Stock shopping list?

Byb747

Dryer sheet wannabe
Markets have been declining. What stocks are on your shopping list, and what entry price are you targeting?

For me SQ anything under $60, IBM $125

I think OLN and WRK are cheap.

I agree about WRK, Brewer. When I retired 4.5 yrs ago it was trading at around 70, now 34. At that price, div. is pushing 5%. Solid company, 2nd only to IP. Not sure why it is shunned.

I think IBM is interesting at these levels.
AFL at under $50.
CAT maybe
BAC is attractively priced right now.

I agree about WRK, Brewer. When I retired 4.5 yrs ago it was trading at around 70, now 34. At that price, div. is pushing 5%. Solid company, 2nd only to IP. Not sure why it is shunned.

Cyclicals are hated at the moment. Industry shipments have slipped a bit, but nothing to set one's hair on fire. Valuation looks cheap to me.

OLN is even cheaper. Their primary product of caustic soda suddenly has pricing mojo because Norsk Hydro was recently allowed to open their bauxite mine in Brazil to full capacity after a mandatory 50% curtailment. This mine is one of the largest consumers of caustic in the world, so them being back in the market suddenly means that spare capacity is becoming tight.

Well, I now have some additional (unexpected) cash which is looking for a home. I own (owned) a modest position in Cypress Semiconductor (CY) which has gotten and accepted an all cash bid by Infineon (Germany).

CY has been a reasonable long term holding and has paid a decent dividend. I sold some of it off in my tax-deferred accounts and traded it a few times in one of my IRA's.

I decided to sell off the remainder of my position this morning after the stock popped on the all cash offer, figuring that I will end up having to pay the capital gains tax (most likely this year) anyway as they are hoping to get the deal done by year end. Also decided to cash in at a slight discount given all of the political uncertainty involving deal approval - although I seriously doubt this one would get held up by anyone.

If it had not been a cash deal, I would have likely held onto the position, especially since the holding is in a taxable account.

This does complicate my "contribute to Roth to the top of the 24% bracket" strategy (ugh), as with the capital gain I've pretty much used up what headroom I had.

Back
Top Bottom