Poll:How much do you spend on Wine, Beer & Liquor on Average?

What is your monthly average Wine, Beer & Liquor Budget?

• $0 - We do not drink & we do not offer alcohol to friends.

Votes: 45 16.0%
  • Less than $50

Votes: 61 21.6%
  • $50 - $100

Votes: 70 24.8%
  • $100 - 200

Votes: 51 18.1%
  • $200 - $300

Votes: 25 8.9%
  • Over $300

Votes: 30 10.6%

• Total voters
$0 spent on alcohol. I get my non alcoholic buzz by my daily workouts in the local gym. $10 a month / Planet Fitness.

A couple of decades ago, I had a half consumed bottle of white zinfandel in my cupboard. It had been there for at least 2-3 years. One day I looked at it, thought of how miserable alcohol had made some families that I knew, and how it makes me gain weight, and wondered what earthly good that bottle ever did me. That day I just tossed it out and never bought another. It was probably vinegar by then anyway I suppose.

Most people that I worked with did not push me to drink, even at conferences or while on work travel, because they knew that I didn't drink. If/when someone does push me, I consent, get the drink set down in front of me, and then never take even one single sip. For me, with those people, that got the point across very firmly.
The last thing I drank was boxed wine lol...Franzia I think? Then my "best man" got between me and the box, and the rest was history...been sober since.

DW drinks maybe a bottle a month...I try to buy her expensive but after her and DM touring the finest vineyards they are convinced an $8 bottle of wine can taste just as good if not better than a $1000 bottle.

An open bottle of wine stored in a cupboard would be bad by the second day.

White zin is bad before opening...

My usual consumption is a couple of pints on Friday, and 2-3 glasses of wine when the gang gets together for dinner. Rarely drink otherwise, but certainly can when called upon!

White zin is bad before opening...

My usual consumption is a couple of pints on Friday, and 2-3 glasses of wine when the gang gets together for dinner. Rarely drink otherwise, but certainly can when called upon!

:LOL:

Hmm, I'm about to go on a 2 week [-]drunk[/-] vacation to visit cideries in Normandy and breweries in Belgium so I think that puts me in the top category.

Our day to day drinking isn't that expensive because we homebrew and trade work with a local brewery for beer.

We don't keep alcohol in the house and I only have a drink when on vacation with friends, or special occasion celebration dinners out with DH.

I have about a dozen cans of Bud in the garage fridge that have been there since last April when DD got married. I guess I better throw them out!:LOL:

if they've been in there a year, yeah probably time to pitch them

yep, beer can go bad.

best to drink it right after it's brewed, actually

Eh, if you keep it cool and keep it out of direct sunlight (for glass bottles), even pilsners and lagers should last at least a year or so after bottling/canning, although unless you check for a produced on or sell by date, you never know how long they might have sat on a (room-temperature) shelf. And high-alcohol beer can keep for years, and even ages well! I have a friend who buys bottles of Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (17-20% ABV) every year, and has aged some of them for quite a few years, and says while the taste can vary slightly from year to year, so far they all get better with age!

But it's true, most beers do NOT benefit from aging, and so the safest bet is to drink them sooner rather than later. My problem is, I buy too much (see my previous response) because I like having a nice selection available at home, and now I have to make sure to remember to drink the oldest ones first.

Eh, if you keep it cool and keep it out of direct sunlight (for glass bottles), even pilsners and lagers should last at least a year or so after bottling/canning, although unless you check for a produced on or sell by date, you never know how long they might have sat on a (room-temperature) shelf. And high-alcohol beer can keep for years, and even ages well! I have a friend who buys bottles of Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (17-20% ABV) every year, and has aged some of them for quite a few years, and says while the taste can vary slightly from year to year, so far they all get better with age!

But it's true, most beers do NOT benefit from aging, and so the safest bet is to drink them sooner rather than later. My problem is, I buy too much (see my previous response) because I like having a nice selection available at home, and now I have to make sure to remember to drink the oldest ones first.

right I was mainly targeting domestics

when we moved to Idaho 8 years ago I brought a case of great divide yeti imperial stout with me. I think I drank the last bottle 3 years ago. It was awesome.

This is a requirement due to some state laws. There are dates on bottled water even.:confused::facepalm:
I assumed the date on a water bottle had to do with low quality plastic and expected deterioration of the bottle - but I may have just thought that up one morning.

If not, and it actually refers to the water, I agree with the sentiment you expressed.

DH enjoys beer and occasional vodka cocktail, and I enjoy wine and gin or vodka cocktail. Last year we averaged $120/month, and this year is $180/month. I discovered the joy of Fever-Tree tonic water with my gin.

the wife is still working so we have a rule... no drinking until she gets off of work.... :-( I have a feeling when she retires next year the budget is going to get tested if you know what I am saying...

I have to start spending more. This cheap beer is getting too tough for a guy my age.

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of Scotch Ale today. It ran me $55 for the kit and will get me about 48 bottles, if I bottled it. After it ferments in to weeks, I will age it in a 5 gallon bourbon barrel for about a month, then keg it. There are over 100 different kits/varieties one can choose from, some at local suppliers or online. Much fun, once you get the hang of it.

I would say I spend $600.00/month on good red wine. That does not include wine at restaurants a few times a month.

We are very light drinkers and spend around $120 a year for wine and spirits. Primarily wine, maybe one bottle of a spirit that will last us for a year. This includes wine DW uses for cooking (which is undrinkable). Never acquired a taste for beer. Also, with one kid having drinking issues in the past, we do not keep anything around when he visits as not to tempt him.

lol! I swear we aren't alcoholics but apparently this is questionable. We live in a country and particularly in a wine growing region, that has excellent wines which are prohibited from export into the EU (and the US as well) by the ruling elite so we benefit from this. An expensive wine is roughly $5. We drink 4 bottles a week. My wife is also Russian/American, and if she cooks a Russian meal (on her days to cook which are Saturday and Sunday, I cook M-F as she is day trading) we have vodka instead. We drink roughly 1/2 A bottle of Russian Standard a week as well. Because we live near the Czech Republic (Hungarian beers aren't bad but Czech is the best in the world, sorry Germans but those are available as well) excellent beers are available relatively cheaply and in the summer we drink 1 a day out by the pool. On top of that we have an occasional cocktail such as a gin and tonic, Margarita, or similar maybe once a day. So, adding it all up it comes to roughly $30 a week or $120 a month. Her cigarettes are more than that at around $250 a month. I quit smoking a few years back as did she but her cardiologist told her to start again as her body is actually so dependent she cannot stop safely. Weird but true. But here roughly 50% of the population smokes so it isn't a problem.

Back
Top Bottom