Rain Barrel Install - Has anyone done this?

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We are thinking of installing a rain barrel. However we are not looking to have a traditional Gutter pipe directly into the barrel. We want to use a rain Diverter. Specifically the one in the photo. There are quite a few on the market but we only want the one in photo.

This post is directed specifically to those that use the diverter shown. The things we are interested in are:

What is the typical throughput?
Will it take forever to fill a 65 Gallon Barrel?

We get a lot of rain and wondered how long it would take to fill.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Attachments

• 61+eGpkYHaL._SX679_.jpg
    61+eGpkYHaL._SX679_.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 35
We are thinking of installing a rain barrel. However we are not looking to have a traditional Gutter pipe directly into the barrel. We want to use a rain Diverter. Specifically the one in the photo. There are quite a few on the market but we only want the one in photo.

This post is directed specifically to those that use the diverter shown. The things we are interested in are:

What is the typical throughput?
Will it take forever to fill a 65 Gallon Barrel?

We get a lot of rain and wondered how long it would take to fill.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
I have one of these diverting to a barrel from a small garage roof downpipe and it fills the barrel with every decent rainfall. Key thing is the size of the roof feeding the diverter. I use mine all the time to water the flowers. Worth cleaning the diverter each spring to keep the flow going.

I have one of these diverting to a barrel from a small garage roof downpipe and it fills the barrel with every decent rainfall. Key thing is the size of the roof feeding the diverter. I use mine all the time to water the flowers. Worth cleaning the diverter each spring to keep the flow going.

That is great thank you. We have a 2500sq ft roof with about 1200sq ft feeding the downpipe this will be installed in. So I am assuming by your input that the flow is quite good on this fitting when it is clean.

I am confused how is that relevant to the diverter valve I am going to use? This calculation is for a roof with a regular open downspout.

You asked

"Will it take forever to fill a 65 Gallon Barrel?

We get a lot of rain and wondered how long it would take to fill."

With a 1200sq ft source and a look at the average rainfall for your area, you can calculate how long it will take.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly

I did not use the same diverter you showed, but one that I installed into the downspout and it diverted rain in my rain barrel. I connected 3 barrels together, each was 50 gallons. It take roughly 1 inch of rain to fill all barrels, which meant that all my barrels usually filled at the first storm. And since it had rained, I didn't need the water at that time.

I found after 4 years or having the rain barrels, I used the water in April or May to water my newly planted vegetable garden and deep water the citrus and trees. We had enough rain in the winter also I never used the water during that season.

I just removed them and gave them to someone who will connect them to their washing machine. They just didn't work well for my situation.

Back
Top Bottom