Poll:How much do you spend on Auto(s), Motorcycle(s), Motorhome Etc., per month?

How much do you spend on Auto(s), Motorcycle(s), Motorhome Etc., per month?

• $10 or Less

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • $30 or Less

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • $31 - $50

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • $50 - $100

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • $100 - $200

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Over $200

Votes: 16 30.2%

• Total voters

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have been tracking this for a while now. I was curious what folks paid cumulatively for Fuel per FIREd household, NOT including Offspring if they still live with you. If you spend a lot of Uber, Cabs or LYFT it may be worth listing that in a post.

We average under $30 a month in Petrol (Translation = Gasoline).

Last edited:
Insurance, maintenance, gas, car wash, parking? What do you want included?

For me, insurance and parking are about $170 per month, even if my car never moves an inch.

Insurance, maintenance, gas, car wash, parking? What do you want included?

See the OP. Just Fuel. I should have put it in the question. I just track fuel as my cars are leased and do not cost anything to maintain.

Last edited:
Well, the headline didn't say & I included everything that it takes for me to operate all of them.

I voted over $200. I pay for 1 fill up a month on DD ride. My DH truck cost $65 to fill yesterday and he fills up at least 2-3 times a month. My work is 1.7 miles away so only once a month for work but we also drive it on the weekends instead of the truck.

On our way to Yosemite this weekend 1 station was charging $4.99 a gallon but around us the average is $3.69. California is expensive not just because of housing.��

I have 2 electric cars. My entire electric bill was 36 something last month. But that's for my entire house + the two cars. So I voted $10 or less.

The poll should be redone so the lowest amount is either $10 or less OR $30 or less. Doesn't make sense to have both. Maybe have '$10 or less' and '$11-$29' or just '$30 or less'

Car insurance is eating me up after too many wrecks by other family members.

I make up for it a little by driving a Camry Hybrid @ 48.5 mpg.

We go alot and I prefer to drive for the scenery and to meet peeps along the way. 185 per month in gas is average per my spread sheet.

It varies widely. One vehicle sits idle for nine months, the other other for anywhere from 2-4 months.

Gas is the smallest vehicle expense we have. It is minor when compared to repairs, licence, insurance, depreciation, etc. Kind of pointless.

We don't put many miles on our cars since I am FIREd (or a kept man...whatever you want to call me) and DW w*rks from home. We do take a 200 mile round trip about once a month or so to see DW's family but even with that, we put less than 400 miles total on two cars a month and only fill up about once every month and a half. So far this year, we have spent $126.27 on fuel (average month cost: $31.30).

It varies widely. One vehicle sits idle for nine months, the other other for anywhere from 2-4 months.

Gas is the smallest vehicle expense we have. It is minor when compared to repairs, licence, insurance, depreciation, etc. Kind of pointless.

Agree OP what is your reason for asking..

Agree OP what is your reason for asking..

As stated in the OP, I started tracking fuel last year and have accumulated enough data for it to be meaningful, I was just curious what others spent.

We have no other general running costs other than insurance and licensing and where we live that is insignificant. We do not consider the lease costs because that is offset by having no other expenses. All maintenance, loner vehicles, Gap insurance, a guarantee that we can just give them back at the end of the lease, regardless of Carfax/Autocheck reports, etc., are all part of the lease.

Some weeks I (alone) pay more than $60 in a week for gas only. That doesn't count DH. But, we are working. I will be putting a lot less miles on the car upon retirement. The older kiddos, even if on the insurance cover their own gas and maintenance/parking/ repairs.

Our biggest expense is liability/ uninsured (and yes, we do have kids on the insurance).

Then there is the maintenance/repairs/inspections/parking fees, etc.

Avalon hybrid. Drive a lot of miles around town but only fuel up with ~14 gal. every 2 or 3 weeks. After rebates gas price at Costco is ~2.50/gal.

Average of the last five years: $536/month for 2 cars & 2 motorcycles. Fuel, oil, tires, maintenance, etc, (not taxes, insurance, or depreciation).

Well my vote was way wrong as I didn't realize the OP was asking fuel only until I read a few posts. Sorry.

I average about 55 to 60 gallons per month. Now that gas is nearing $5 per gallon here in CA, my bill is sky rocketing.

I’ve been tracking costs on my car for >15 years. The fuel cost per day over that period is $2.22, so ~$67 per month.

A related graph in my spreadsheet is price per gallon that I paid for midgrade and a moving average overlay. I definitely recall those $4+/gallon days in 2008.

Back
Top Bottom