Age 68 and No Gray Hair

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I think my hair is unusual. I am female, age 68 and have no gray hair. My hair is not great--it is dark brown, fine and gets oily, I have to wash it every day, and it grows very slowly. The only real positive thing about my hair is the color.

I think the no gray thing is inherited. My father who died in his 60s had hair just like mine and no gray. My mother and my 2 younger sister, on the other hand, went gray fairly early (but both of my sisters color their hair). My father's ancestors are from Ireland, I did a little research and found some studies that show Irish people get gray later in life.

The lady who cuts my hair says she would go broke if everyone had hair like mine--no gray and slow to grow.

I actually had a friend recently say to me that I should quit coloring my hair and let it go gray naturally and she did not believe I did not color it.

Anybody else out there that is late 60s with no gray? I am just wondering how unusual this is.

I got white streaks in my front hair at age 35, and promptly decided bangs were a good idea.

At 59 I still have some dark brown hair, and some dark blond hair, but plenty of white/light gray in front that often looks more light blond. Some people compliment me on my hair coloring, LOL!

DW is 63 and literally has 4 gray hairs, so essentially no gray.

Me OTOH, my “gray highlights” have completely taken over...

I'm a 59 yo male with no gray head hair but mustache and beard come in Santa Claus white.

I was Dirty Blond until about 65 and then it turned gray :blush:. But....If I grow a "stash" now, it's red (so I don't go there).

Father was a redhead and was nicknamed "Red" ;). Both daughters are redheads. (and beautiful)

No one went bald in this bloodline too!

I was Dirty Blond until about 65 and then it turned gray :blush:. But....If I grow a "stash" now, it's red (so I don't go there).

Father was a redhead and was nicknamed "Red" ;). Both daughters are redheads. (and beautiful)

No one went bald in this bloodline too!

I'm lucky on that front also.

DW is 64. Had been coloring her hair for years and decided to stop. It actually looks much better. There is some grey, but mostly auburn. Just makes her hair look lighter. Me, on the other hand, had dark brown hair and a reddish beard when we met. Now, if I grow the beard long, I could play Santa real easy.

Mine is ~50% gray. The other half is colorless (as in gone). You would think my barber would only charge me half price for a hair cut... Not the case.

Last edited:
To OP. Yes, Mom and maternal grandmother had no gray hair into 70's and 80's. Ethnicity, appears to be mostly English and Irish. I don't have a tremendous amount but more than mom and grandmother.

I have had a buzz cut since I was 16 but when it gets 3 weeks of growth there has been noticeable greys since around age 35. I'm too frugal to ever dye it. What do I care if i'm all grey by 50. No big deal.

My grandmother had brown hair in her mid 60's . She was irish . My younger sister who is 65 has very little gray hair . I am not sure how much gray I have as I color it .

Age 67 here with just a very little gray in the front area. Like one of the other posters mentioned.....at age 60, I also had health related "treatments". I was told my hair might all fall out. It didn't all go down the drain, but got VERY thin. Before treatments, I had medium brown hair and it was pretty straight with a little 'body' to it. After treatments when my hair started filling back in, it was a darker brown than before and, get this: it came in curly in the back and remained straight with body in the front. I had always had thick hair and after a year, it was probably just as thick as before. So I think the new darker shade was a 'set-back' from my hair going gray. The curls in the back have gone away, but my hair remains darker with little gray. My sisters and sisters-in-law are amazed.....as they continue to color their hair!

I will be 66 in a couple months and I don't think I have any gray. I am very blonde and have never colored my hair. But I'm also not sure I would notice any stray gray hairs either so they may very well be there and I just don't notice them.

Age 64. I have gray temples with gray ‘highlights’ elsewhere. DW keeps her blond hair with a little bit of help.

Wow! That is amazing no gray at 68. I started graying early 50's and now at 62 I'm completely gray/white. I trim my hair to 1/2 inch in length.

I started graying early 50's and now at 62 I'm completely gray/white. I trim my hair to 1/2 inch in length.

Same here, except I didn't start graying until the late 60's - 1960's that is. Had my first gray hairs while still in my teens and went slowly through the salt n pepper phase until I was completely gray, once again in my 60's. Thankfully it turned gray, not loose.

I color my hair so no gray, haha. I met a woman a few weeks ago who is 70 and has no gray and made a joke about my “natural” hair and was sooo embarrassed when she said she did not color her hair. Oops.

I have mix of brown and gray and its definitely thinned over the past 5 years. On the other hand, gray hair on some folks can be absolutely stunning. My mother had beautiful thick gray hair in her 50s and I've never seen anything like it. I certainly did not inherit her hair gene.

In my youth my barber/hair salon cutters would joke they should charge me extra because of my thick hair. Not anymore. It's now thin, bald spot on top of my head, and oh yeah all gray.

I started coloring about 10 years ago, because of grey-so I have grey hair, but no one can see it.

DH started with gray hairs in his 20s-went snow white at about 50
DS is 27 and is losing his hair, and he has gray hairs. He got the worst hair genes.

My mom is 78 and finally has more grey hair than her natural color. I wonder if it's a sign of longevity because I can see her easily living into her 90's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom