Man who stuck dates with the bill looking at prison time

Snidely Whiplash

Recycles dryer sheets
My son (25 and single) has been stuck with the dinner bill / obviously used as a free meal ticket so many times he refuses to use any online dating site. He has also been stung by highly filtered online pictures to the extent that some of his dates were unrecognizable in person. It’s made for some interesting stories that we chuckle about from time to time.

The law has finally caught up to a man who stuck his dates with the dinner bills:
https://fox5sandiego.com/2018/09/08...aces-prison-after-sticking-dates-with-checks/

Aside from stiffing the hairdresser I’m kinda surprised this guy is looking at 13 years for this. It’s pretty clearly a jerk move on his part, but 13 years? If the jury has one or two males on it who have had experiences like my son has had this might be a tough case for the prosecutor.

I posted this when the incident first occurred a year and a half ago:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...pensive-meal-flees-restaurant-blocks-her.html

I thought it interesting the difference between the woman’s online picture vs her looks at the time of the date.

Attachments

• FBFE3264-C4F5-400F-A17F-FD2983C0DEC0.jpeg
    FBFE3264-C4F5-400F-A17F-FD2983C0DEC0.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 701
  • EE8A0E9C-88CF-4A84-B1AC-BDD7F907CCF3.jpeg
    EE8A0E9C-88CF-4A84-B1AC-BDD7F907CCF3.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
The amount of time he is facing is excessive. But he is a total jerk.

The time is based on the charges: 11 counts of extortion and two counts of attempted extortion

Taking the max of each that would add up, but it not likely. As for the woman's photo - having done online dating myself - Pulleeeze - that is standard. No one looks quite as nice as their pic - so I consider that irrelevant to the story.

The lower picture - I assume that is the one in her profile - is definitely younger and thinner. Still that is not a reason for him to walk out of a restaurant without paying. It is a reason to wonder what else she is not being honest about.

Make the first meeting simple - coffee or a glass of wine. If she insists on or is more impressed by a fancy meal at the start all I can say is - Red Alert! Raise the Shields! High Maintenance Women is targeting you!

Last edited:
The difference sometimes come from the angle of the selfie. I know because I often worry one of my kids looks too thin in some selfie pictures but in real life she’s not as bad. This kid doesn’t live with me, otherwise I wouldn’t be too worried.

The lower picture - I assume that is the one in her profile - is definitely younger and thinner. Still that is not a reason for him to walk out of a restaurant without paying. It is a reason to wonder what else she is not being honest about.

Make the first meeting simple - coffee or a glass of wine. If she insists on or is more impressed by a fancy meal at the start all I can say is - Red Alert! Raise the Shields! High Maintenance Women is targeting you!

From the story - he was the one insisting on a fancy meal at first meetup. I guess that should have been a red alert for the ladies?

I thought she looked just a bit thinner in the profile photo, but not younger.

Total jerk....but... What's going to happen if he testify they offered to pay, got a little rude so he left?
I know a woman who called Tinder her free meal app, and used it as such to eat in some restaurants I know she couldn't afford. Sure there were never any discussions on how to split the bill before the meals. She will never be charged with scamming.

From the story - he was the one insisting on a fancy meal at first meetup. I guess that should have been a red alert for the ladies?

I was referring the OP's son who was being used as a source of free dinners. Men should keep it simple and low cost for at least the first three dates. Not cheap, just low cost and simple.

Yes, all ladies should be careful with any man they do not know well.

Bizarro World

Stories like this one make me feel relieved that I'm married. Today's dating scene is incomprehensible to me, but it's been so long since I was single that I wonder whether this sort of misbehavior has always been common and maybe I just forgot.

Can anyone confirm the thread topic? So far it's covered the OP's son's dating experience, a guy going to prison because he deceived and robbed women during dinner dates , photos on dating sites, and dating. All that in only 10 posts!

How does skipping out on a check get you felony extortion charges? Sounds like an overzealous prosecutor trying to get a plea from the defendant. Do shoplifters get felony charges? They often scoop up more than a meals worth of goods.

Can anyone confirm the thread topic? So far it's covered the OP's son's dating experience, a guy going to prison because he deceived and robbed women during dinner dates , photos on dating sites, and dating. All that in only 10 posts!
I think you've got it exactly right.

I was referring the OP's son who was being used as a source of free dinners. Men should keep it simple and low cost for at least the first three dates. Not cheap, just low cost and simple.

Yes, all ladies should be careful with any man they do not know well.

And I was referring to the title of the OP which referenced the dating "extortionist".

So - yep, a pretty jumbled OP.

Karma, "what comes around goes around", what ever you want to label it. Besides jail time repercussions from bad deeds seem to hit you in the back of the head when you least expect it.

In this day and age, the term is called multitasking :popcorn:.

1) The dine and dash guy looks creepy and the Charles Atlas body picture should have been a clue

2) I really don't see too much difference in the photos of the woman

DW insisted I only pay half "dutch" on our first date. It was a first at the time I had always paid for the first date entirely. I was so shocked I invited her to meet my folks after dinner. Then, getting cocky, after she agreed to meet my folks, I invited her on the back of my motorcycle. She declined but we did end up getting married, so there's that.

I met her through friends when it was obvious she was interested. I did take quite a few internet dates out but none hit it off, one I had to leave at the doorstep because her profile picture was about 100lbs less than in real life.

To me that level of integrity is unacceptable.

I have single girlfriends who troll for free meal marks on tinder. Works well for them, but not the guy. IMHO that is too risky, for a free meal.

I think I am the only one here who does not know/care how electricity/telephones/internet/computers or other things work!

I would be hard pressed to convict the guy on the dine and dash... it seems that the ladies expected to have the whole meal paid for, so that is kinda sexist if they did... but that is also normal... as mentioned by the OP the ladies seem to expect to get a free meal so if they do not pay should they be charged with a crime? To me it is a civil matter... they can sue him for reimbursement... it is not a crime...

Now, the dye and dash is a crime as he had service done that he was required to pay and did not...

What should happen (only on the dinners) is that the site should put a warning on his profile and that would stop almost all women...

My son (25 and single) has been stuck with the dinner bill / obviously used as a free meal ticket so many times he refuses to use any online dating site.
Wow, what an over-reaction.

Almost two decades ago I was using an online dating site on which I eventually met Frank. For those I met on that site, I absolutely NEVER asked to be taken for dinner right away. Generally I asked to meet for coffee at Denny's and nothing more expensive until we had gotten to know one another reasonably well. Why? Obviously, because I didn't want any potential dates to think I was a gold digger. Plus, I wasn't sure I would be very interested in anyone so innocent as to fall for a gold digger.

I know I am far from the only woman who is not a gold digger, and doesn't want to be mistaken for one. Maybe he should just try to be a little more careful, rather than positioning himself as the helpless victim and refusing to use any online site.

Oh, and I should add that as you might imagine, I never had a dine-and-dash experience.

Back
Top Bottom