US (investable) millionaires by state

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Kind of a cool graphic at this site: Visualizing U.S. Millionaires by State of Residence

Capture.jpg

Over 400k households in FLA like mine. Here I thought I was special. haha

Only 196k in North Carolina and less than 5% of household. Looks like I'm up there next year.

Hmm, I wonder how that compares to the population of each state?
Go figure - states with higher populations tend to have more millionaires! Who'd a thunk it?

^ exactly. If that was computed from each states population it would be a complete change in the graph. But interesting never the less but not alarming by any sense.

If you look at the target rings on the diagram I believe it gives you the percentage of the state's population that are millionaires. Not all that legible but it is there.

Pennsylvania is pretty high on the list. Surprising, since all one ever seems to hear is how many poor people there are in PA.

Cool graphic.

I question how they determined what homes had those aggregate assets? Did I miss their definition?

My home state of Alaska is 5th from the bottom for total numbers, but 5th from
the top per capita at 7.5% of households. Small population, but pretty good
opportunities. I'd guess if you factored in Alaska having a younger than average
population, the opportunities look even better. One thing Alaska doesn't have is
any ultra wealthy though, not one billionaire. No Bezos or Gates or Zuckerberg.
Just simple, garden variety millionaires.

^ exactly. If that was computed from each states population it would be a complete change in the graph. But interesting never the less but not alarming by any sense.

It does show %millionares by state.

Cool graphic.

I question how they determined what homes had those aggregate assets? Did I miss their definition?

It’s there in the article, lists which assets were counted.

What do you mean by "ïnvestable millionaires"? I first took you to mean millionaires that invest heavily in a public vehicle like like Carl Icahn and Icahn Fund, or Buffett and Bershire. But it seems that you mean investors that have somewhere close to $mm in invest-able assets.

Is that this latter idea what you mean?

Ha

What do you mean by "ïnvestable millionaires"? I first took you to mean millionaires that invest heavily in a public vehicle like like Carl Icahn and Icahn Fund, or Buffett and Bershire. But it seems that you mean investors that have somewhere close to $mm in invest-able assets.

Is that this latter idea what you mean?

Ha

Yes, the later. See link for more details.

NJ has a high percentage of millionaires, even higher than NY. I wonder if it is because of people living in NJ, but working in NY.

And AZ does not have a high percentage of millionaires. Fine with me. I like to be a big fish in a small pond (although they do not know that by my "below-the-radar" appearance).

Last edited:
Not a surprise that Maryland is number one per capita. Think of the Capital in The Hunger Games.

Except we don't set the style for all of Panem. Everyone here is actually pretty boring to look at.

Not a surprise that Maryland is number one per capita. Think of the Capital in The Hunger Games.

Hmm, I wonder how that compares to the population of each state?
Go figure - states with higher populations tend to have more millionaires! Who'd a thunk it?

The diameter of the pie is the percentage of population in the graphics: 8%, 7% and 6% concentric circles.

The number will be growing rapidly, thanks to the tech sector.
I just read in The Economist that the median salary at Facebook is $240K, and $200K at Alphabet.

The diameter of the pie is the percentage of population in the graphics: 8%, 7% and 6% concentric circles.
Color also helps with percentages. The darker the color, the higher.

Thank you, i find graphs easier to follow than text, and this one was pretty clear. But I wonder how much this graph would change if investable assets included non-primary real estate equity. Perhaps I read the fine-print note wrong, but this graph seems to not include successful landlords.

The number will be growing rapidly, thanks to the tech sector.
I just read in The Economist that the median salary at Facebook is $240K, and $200K at Alphabet.

But in silicone valley that’s like $60-$80K, their house prices are insanely high.

Back
Top Bottom