Frequency of dental checkups & eye exams

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I think from reading previous posts on this that most retirees don't carry dental or vision insurance. We elected to go without as it seemed like a breakeven proposition. Pre ER, when we had this coverage, we had two dental cleanings and an eye exam every year. Just wondering if this frequency is really necessary, or just something we were conditioned to do because that's what insurance covered. We don't want to be short sighted and forego sensible preventative care to save a few bucks, but we don't want to be wasteful either.

How frequently do you have dental cleanings and eye exams?

I have my teeth cleaned every 4 months because I form plaque quickly. I have a vision test every two years because my health insurance covers it.

I have my teeth cleaned every 4 months because I form plaque quickly.
Moi aussi.
Oops.....edited to say "Make that every three months". (But the plaque part was correct.)
I have a vision test every two years because my health insurance covers it.

Every year....'cause I'm an old person and health ins covers it.

Last edited:
Health insurance covers eye exam every 2 years. Vision helps cut the cost of glasses. I found a combined vision and dental through a professional association. I do cleanings every 6 months, DH every 4 months. Eye exam every 2 years. Been wearing glasses since I was 7.

I believe in an ounce of prevention in health. I have cleanings every 3 months (as a FIRE'd Dentist I know to avoid periodontal problems), vision every 6 months (due to an existing retina issue), colonoscopies on schedule, annual internist exams, etc., etc. I don't want to ever have something serious develop out of my own neglect.

Rich

We go twice yearly to get cleanings. Since I'm type II diabetic, eye exams get done yearly.

Our BCBS dental insurance is $33 a month each--$396 a year. They pay out about $250 a year on cleanings and x-rays. Having a root canal or crown is what I fear and they pay 50% of $850 each. Most root canals require a crown, also.

I also have my teeth cleaned every 3-4 months. This year I bought dental insurance for the first time because I need a few implants. Waiting to see if it beats break even. Looks like it should.

We go twice yearly to get cleanings. Since I'm type II diabetic, eye exams get done yearly.

Same here. I had been going to the dentist every 6 months for nearly 30 years. After I was diagnosed as a Type II Diabetic 2 years ago, I began going to an eye doctor once a year. I do have insurance coverage for the eye doctor, not for the dentist.

I go for dental cleaning and checkup every 4 months. In fact, have an appointment in a couple of days.

I go for vision exam usually once a year.

Self-pay for dental. Pay for own vision insurance thru VSP plan.

Retired Dentist Here: I can't speak for eyes, but the proper interval for your dental cleanings is totally dependent upon your oral condition.

If you have slightly deeper periodontal pockets, greater than 4mm, and you have trouble accessing these areas with your daily oral hygiene practices, then very likely you would benefit from a more frequent visit. This can really only be evaluated by your hygienist and dentist, over time.
If you need to be seen every 3 months, but you feel like you want to save a few hundred bucks a year, you should evaluate that thinking by comparing it to the cost and discomfort associated with advanced periodontal disease, vs. paying to keep it in check.

If you don't know what a 4mm pocket is, you need to learn, and your hygienist and dentist will be delighted to educate you.

Frequency of dental checkups & eye exams

I have dental visits every 3 months due to implants and the tendency to accumulate plaque quickly. Happy to practice cheap prevention.

Eye exams less frequent than annually- either when I want new glasses (prefer Costco and they require prescription less than a year old due to stupid state law) or the old ones don't seem to be working as well as they did before.

Our BCBS allows dental cleaning every 6 months, and eye exams every year. I do both, especially with my eyes, as I've already had one cataract surgery (lens replacement), with the other eye following closely behind.

Very interesting timing on this thread, as I'm scheduled for my routine dental cleaning later this afternoon.

A few years ago, I decided to start scheduling cleanings once every 8-9 months, since I don't have dental insurance and my dentist said that would be perfectly OK considering my overall dental health.

As for vision checkups, I try to go once every 2-3 years.

Dental: Every 6 months but I really should go every 3-4 too.
Vision: Typically every 4 years cuz I'm lazy and my vision is pretty stable. However, I really need to look into bifocals.
I'm on my wife's work plan that covers semi-annual dental visits and bi-annual vision check ups.

I have not had dental or vision insurance since I retired 12 years ago.

I see the DDS once a year and have two cleanings per year. I see the eye Doctor every two years. When I start Medicare in October, I will have coverage for both but might just keep the same schedule. I'll have to evaluate that.

Dental cleaning every 6 months. Strictly out of pocket but hardly expensive. Worth it to keep up with the ongoing condition of such vital equipment

Eyeball check: Once per year. Strictly out of pocket but not expensive.

dental every 6 months
vision every 4 months due to glaucoma
both currently covered via insurance

I do a dental deep cleaning once a year. With twice daily cleaning and flossing, it seems to be adequate.

I only see the Ophthamologist when I experience vision issues. Practically in 20 years, that has been 5 times. But I went through 10 years before that of many visits.

I suppose I am blessed when I see what other posters go through...

Hygienist every other month. I enjoy it, find it very relaxing and think I would rather get my teeth cleaned than get a massage. Avoid the polishing and fluoride rinse, hate both of those.

Dental cleanings every six months, covered by insurance but I'd do it anyway if it wasn't.

Vision once a year, also covered, but if I notice a change I'll go in even if I have to pay for it out of pocket and have done so twice in recent years. I place a high value on teeth and vision, among other things. I'd feel pretty stupid if I lost either because I was too cheap to pay for a checkup.

Hygienist every other month. I enjoy it, find it very relaxing and think I would rather get my teeth cleaned than get a massage. Avoid the polishing and fluoride rinse, hate both of those.

Really? Wow! While I have no particular anxieties about tooth cleaning, I have to confess this is the first time I hear of someone actually ENJOYING it! Fair enough though - and good for YOU! :cool:

Dental cleaning and exam every 3 months. Eye exams will be every year (at Costco) (up from every 3-4 years) due to type 2 diabetes diagnoses. No insurance for either.

I also have no dental anxieties. My dentist uses a bite block for me because I often fall asleep in the chair, even during root canals.

I spend more time at the dentist and optometrist than I do at the medical doctor's office. Many medical websites recommend eye exams only every 2-3 years if you are healthy and are not having any vision problems. However I have high myopia so have always had yearly exams. My vision insurance seems to be worth it as my eyeglasses are quite expensive but would probably forego it if I had good eyes and stable vision. Until my mid 50's, my optometrist dilated my eyes every 2 years but now annually. Since then I have been referred by him to an ophthalmologist twice but this was covered under medical insurance.

I've had periodontal disease for years so have flossed every day with semiannual cleanings. My dentist at the time did not accept insurance. In my late 50's I started to have deeper pockets and now have cleanings every 3 months and see a periodontist annually. I signed up for dental insurance just before visiting him as I was worried about requiring surgery and I also had some 45 year old fillings that needed to be replaced by a new dentist. The dental insurance paid off initially. But before deciding whether to cancel, I want to check out how much it pays for implants, etc. and whether dentists in my new retirement location are in the insurance network.

Dental cleaning every 4 months, just had one last week. Go to eye doc every two years.

Thanks for all the responses. Seems that the overwhelming consensus is to spend the money for regular frequent checkups.

Back
Top Bottom