ICE CREAM at home

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone make ice cream at home? I have one of those inexpensive Cuisinart machines that you freeze the container that you make the ice cream in. Works pretty good.

But since it is a holiday season I found that you can bypass all the prep work and mess and just buy Egg Nog at the grocery and pour it in the machine for a holiday ice cream in about 10 minutes. And to avoid having the ice cream freeze like a block of ice in the freezer I added a couple of shots of bourbon. :D

Cheers!

Anyone make ice cream at home? I have one of those inexpensive Cuisinart machines that you freeze the container that you make the ice cream in. Works pretty good.

But since it is a holiday season I found that you can bypass all the prep work and mess and just buy Egg Nog at the grocery and pour it in the machine for a holiday ice cream in about 10 minutes. And to avoid having the ice cream freeze like a block of ice in the freezer I added a couple of shots of bourbon. :D

Cheers!
Now that's what I call a friendly, helpful holiday post! :)

I have thought it would be nice to make ice cream at home, so that when I am working on weight loss I could make it sugar free and maybe a little lower in calories, and make it any time I want ice cream. Still, I just like ice cream too much so I haven't purchased an ice cream maker.

Egg nog sounds delightful, but to be honest, bourbon isn't my cup of tea (cup of ice cream?). :2funny:

I have thought it would be nice to make ice cream at home, so that when I am working on weight loss I could make it sugar free and maybe a little lower in calories, and make it any time I want ice cream. Still, I just like ice cream too much so I haven't purchased an ice cream maker.

Egg nog sounds delightful, but to be honest, bourbon isn't my cup of tea (cup of ice cream?). :2funny:

We have a low sugar recipe. In fact, as luck would have it, we made coffee ice cream tonight in the cuisinart. :dance: We only use 1/4 cup of sugar.

1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 - 4 tsp instant coffee
dash of salt
3 cups of milk, 1/2 and 1/2 (or a combination)
1 cup of greek yogurt
The yogurt helps to keep it smooth. You don't need the yogurt if you use normal amounts of sugar.

If you keep the sugar amount low the rest of the recipe is mostly milk (and eggs if you make custard). Sounds like health food to me.

Cheers!

Yes, I have made the cream at home with the motor - bucket, ice and salt. It rocks!

The downside is you end up with much to much ice cream which makes you fat. Not to mention it's all the same flavor so you throw it out when you get tired of eating it.

Now I buy premium cream in pints at the store - :)

That Cuisinart thing makes awesome blackberry frozen yogurt. Unfortunately dairy is out for me at the moment.

My home version of ice cream is using chopped frozen bananas in a blender and adding additional ingredients (strawberries, blueberries, nuts, peanut butter, etc.) for flavor. Makes a good soft serve or sherbet type of ice cream but haven't had any luck freezing it so only make what I'll use immediately.

I don't make it at home now but when I was kid we made home made ice cream. You had to turn the crank by hand not electric. It was a big deal making ice cream and made a lot but nothing was thrown out I can tell you that. Memories of the days with no worriers and being young and having fun. LOL

Last edited:
Yes, I have made the cream at home with the motor - bucket, ice and salt. It rocks!

The downside is you end up with much to much ice cream which makes you fat. Not to mention it's all the same flavor so you throw it out when you get tired of eating it.

Now I buy premium cream in pints at the store - :)

Never have I thrown out ice cream, what a horrible thought...:eek:

We make homemade ice cream in the summer months when we have the grandkids.

For the rest of the year, we just buy the partial half gallon containers. What up with that:confused:

I can only get 3 servings out of a carton.

We love making homemade ice cream, we even bought a second freezable insert for our machine so that we can make two flavors at a time!

And the egg nog makes sense! It's basically just a custard.

We make ice cream when we have friends over, so that there's a number of people to share and we don't end up eating too much or throwing extra out when it gets leathery from age.

We used to make homemade ice cream for the kids. It's so good!

Be careful with recipes for low sugar ice cream. It can be done, but the sugar is more than a simple sweetener, it has a big effect on the crystal formation of the ice cream. It's hard to make real ice cream with little or no sugar without using other "exotic" chemicals substituted for the C12H22O11 (table sugar) normally used.

just buy Egg Nog at the grocery and pour it in the machine for a holiday ice cream in about 10 minutes. And to avoid having the ice cream freeze like a block of ice in the freezer I added a couple of shots of bourbon. :D

Cheers!
:flowers: wow! Thanks for the post, will do!

We used to make homemade ice cream for the kids. It's so good!

Be careful with recipes for low sugar ice cream. It can be done, but the sugar is more than a simple sweetener, it has a big effect on the crystal formation of the ice cream. It's hard to make real ice cream with little or no sugar without using other "exotic" chemicals substituted for the C12H22O11 (table sugar) normally used.

Agreed. We have had success adding 1 cup of whole fat greek yogurt to 3 cups milk and 1/4 cup sugar. Not as smooth as full sugar ice cream but it works.

We have the Cuisinart ice cream machine also, and traditionally use it to make ice cream in the summer and at Christmas. It's so darn good, we have to limit how often it gets pulled into use or we'd be in all kinds of trouble.

At this time of year I love making peppermint ice cream. In addition to crushed candy canes, I add a drop or two of red food coloring to give it a pretty pink glow. So good with chocolate fudge topping!

Never have I thrown out ice cream, what a horrible thought...:eek:

Indeed, sacrilegious!

...make it sugar free and maybe a little lower in calories...

I'm not sure, but I think that's against the law. Might even be a felony.:LOL:

Like I said, I don't eat a lot of cream, it makes me fat. So when I made that large can of butter pecan (which rocked) I had like a half gallon. Leave that in the freezer for 6 months and it grows all kinds of crystals, changes color in spots and picks up all kinds of "fridge odors"

Yup, I tossed it in the sink and washed it down the drain. Followed by the maker in the trash. Fini.

Back
Top Bottom