image hosting

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I once found a good free image hosting service. https://image.frl/

Unfortunately, it seems to have gone out of service. I guess that's what you get for free. Oh well. Now I'm looking for recommendations for alternatives. I guess I can try another free service, but will try anything that is easy to use. The above site was very easy to use. You would upload your picture and they would return the link to view the image and another link to delete it.

Note, I do have Prime and DW stores pictures on there. I have never wondered into that territory but if you can get a link and use it on a site like ER, then I'm willing to look into it. Just worries me to get into the picture space of DW. Any error (deletion of a picture) would not be received well.

In the past, I've used Yahoo groups, Flickr (yahoo owned) Photo-bucket, & a couple more I can't remember. They were all crap.

In mid 2016 I found https://www.smugmug.com
Couldn't be happier. If you're looking for something for nothing, don't read any further. For unlimited, it's about $70.00 per year, & worth every penny IMO.

Thanks. I was trying to not spend anything, but their basic plan is just under $50 per year. I might consider that. I don’t use it much, but I’m tired of my pictures disappearing from web sites.

I'm sure this doesn't matter, but I'll mention it anyway.
I'm almost certain that they don't allow any nudity :LOL:

In the past, I've used Yahoo groups, Flickr (yahoo owned) Photo-bucket, & a couple more I can't remember. They were all crap.

In mid 2016 I found https://www.smugmug.com
Couldn't be happier. If you're looking for something for nothing, don't read any further. For unlimited, it's about $70.00 per year, & worth every penny IMO.

+1

Same conclusion, have been with them since 2009. Easy to use, reasonably powerful. Easy to change the "look" of your website. This is important since we want some control over how our pictures are portrayed. We essentially use it as a digital portfolio. We can send the link or just show people stuff by looking up the site from a mobile phone/pad.

I have had Flickr albums for almost two decades so I continue to use them. I had a "pro" account that cost a few bucks which they dropped and went all free with fewer features. Lately they went to a more fully featured moderately costly service which seems OK - I don't access it often but keep my albums on it - they include a lot of full resolution photos on it. I also have a cloud backup service called IDrive that backs up all of my original unedited full resolution photos.

If all you want is access to photos online Google Photos offers a pretty good free service that uses a proprietary compression algorithm that reduces the size of the stored images but displays well on computer screens and TVs. I keep copies of all of my albums on Google and use it more than anything else to access them. If I want to actually work with a photo I load up the original.

I don't use any of these services for linking photos to for inline display on online forums and the like. I use them for storage, viewing, or sharing with individuals.

Last edited:
Imgur is my go-to for free, anonymous image hosting. I've been using them for many years, and they're as reliable as Dropbox or Google Drive, IMO. (Which I also use for images, but usually not for sharing as much, especially if I want to remain anonymous.)

Thanks. I’ll look into those mentioned. Main need is for hosting in order to post on forums like this. Free is better, but maybe DW will find some of the other services useful. She’s the photographer.

I use Google Photos to host the photos that I post online.

I use Google Photos to host the photos that I post online.

I’ll try that. Not a google fan, but for the few I want to post, that may be my best option.

Main need is for hosting in order to post on forums like this.
When I suggested SmugMug, I didn't realize 'that' was your main need. 'If' you're considering going with them, I'd make sure they allow direct links to photos.

I'm sure you realize that this forum also has its own photo hosting.
I rarely use it, but I'm guessing there's limitations for number of photo's, resolution limits, etc ?

I rarely use it, but I'm guessing there's limitations for number of photo's, resolution limits, etc ?

It's included within the attachment popup:
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 2.50.38 PM.png

I have used it once, but forgot about that. So, thank you for the reminder. I'd be fine using it for photos I want to post in this site, but I think it would be better if I have a single point of storage. I think I'll look into using google.

As for SmugMug, still, I appreciate the recommendation. Currently, DW uses Amazon but that comes with Prime and I'd prefer to get off Prime. Mostly, I think I spend more with Prime, which I'm sure is there plan. So even if there was a cost, the service may be better and overall, cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom