My first dread-free Sunday is today.

Ally,

Congrats! Enjoy savoring no alarm and you wake up with a huge smile on your face. I am 2 months behind you, can't wait!

Congratulations! I retired two years ago this last week, so thanks for reminding me that today is Sunday. Tomorrow you can wake up and go :dance: Enjoy!

Thanks so much, everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I retired Friday and this is the first time in more than thirty years that I'm not dreading Monday. Even on vacation, I knew they might call me with an emergency as soon as the week began. I hope the other two or three who retired June 5th, too, are as happy as I am!

That's awesome! Congratulations! I am nearly 2 years in, and the dread-free Sundays are the best. Had a busy weekend, and stayed up late last night watching NBA game. Now just enjoying coffee, while I hear others heading off to the grind. :)

Sunday night is now spent planning Monday's fun. I LOVE Mondays. After rush hour, I can run all the errands I want, go for a hike, or drive to the beach. Much less competitive out on the road and in the grocery checkout line. The people that are out and about also seem more relaxed and friendly. It's summer now, so there are more kids and their attending grown-ups, but come the end of August they will be gone. And everyone knows the best beach weather around here is in September and early October.

I just finished my next-to-last Monday today. But next Monday will be something slightly less dreadful than normal, as I will basically be finalizing file transfers/physical file tidying up, cleaning my last personal stuff off my laptop, and turning in my key card, credit card, laptop, etc.

I won't be totally free from Monday duties, as DS will have an intensive class for five weeks this summer, and then start a full time academic program in the fall, with MOnday morning wakeup duty being my responsibility. But once I get him off to school the day will be mine to spend as I please. I'm a morning person anyway, so don't really mind getting up early.

Yes, this was one nice bonus I didn't expect.

I can't say that I "dreaded" Mondays. But, after retirement, I realized that I had been getting "geared up" for Monday on Sunday night. I'm sure my blood pressure went up a little.

I never really thought about it until after I retired. Relaxed Sunday evenings are nice.

Just a few years ago, I dreaded Fridays because I loved what I did and I knew that I wouldn't be w*rking for 2 days. Then I began to dread Sunday afternoon since that meant Monday was coming and I had to go to w*rk in a few hours. Now I am 23 days (on the calendar, 15 days on the j*b!) and I will be done!!! I look forward to that loss of the dread feeling. Congrats!!

It's been a great Monday! So many thoughts that I hadn't expected have gone through my mind. We both decided to take social security early starting next month and with two SS's and my husband's pension, we will have several hundred dollars more each month than when we worked, without touching our retirement savings. It is so strange to be mostly healthy, energetic and to have more than enough money coming in without working! And we have no debts, a nice home and 4 vehicles. I feel very fortunate. :)

Congrats! I can only imagine what that feels like right now. Enjoy everything. It is the fruit of your labor.

Congratulations. You are truly an endangered species--a 30 year plus employee.

Now, have your telephone number disconnected. And go on a long vacation trip.

There will be plenty of time to do all those projects you've been putting off.

I work harder in retirement than when employed. 6 1/2 years later, and I've not scratched the surface of the things needed--including 2014's Spring Cleaning. After taking 4 major vacations in just over a year, I need to stay home more.

Take a deep breath and relax on Sundays! You've earned it. Great job

After a while "dread-free Sunday" will turn into "I didn't even know that it is Sunday", then you will be truly retired.

Congrats Ally

It is refreshing to know that while there are things to do they are mainly things YOU want to do not things someone else wants you do do

I can feel the Sunday Night Blues even BEFORE the weekend arrives. This weekend is a three day weekend with Independence Day, but I'm already thinking about how bad Sunday Night is going to suck. Isn't that pathetic? Well, eight months and counting.

I woke up early this morning (5:00) and got up had some breakfast. In 20 minutes I will get my son up for his summer j*b. 20 minutes after that, I will go back to bed! I love it! DW and I are planning on letting our natural clocks take over to see if we get better sleep.

It's been a month now and I'm gloriously happy. No stress at all. I still get a call occasionally from work about who to call or what regulation applies to a problem, but I don't mind. The lady who was promoted to my job is beginning to see the additional stress. I told her that she needs to start saving a whole lot more money, so that if she decides to retire early, she can. A week later she called me back to say that she and her husband did a LBYM budget and are going to start saving several thousand dollars more each year.

I do set my alarm so I can get up and walk for 45 minutes or so before it gets too hot. But I don't mind getting up for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Wonderful, Ally, congratulations.
I haven't decided just when I will retire but I do know that my favorite part of the 'off work' schedule is indeed getting to get up as early as I want to... or as late as I want to if necessary.

That stop watch on 60 minutes used to churn my stomach as well.

Now I love Mondays! So great when the drones go off to work and let me shop and travel with ease.

That stop watch on 60 minutes used to churn my stomach as well.

Now I love Mondays! So great when the drones go off to work and let me shop and travel with ease.

Yes, I only shop on weekdays now. It's a whole different experience not facing crowded stores and traffic.

Yes, I only shop on weekdays now. It's a whole different experience not facing crowded stores and traffic.

+1

Ally,

Congratulations!

I was late seeing your post, but am very happy for you. Three years into my retirement and almost every Sunday night, I sigh with relief - remembering how Sunday evenings used to feel.

Back
Top Bottom