What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst. Habit. Ever.

That what you're referring to? :LOL:

My current. Pet peeve. Is people who break up their sentences. Into much smaller sentences. That are not even full sentences. In a strange attempt. To create emphasis.

That is all.

This morning at the local grocery store, a Chihuahua was left in a car with windows 1/4 rolled down. I went inside when I came out, the car was still there. Dog was panting but OK. Sat in my car waiting for owner to appear or I would take the dog out. Owner came out shortly. Didn't feel like confrontation so left it at that. It was 86 degrees at about 10:30 am in the mountains in So. Cal. Too hot for that little girl! I hate the confrontations but will if absolutely necessary. My peeve of the today! :nonono:

Last edited:
This morning at the local grocery store, a Chihuahua was left in a car with windows 1/4 rolled down. I went inside when I came out, the car was still there. Dog was panting but OK. Sat in my car waiting for owner to appear or I would take the dog out. Owner came out shortly. Didn't feel like confrontation so left it at that. It was 86 degrees at about 10:30 am in the mountains in So. Cal. Too hot for that little girl! I hate the confrontations but will if absolutely necessary. My peeve of the today! :nonono:

I was at the grocery store in June on a hot day and when I came out I saw an officer, car lights on, writing a ticket. I asked him "what's up?". He said "there's a dog in this car with the windows rolled up on a day like this. That's illegal in this town."

I sat down and watched to see the owner come out. The officer took his time for maximum embarrassment effect.

Steelyman love your story! I should have said something to the woman however brief. But my experience, it escalates into an argument. Usually the person becomes defensive and probably embarrassed. A cop writing a ticket is great!

I could not find anything to b*tch about today.

Female tennis players on TV who scream to the Heavens as though they are giving birth with every strike of the ball. How does the audience endure it?

I guess the women golfers are next.... :LOL:

I know, I know the male tennis players do it too sometimes, but only on serves. :greetings10:

Last edited:
I sat down and watched to see the owner come out. The officer took his time for maximum embarrassment effect.

That's being lenient. Lots of places, including where I worked, the procedure was to break out a window, get the dog out of there, and call animal rescue to take custody of the dog. Then there was the ticket from the officer and the fee from the pound.

Razztazz you are 100% correct. Normally 3 day weekends just stink, this year is worse on the holiday. 2000 bikers in a town of 12,000. The bikers haven't been a problem(dropping a lot of revenue to local businesses), local, state, federal LE seem to want to be everywhere in town. I've seen twice the amount of LE to bikers. Given the whole town is a speed trap, we're just staying home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

At least this is the end of the tourist season. Now we dare go near Harper's Ferry, WV on the weekends again.

Steelyman love your story! I should have said something to the woman however brief. But my experience, it escalates into an argument. Usually the person becomes defensive and probably embarrassed. A cop writing a ticket is great!

The police forces protect and serve the pooches too!

Worst. Habit. Ever.

Not quite, but close. Maybe I just know weird people, but I know a few who purposely break up a whole sentence in such a way as to completely interfere with the natural cadence, as with my original example. At least the example you're giving (which is in very common usage) breaks it up into single words, which I don't find quite as irksome, because it actually represents the way you might say it in real life if you wanted to create emphasis.

However, having said all that, it occurred to me yesterday that none of this stuff bothers me at all anymore. What a silly thing for me to be concerned with!

OK, I'm going crazy even thinking about this. Time to hang out with the cats some more :LOL:

That's being lenient. Lots of places, including where I worked, the procedure was to break out a window, get the dog out of there, and call animal rescue to take custody of the dog. Then there was the ticket from the officer and the fee from the pound.

I like it.
My dad worked in downtown LA and there was a fire in a large building across the street. A car was parked right in front of the fire hydrant on his side of the street. The FD rolled up, broke windows on both sides of the car, and ran the hose right through. Sure, they could have opened the other door after breaking one window, but . . . And I'll bet he got a ticket, too.

I was at the grocery store in June on a hot day and when I came out I saw an officer, car lights on, writing a ticket. I asked him "what's up?". He said "there's a dog in this car with the windows rolled up on a day like this. That's illegal in this town."

Good for him. Good story!

Worst. Habit. Ever.

Not quite, but close. Maybe I just know weird people, but I know a few who purposely break up a whole sentence in such a way as to completely interfere with the natural cadence, as with my original example. At least the example you're giving (which is in very common usage) breaks it up into single words, which I don't find quite as irksome, because it actually represents the way you might say it in real life if you wanted to create emphasis.

Worst. Habit. Ever. William Shatner's voice began resonating in my head while reading this.

Pet Peeve: People who use "gifted" as a verb.

He gifted me a new iPhone.

Makes me want to beat them senseless with a dictionary. A nice heavy hardbound edition.

;)

The term "arguably." Arguably the best steakhouse, arguably the best city to live in, arguably his best starring role ever, etc, etc.

Like, what does that really mean? If it isn't the absolute best, unarguably, than just say it's great and leave it at that!

When you're in a crowded public area, and some guy's standing there talking to somebody else, then he starts to walk away but turns around walking backward while he finishes the conversation -- "Yea, so call me... no email me, you got my email... yea I'll see you then."

Meanwhile everybody behind him scrambles to get out of the way while this big guy barrels through the crowd walking backward. When you can't get out of the way he just slams into you full speed, both of you stumble around and he says "Oh, sorry. Didn't see you."

:rolleyes:

I review technical reports occasionally. Some writers like to use the word "utilize" in places where something is used. Like this: The shop utilizes oil taken from 275 gallon tanks....

That drives me crazy, especially when the report is full of "utilize" words instead of just plain "use".

I review technical reports occasionally. Some writers like to use the word "utilize" in places where something is used. Like this: The shop utilizes oil taken from 275 gallon tanks....

That drives me crazy, especially when the report is full of "utilize" words instead of just plain "use".
+++++! I hate the word utilize. It smacks of someone trying to sound sophisticated when they obviously are not.

New home construction contractors who put wallpaper directly on unpainted drywall. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom