Okay to Drain Unused Toilet

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have a toilet that we only use when we have guests (rarely). It still has to be cleaned.

Is it okay to drain it out and refill it when needed?

In a word, no.

The water in the bowl fills the trap which keeps sewer gasses from coming into the house.

Ditto for any sinks or showers which are rarely used. I have to pour some water down the unused shower stall in our downstairs bathroom from time to time. The water in the trap can evaporate over time, and on a windy day, pressure changes in the plumbing may suck some of it out.

Okay, got it.

Any other ideas for avoiding having to clean the ring around the bowl? Maybe just get the water level really low.

As above, the trap is part of the bowl design.

Why does it need to be cleaned if not used? Put some RV antifreeze or some such in it and then do the old saran wrap over the bowl gag to prevent evaporation. Could likely just empty and fill with distilled water and a tablespoon of bleach to get the same effect. Just remember to take the saran wrap off before the guests move in if you go that route!

Any other ideas for avoiding having to clean the ring around the bowl? Maybe just get the water level really low.

I've never tried it but a tablespoon of bleach mixed with the water left in the bowl might work.

Just tell your guests to come more often or learn to put up with the ring. :)

If you're on city sewer, you could put some bleach in the bowl (never the tank). If you're on septic, you may be able to use a recommended cleaner that won't mess with your septic. Seriously, I would just brush it once in awhile. Marketing materials make it seem like some big nasty chore, but a brush and a squirt of soap from the hand soap dispenser and a little swoosh and you're done.

The ring is likely mainly from hard water and evaporation so go with distilled water. Also even on a septic system a tablespoon of bleach in the bowl of a toilet that is not flushed is not going to kill a significant portion of the bacteria in the septic system as the chlorine will gas off over time.

Yes, our hard water stains the bowl so much that we periodically have to use a pumice stone to clean away the ring.

Okay, got it.

Yes:

Put a little bleach in the bowl.
Cover with saran wrap.
Close cover and lid.

You'll still need to flush and refresh it every 2 to 3 months. But it should stay clean.

Drop a dishwasher soap packet into the bowl between guest visits. Most are designed to prevent hard water spots and likely to keep the ring from forming in the bowl. I use Cascade Platinum

There is a permanent solution to the ring problem. Replace the toilet and the internals under it with the porcelain squat tray, as seen in many countries. No visible water to create a ring of buildup.
If your visitors seemed to be a bit shocked when they see it, tell them that you are concerned with their welfare, and that's why you changed it out. Tell them that the human body was not designed for chair/comfort height toilets, nor even the original regular height. Maybe show them a video of that unicorn extruding ice cream. They'll get the idea quick, and thank you. Please remind them to empty their pockets first, before assuming the position.

To be extra thoughtful, mark the four points of the compass so some will not face, nor turn their back on, a particular geographic location when using this.

<This post has been approved by the UN>

I'm just trying to be helpful, T-Al :)

Yes, our hard water stains the bowl so much that we periodically have to use a pumice stone to clean away the ring.

Ouch! Better maybe to turn the water off to the tank, flush the toilet so it is almost empty and then fill over the level of the ring with vinegar or CLR or the like and let stand overnight then use your toilet brush. Pumice stone is likely to scratch the porcelain and make the staining harder and harder to remove as it penetrates the exposed unglazed clay below.

We leave our toilets 6 months at a time and let the house go ambient cold. We use RV antifreeze, and after fighting the pink stain from the antifreeze and mold growth, add a goodly slug of bleach and swirl that up under the lip. Then Saran wrap the top. I leave the tank lid on top of the seat to avoid the April fools style surprise when forgetting the toilet is winterized.

Good tip about the shower trap. I have a shower downstairs that we never use except during the busy season.(We live on a lake, so the busy season is June-August) and I wondered why sometimes we get a sewer smell.
I do put RV anti-freeze down there in the winter, but I should make sure there is some water in the trap. Like right now.
Thanks for the tip.

Good tip about the shower trap. I have a shower downstairs that we never use except during the busy season.(We live on a lake, so the busy season is June-August) and I wondered why sometimes we get a sewer smell.
I do put RV anti-freeze down there in the winter, but I should make sure there is some water in the trap. Like right now.
Thanks for the tip.
Some folks recommend putting some light cooking oil down traps like these to form a film over the top that won't evaporate and will keep the water in the trap. I've never found that to work and it's also not good for city sewer systems. But just putting >something< over the top (a flat rubber "flapper" stopper, a plastic lid from a margarine tub, etc) does seem to help the trap wet a lot longer, so additional water is needed much less frequently.
If it is a floor drain, it's best to use something that can float off in case the floor gets flooded and the drain is really needed.

Just flush it once a week. If any ring shows, put 4 oz. bleach in it.

I have 5 bathrooms, and we seldom use two of them. That's what I do.

Some folks recommend putting some light cooking oil down traps like these to form a film over the top that won't evaporate and will keep the water in the trap. I've never found that to work and it's also not good for city sewer systems. But just putting >something< over the top (a flat rubber "flapper" stopper, a plastic lid from a margarine tub, etc) does seem to help the trap wet a lot longer, so additional water is needed much less frequently.
If it is a floor drain, it's best to use something that can float off in case the floor gets flooded and the drain is really needed.

Clear plastic tape - like wide shipping tape. That was quite effective in t RV shower. Driving sometimes shook the water out of the j-traps and you’d get a yucky gray water smell.

Back
Top Bottom