Medicare Supplements

Lawman, I suggest you contact someone like BoomerBenefis.com in Ft Worth, who are experts on all things related to Medicare. They have been mentioned on this site many times, a number of us have used their (free) services and have been very happy with them. Providing accurate answers to questions like yours is what they do for a living - with the hope you will purchase a Medigap policy through them when the time comes.

Lawman, I suggest you contact someone like BoomerBenefis.com in Ft Worth, who are experts on all things related to Medicare. They have been mentioned on this site many times, a number of us have used their (free) services and have been very happy with them. Providing accurate answers to questions like yours is what they do for a living - with the hope you will purchase a Medigap policy through them when the time comes.

Thanks I will do that.

Your DW's employer should send you a letter that specifies that the group plan that you are on with them qualifies as suitable insurance in lieu of Medicare, as long as you are on it. If you are well into your 64th year and have not received such a letter, request one.
The annual notice of creditable coverage is to avoid the Part D late enrollment penalty (LEP) only. There is no annual notice for Part B.

When a person over age 65 loses their large group plan, they have the employer complete CMS Form L-564 to prove continuous large group coverage and avoid the Part B LEP.

CMS Form L-564: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/Downloads/CMS-L564E.pdf

How do I enroll in Part B through the SEP?

Ask the employer to complete CMS L564. These forms show SSA that you have been continuously covered by job-based insurance.

Once you have gathered all needed documents, go to your local Social Security office to drop off your application.

Additional information: http://www.medicarerights.org/fliers/Part-B-Enrollment/Medicare-Part-B-SEP.pdf
Each year, Medicare Part D requires group health plan sponsors to disclose to individuals who are eligible for Medicare Part D and to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) whether the health plan’s prescription drug coverage is creditable. Plan sponsors must provide the annual disclosure notice to Medicare-eligible individuals before Oct. 15—the start date of the annual enrollment period for Medicare Part D.

Reference: Medicare Part D Notices

Last edited:
AFAIK you should automatically get a letter about enrolling in Medicare, just because you're approaching 65.
The letter is only sent to those who receive SS benefits before age 65 as it notifies them of automatic enrollment in Medicare.

Signing up for Medicare
When should I apply?

If you’re already getting Social Security benefits, or railroad retirement checks, we’ll send you information a few months before you become eligible for Medicare.

If you’re not already getting benefits, you should contact Social Security about three months before your 65th birthday to sign up for Medicare.

Reference: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10043.pdf

Individuals already receiving Social Security or RRB benefits at least 4 months before being eligible for Medicare and residing in the United States (except residents of Puerto Rico) are automatically enrolled in both premium-free Part A and Part B. People who are automatically enrolled have the choice whether they want to keep or refuse Part B coverage. People living in Puerto Rico who are eligible for automatic enrollment are only enrolled in premium-free Part A; they must actively enroll in Part B to get this coverage.

Individuals who are not receiving a Social Security or RRB benefit are not automatically enrolled.

Reference: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Eligibility-and-Enrollment/OrigMedicarePartABEligEnrol/

thanks guys! Ya'll are great..This place is cool!..It's really refreshing to have internet discourse that's informative and not political...I can do this!!:dance:

My wife and I are approaching Medicare eligibility..The supplements are confusing..Other than Advantage Plans is plan F the most comprehensive? Looking for general discussion here as we are rapidly approaching the time to make decisions..Thanks..

Some supplement providers will give you both a discount if you and are wife both get a supplement from them. I go on Medicare in April. (I already received the letter telling me I was automatically enrolled -- I am receiving SS).

I am planning to sign up for Plan G (DH is on Plan F). DH has AARP/UHC and I will probably sign up with them also so that we each get a 5% discount. Next enrollment period DH may try to see if he can switch from F to G. (It wasn't available here when he enrolled several years ago). He doesn't have any serious health problems so I expect he will qualify to do it.

Also remember to look at Part D (prescription drug) plans and pick one of those as well.

Some supplement providers will give you both a discount if you and are wife both get a supplement from them. I go on Medicare in April. (I already received the letter telling me I was automatically enrolled -- I am receiving SS).

I am planning to sign up for Plan G (DH is on Plan F). DH has AARP/UHC and I will probably sign up with them also so that we each get a 5% discount. Next enrollment period DH may try to see if he can switch from F to G. (It wasn't available here when he enrolled several years ago). He doesn't have any serious health problems so I expect he will qualify to do it.

Also remember to look at Part D (prescription drug) plans and pick one of those as well.

I called Boomer Benefits today and they told me to call back when I got ready..They seem to get good reviews so I will likely go with them...thanks..

Boomer Benefits was also good at letting us know which Part D plans has limits on quantities of prescriptions DW was taking. Foe example we found out that 1 drug she was taking, (at 20mg dosage), 2 times per day, (60 per mo.), had a quantity limit of 30 per mo. They told us that if she were on the 40mg dosage there were no quantity limits. So DW got her Dr. to prescribe the 40mg dose and she simply splits the pill. We hadn't heard about quantity limits until we talked to Boomer Benefits.

Boomer Benefits was also good at letting us know which Part D plans has limits on quantities of prescriptions DW was taking. Foe example we found out that 1 drug she was taking, (at 20mg dosage), 2 times per day, (60 per mo.), had a quantity limit of 30 per mo. They told us that if she were on the 40mg dosage there were no quantity limits. So DW got her Dr. to prescribe the 40mg dose and she simply splits the pill. We hadn't heard about quantity limits until we talked to Boomer Benefits.

Thanks for the heads up!

A shout out to Boomer Benefits. Unhappy with DH's broker so I used BB based on recommendations on this site. Applied for Medigap Plan F as well as Part D drug plan. BB determined that based on the 2 generic drugs I take, the best plan for me was one that they did NOT represent. She explained the nuances of Part D and how it relates to me and suggested the plan and walked me through the enrollment process on Medicare.gov. Very, very pleased with their service.

edited to add: I'm sure we'll be switching DH over to BB during the next birthday month opportunity.

Another happy Boomer Benefits customer here. I bought Plan G, Part D and a dental-hearing-vision plan through them. They were knowledgeable, professional and courteous. I did a lot of homework, and glad I did, but it wasn’t necessary after all with BB. I am sure I’ll recommend BB to DW when she comes of age.

Another happy Boomer Benefits customer here. I bought Plan G, Part D and a dental-hearing-vision plan through them. They were knowledgeable, professional and courteous. I did a lot of homework, and glad I did, but it wasn’t necessary after all with BB. I am sure I’ll recommend BB to DW when she comes of age.

Dealing with BB is a refreshing change from the way-too-many businesses who seem to pay only lip service to taking care of their customers. Lets hope they can keep up the good work.

Good to know! I guess we'll be contacting them early next year when DH needs to sign up for Medicare.

He doesn't have any prescriptions. We will probably get a Plan G and then just some cheapest Part D plan.

What happens to them when Gen X starts turning 65? :LOL:

Seriously, though, yeah, I know people who have used them and recommend it.

Last edited:
If I subscribe to Plan N, and want to get out of Plan N later for some reason, and get into some other Medigap plan (not Medicare Advantage) I would have to go through medical underwriting, right? I know I can stay in Plan N forever and renew each year without underwriting, as long as I keep paying the premiums, but to get into a different Medigap plan, I would be subject to underwriting, yes?

Last edited:
If I subscribe to Plan N, and want to get out of Plan N later for some reason, and get into some other Medigap plan (not Medicare Advantage) I would have to go through medical underwriting, right? I know I can stay in Plan N forever and renew each year without underwriting, as long as I keep paying the premiums, but to get into a different Medigap plan, I would be subject to underwriting, yes?

Possibly depending on your state, if you stay with the same company and move up or down in coverage, or change providers. As I read the various sites, you "may" be subject to underwriting. I specifically asked the Rep from BCBSIL about this when DW signed up. He said he had never seen underwriting required when his customers wanted to change plans. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and he can't guarantee we can do so in the future. As in about everything in life, YMMV.

If I subscribe to Plan N, and want to get out of Plan N later for some reason, and get into some other Medigap plan (not Medicare Advantage) I would have to go through medical underwriting, right?

Yes, in most cases. However, as in most things Medicare related it isn't clear cut. It depends on what plan you want to change from/to, the state where you live, the carrier's rules, etc.

FWIW, last year DW and I changed from BC/BS plan F-HD to Mutual of Omaha plan N and were required to go through underwriting.

Not that I hope to, but anyone know if you have to undergo underwriting if you only change providers? e.g. from MoA plan G to AARP plan G.

Not that I hope to, but anyone know if you have to undergo underwriting if you only change providers? e.g. from MoA plan G to AARP plan G.

I suppose it depends on the state, but in general I would say yes, changing providers even for the same plan means underwriting past the initial period.

I suppose it depends on the state, but in general I would say yes, changing providers even for the same plan means underwriting past the initial period.

unfortunately in most states I would assume that after the initial 6 months of non underwriting passes, that my selection of a plan is permanent. .which puts a lot pressure on people to pick the right plan...

I agree. Unless there is a state law preventing it, I cannot imagine any Medigap insurer not requiring underwriting on someone in the situation Midpack describes.

I agree. Unless there is a state law preventing it, I cannot imagine any Medigap insurer not requiring underwriting on someone in the situation Midpack describes.
I was afraid of that, and I'm in the initial enrollment period so I chose a plan and a provider I'd expect to be around until I go poof just in case. So there won't be any casual shopping around providers for rates from year to year, but I expected that. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom