Transportation sector

Mr._Graybeard

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Is there still some upside to these stocks? Airlines and shipping companies should continue to benefit from lower energy costs. Or are those benefits already baked into share prices?

I have some exchange debt notes in Seaspan which is a container shipping company. But I read that the companies that ship their goods on Seaspans ships are the ones who pay for the fuel. So they anyways it would appear do not benefit from the lower energy prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not normally a sector player, but it's hard to imagine how airlines and companies like FedEx can't see an improved balance sheet with fuel prices plunging. A lot (if not all) of them hedge fuel prices with long-term contracts, I know, but it's a new year. Trouble is, a lot of people have probably figured all that out about six months ago.

I put my toe in the water anyway with iShares' Transportation Average ETF (IYT). We'll see where it goes. It holds FedEx and UPS along with several railroads and UAL, among others.

I definitely like the airlines still, I liked them well before oil started falling. If you consider how many mergers have taken place in the American market, and all the restructuring that took place prior, the low fuel prices are just icing on the cake.

Back
Top Bottom