 hours. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things are now as they should be and the freezing issues are in my rear view mirror.

omni

Last edited:
YES! you are absolutely spot-on correct. This is the exact issue that has prevented my accessing BIOS. (AND "Toshiba's quasi-BIOS" lets you set the boot sequence, but doesn't follow it for programs that want to take control before Windows, likley due to the UEFI thing. I did some research and poking around in various menus...but never found the key to overriding UEFI.) ...

omni

OK, so you were never able to get into the 'real' BIOS? I found a variety of methods that people say will get you there, apparently depends on the exact model and which Windows version it originally shipped with (some notes for example that say method X works for Win 8, method Y for Win 10, but if it was a Win 10 upgrade, use method X, etc).

A couple links, but try to see if you can find specifics for your model:

https://techjourney.net/ways-to-enter-bios-in-toshiba-tecra-satellite-portege/

https://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?ct=SB&soid=2778023&ref=EV

And Toshiba has a video on doing this from within Windows, not sure that gets you to the 'real' BIOS though (I think this one is for W7, they have one for W8 also):

-ERD50

Last edited:
Wow this has been a very eye opening thread for me. I've only had experience with 2 laptops (wife's HP and my Asus). I never had any problem booting from a Linux live USB @ either one (must point out that both started life with Win 7 installed). I had no idea that other laptop makers make life so difficult or maybe they are all that way now if they start with windows 10?

Wow this has been a very eye opening thread for me. I've only had experience with 2 laptops (wife's HP and my Asus). I never had any problem booting from a Linux live USB @ either one (must point out that both started life with Win 7 installed). I had no idea that other laptop makers make life so difficult or maybe they are all that way now if they start with windows 10?

Yes - there are people chiming in here, saying "just buy a new laptop, why go through all this?", but it's really about learning (for some of us).

I started with Linux on a cheap ASUS netbook in 2009. Was so impressed, I bought a Windows laptop in 2010, installed Ubuntu, and have been using Ubuntu/Xubuntu as my main machine ever since (never had a need to boot into Windows).

So it is important to keep up with how the manufacturers are dealing with the process to boot from a LIVE USB/CD/DVD (needed to install Linux, or some utility programs, which are mostly Linux based).

The Lenovo G710 I purchased in 2014 was the first I bought with the UEFI protections in the BIOS. But I had read up enough to know that it wasn't too hard to work around this on that model, and boot from LIVE USB/CD/DVD.

I expect Toshiba will be off my list when I replace this laptop (still running fine, just installed Xubuntu 18.04 alongside my trusty 14.04), but you never know when something happens, and I need to replace it (fortunately, my old E-Machines laptop from 2010 is still running Xubuntu just fine, so I've got a fall-back machine).

-ERD50

I guess that's one of the +++ of Linux a lot of distros run just fine on older machines and they are scary fast on the newer ones. Warning - thread diversion- I should say that I bought a PC on a stick (Acepc T5 for $110) just because I was curious to see if such a low powered thing could actually run Win 10 and it can - to a certain extent. Browsing and playing you-tube works. Games and Win 10 updates and rendering anything having multiple tabs open in a browser and so on -not so much (it runs out of memory and disk space in a hurry). BTW installing Linux was a no go on this particular stick.

Yes - there are people chiming in here, saying "just buy a new laptop, why go through all this?", but it's really about learning (for some of us).

I started with Linux on a cheap ASUS netbook in 2009. Was so impressed, I bought a Windows laptop in 2010, installed Ubuntu, and have been using Ubuntu/Xubuntu as my main machine ever since (never had a need to boot into Windows).

So it is important to keep up with how the manufacturers are dealing with the process to boot from a LIVE USB/CD/DVD (needed to install Linux, or some utility programs, which are mostly Linux based).

The Lenovo G710 I purchased in 2014 was the first I bought with the UEFI protections in the BIOS. But I had read up enough to know that it wasn't too hard to work around this on that model, and boot from LIVE USB/CD/DVD.

I expect Toshiba will be off my list when I replace this laptop (still running fine, just installed Xubuntu 18.04 alongside my trusty 14.04), but you never know when something happens, and I need to replace it (fortunately, my old E-Machines laptop from 2010 is still running Xubuntu just fine, so I've got a fall-back machine).

-ERD50

Not to worry, unless you are buying used laptop or have access to business models...as Toshiba announced they were getting out of the consumer laptop business in March 2016.
https://www.techradar.com/news/mobi...e-re-stopping-making-consumer-laptops-1318014

omni

Not to worry, unless you are buying used laptop or have access to business models...as Toshiba announced they were getting out of the consumer laptop business in March 2016.
https://www.techradar.com/news/mobi...e-re-stopping-making-consumer-laptops-1318014

omni

Not surprising. I used to work for a company that OEM'd SSDs to major PC/laptop manufacturers. Toshiba was probably 5th or 6th on the list in terms of market share. Top three were HP, Dell, and Lenovo IIRC. Apple was big too, but I don't remember if they were first or fourth.

-ERD50

I'm all for learning, but tossed in the towel as my impression was Omni was twisting in the wind in all different directions trying to troubleshoot as we were shooting in the dark :(.

I'm all for learning, but tossed in the towel as my impression was Omni was twisting in the wind in all different directions trying to troubleshoot as we were shooting in the dark :(.

As the OP, on a steep earning curve, I'll admit it was getting a bit confusing for me as I was trying to learn to crawl, while sometimes feeling exhorted to run, at times in several directions.

I'll be the first to admit it can't be easy to try coaching a newbie from afar.

And Toshiba's system added complications.

I do want to express my sincere appreciation for everyone's support and input...couldn't have done it without you. Thanks! :flowers::greetings10::flowers:

And for the onlookers, perhaps they learned something in the process. I know I did.

Thanks, all!

omni

That's understandable, my comment wasn't addressed to you, you did plenty to try to help. We can all walk away at any time, no problem - and I understand why you did.

-ERD50

As the OP, on a steep earning curve, I'll admit it was getting a bit confusing for me as I was trying to learn to crawl, while sometimes feeling exhorted to run, at times in several directions.

I'll be the first to admit it can't be easy to try coaching a newbie from afar.

And Toshiba's system added complications.

I do want to express my sincere appreciation for everyone's support and input...couldn't have done it without you. Thanks! :flowers::greetings10::flowers:

And for the onlookers, perhaps they learned something in the process. I know I did.

Thanks, all!

omni

You're welcome :). Laptop still running okay without freezing (fingers crossed)?

That's understandable, my comment wasn't addressed to you, you did plenty to try to help. We can all walk away at any time, no problem - and I understand why you did.

-ERD50

I know. Your comment not directed at me.

Everyone has to decide to roll up the sleeves and not spend the time troubleshooting. One persons fun and learning experience can be another person's headache :).

So, if I understand the latest plot twists the culprit appears to have been the Windows 10 update?

So, if I understand the latest plot twists the culprit appears to have been the Windows 10 update?

...Or maybe the cooler weather in these parts recently...

That's my guess. Although I never did isolate the exact issue.

My laptop started freezing every 42 minutes on May 21.

I updated Toshiba BIOS. I changed the power plan. I deleted the Win10 updates back to May 9 (along with anything else I had either downloaded and/or updated back to then). Perhaps it didn't play well with others?

I just found this which makes it sound like Win10s latest update has caused a lot of problems, issues, and bugs.

https://appuals.com/windows-10-creators-update-crashes-and-freezes/

Just glad to have my trusty laptop working flawlessly again. :dance:

omni

Last edited:
It was memory. A bit of oxidation was interfering with contact.

Actually, there has never been a Windows update that did not cause problems. OSX too.
The journey is the reward. LOL

The majority of problems I've experienced in the past were software related. Either system or application. Did have a memory issue once (on a Mac) and a bad hard drive (Win). Other than that, was software related.

That's my guess. Although I never did isolate the exact issue.

My laptop started freezing every 42 minutes on May 21.

I updated Toshiba BIOS. I changed the power plan. I deleted the Win10 updates back to May 9 (along with anything else I had either downloaded and/or updated back to then). Perhaps it didn't play well with others?

I just found this which makes it sound like Win10s latest update has caused a lot of problems, issues, and bugs.

https://appuals.com/windows-10-creators-update-crashes-and-freezes/

Just glad to have my trusty laptop working flawlessly again. :dance:

omni
I hope that Microsoft releases some patches soon (before they force an update on your laptop as I understand with win 10 updates cannot be delayed indefinitely ). That's quite a list of fixes for the Win 10 creators update - throw everything at the wall and see what sticks - They forgot the light some candles part :)

Related to booting from a Live CD, I tried this yesterday to check out the latest LTS (Long Term Support) of Linux Xubuntu 18.04. I'm still on 14.04 LTS, as I didn't see any compelling reason to install 16.04 LTS, but I originally created several extra partitions on the HDD so I could install several versions of Linux, but in hindsight, those partitions were a little too small, and I've been fighting to keep enough free space on my root drive. So I combined a few of those partitions, and plan to install 18.04 there. Ok, that's the background...

Related to this thread: I created the bootable USB from the .iso with "Startup Disk Creator", but it wouldn't boot from it. Two things I had to do:

1) In BIOS, USB was already selected as first to look at, but I also had to set booting to "Legacy Support". From other notes I see on the web, you also need "Secure Boot" disabled, and "Boot Priority" to "Legacy First". Some of that might have already been set, or my BIOS might have been a little different, so check all these with your specific machine/BIOS.

2) After that, it 'saw' the USB stick on a reboot, but I got a weird error message that ended:
gfxboot.C32 NOT A COM32R image
boot:

The 'trick' I found from searching - hit tab and you get some selections. Type "live" and enter, and it booted.

This might not be a problem with a USB stick created on Windows, but this thread is long, and I'm not sure omni ever got her LIVE USB stick to boot. As others have said, that's a great troubleshooting tool. If you create a LIVE USB from a Linux iso, like Ubuntu, MATE, Mint or Xubuntu (my favorite so far), you might even just want to wipe Windows and do an install of Linux (hint, hint). :)

I'll also reinforce not to jump to any conclusions about any one change 'fixing' the problem. To be confident, recreate the problem, then recreate the fix - do it a couple times. You need to be skeptical and let the system prove to you that is the problem.

-ERD50
To created the bootable USB from the .iso that i have done on my Windows 10 .

Back
Top Bottom