Composite/Plastic Decking

More than 6 years ago we used PVC (not the same as composite which contains wood fibers) for our screened porch and small, attached stoop. We chose a light tan color to minimize heat. It probably wasn't necessary but we used 14" joist spacing to reduce the chance of sagging.

We have absolutely no complaints. The only maintenance has been an occasional spray with a hose.

This what’s taken me over a month of long days. Will not re-stain or sand ever again

Attachments

• D3A91DCC-93C5-4502-BCE8-65A6532F34A4.jpg
    D3A91DCC-93C5-4502-BCE8-65A6532F34A4.jpg
    841.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 442D18EC-BDB5-4096-A093-0CCE260DF811.jpg
    442D18EC-BDB5-4096-A093-0CCE260DF811.jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 32
  • A0C0BF51-7A1B-4C8E-8FF0-90436B1C82B4.jpg
    A0C0BF51-7A1B-4C8E-8FF0-90436B1C82B4.jpg
    691.8 KB · Views: 34
Thanks all for your input. I was a bit apprehensive last night after doing the research, however, realize that many of the comments on the internet tend to be negative. Lots of pics with the wavy boards as well as the mold/mildew that wouldn't clean up. Kind of scared me from composite/plastic!

Came to the conclusion that the TimberTech is a good quality, reasonably priced product and need to purchase one of their top of the lines. They have 4 lines, 2 of which have excellent moisture resistance. Now to decide whether to spend the extra bux for their AZEK or go with their lesser PRO line. As DH said, the 50 year warranty on the AZEK vs. the 30 year on the PRO...we'll not be around for either one :LOL:. Will need to research the other differences between the 2 lines.

NW-Bound, thanks for the link to your '17 thread. Somehow I missed that and only caught the older 2009 or so threads.

I have an old wood deck at my cabin. The frame seems solid, but the deck floor boards are in very poor shape.
I figure I would replace the deck at some point, but I started to replace the worst condition deck boards with the brown treated pine 2x6 from Home Depot.
It is just like the treated green pine, but brown in color. I'm surprised how nice it looks.

I've revised my plans, and I'm going to replace all of the deck flooring with this brown treated pine. My plan is to apply a coat of wood preservative, not solid stain or paint, every few years.

I personally hate the looks and the hot surface of the plastic wood on a deck floor.

Take care, JP

I'm not sure what brand etc. but had a friend tell me he is tearing his deck off because it is like a staking pond in the winter. He said it is dangerously stick from a light snow. All I know it is a composite type of decking and stairway material.

We put in a TAMCO Envision Evergrain (Shaded Auburn) deck about 7 years ago. It had just come out when I was making deck plans. It's the closest to real wood look that I've seen. Seven years later and it still looks new. I kept a couple of extra pieces in the garage and got them out this year to see if the deck had faded. Not a bit that I could tell. We also used hidden fasteners so there are no screws showing. No fading, mold, cracks, nothing. A quick rinse twice a year with a hose and it looks great. Zero maintenance.

Only problem was the price. Between the premium decking and the hidden fasteners, we probably paid 2 - 3 times what a wood deck would have cost. But, I'm glad we did it.

Composite Decking - Idea Gallery 2 | Envision® Decking

Do use joist tape to protect the joists as they will most likely fail before the decking does when using composite decking. Also flash the ledger board to protect the house from water.

I've been concerned about the heat aspect of going to composit/plastc.

Even now with wood boards our deck and front porch get very hot until around 4 in the afternoon.

From the blind link above:

The sun is king. It makes [synthetic] deck temperatures 34º to 76º hotter than ambient air.

If your family will be barefoot much of the summer in warmer, sunny climates – Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc. – consider a wood deck or a patio. Don’t burn your feet on PVC.

If your family will be barefoot much of the summer in warmer, sunny climates – Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc. – consider a wood deck or a patio. Don’t burn your feet on PVC.

Or, wear shoes?

We always wear shoes outside, so heat is not an issue for us. And the neighborhood kitties who love our yard are smart enough to stay off the deck when it gets too hot :LOL:.

As someone who lives where temps near or exceed 100F almost every day from late May to late September, the thought of having something attached to the house that heats up an additional 30 to 70 degrees and then radiates that heat to the nearby surroundings isn't appealing. It would be nice to have the reduced maintenance synthetic decking provides, but I'm just not hot on the idea. :)

All it takes is some practice.

hot-coals.png

As someone who lives where temps near or exceed 100F almost every day from late May to late September, the thought of having something attached to the house that heats up an additional 30 to 70 degrees and then radiates that heat to the nearby surroundings isn't appealing. It would be nice to have the reduced maintenance synthetic decking provides, but I'm just not hot on the idea. :)

Now that gets me thinking.

The same amount of sunlight hits both wood and PVC decks. I don't see a lot of reflection from wood decks so I doubt that there is a lot of energy reflection in the visible spectrum. I suppose there could be much more reflection outside of the visible spectrum, but I'd be surprised by that.

I suspect that both type of decks convert a similar amount of sunlight to heat and that the amount depends substantially on the color of the deck. Dark decks will, I suspect, convert more light to heat, all other things being equal.

Even at the same temperature, wood may seem less hot than PVC because wood conducts heat to the foot more slowly. (Metal, for example, at 150 deg 'feels' much warmer than wood at 150 deg.) Also, wood probably has a lower heat capacity than PVC and stores less heat, so there is less stored heat to conduct to the foot. Wood may feel cooler without actually being at a lower temperature.

Conservation of energy suggests that wood (or paint/stain) and PVC, depending on color, must dissipate equal amounts of heat (unless one is more reflective). That heat can be radiated or conducted to the air.

Hot wood may be more comfortable to walk on than PVC but I'm not sure that either causes less heating of the local environment. (But, I've been wrong many times before.)

... Even at the same temperature, wood may seem less hot than PVC because wood conducts heat to the foot more slowly. (Metal, for example, at 150 deg 'feels' much warmer than wood at 150 deg.) Also, wood probably has a lower heat capacity than PVC and stores less heat, so there is less stored heat to conduct to the foot. Wood may feel cooler without actually being at a lower temperature...

I suspect this to be the case.

The way to settle this is to measure the surface temperature with an infrared thermometer. I will try to remember to bring mine up to the boondocks home where the deck is.

The above effect is how one does not get burn when holding a Space Shuttle insulation tile heated to 2200F.

Tile-625x350.jpg

Last edited:
I've been concerned about the heat aspect of going to composit/plastc.

Even now with wood boards our deck and front porch get very hot until around 4 in the afternoon.

It's 94 degrees right now in Minneapolis at 3:45 in the afternoon. My south facing deck, made of Azek composite board is slate gray has been in direct sunlight all day. I just went out there in bare feet (put the palm of my hand down first to test, Ha!) and it's not very hot at all. Warmer than 94, sure, but not uncomfortably hot. Certainly I could stand in my bare feet for as long as I wanted to. I expected it to be too hot to stand on and was very pleasantly surprised.

^ about the same thing here. 93 degrees. Went out barefoot on the Trex and it as warm but not hot. Mine probably only has a few hours of direct sunlight on it now.

As someone who lives where temps near or exceed 100F almost every day from late May to late September, the thought of having something attached to the house that heats up an additional 30 to 70 degrees and then radiates that heat to the nearby surroundings isn't appealing.

Put the deck on the shady side of the house. Or add a shade feature. There's no law that says a deck has to be in full sun.

^^^^ One may have to rotate the house.

In my case, I would have to rotate the entire hill, because the view down to the valley below is the reason for the deck.

Southern exposure works out great for me at the high elevation, in order to get warmth in the winter. Would not change a thing.

PS. I did have to build coverings for the side decks. Too much sun makes the whole thing unusable due to sunburn.

^^^^ One may have to rotate the house.

In my case, I would have to rotate the entire hill, because the view down to the valley below is the reason for the deck.

Exactly the same here. And since the south-facing deck is an extension to a covered porch, shading the deck would not meet the approval of the DW. We have several windows along that side of the house to allow us to enjoy the view of the valley below and reducing the light from those windows by shading the deck isn't an option.

Last edited:
It's 94 degrees right now in Minneapolis at 3:45 in the afternoon. My south facing deck, made of Azek composite board is slate gray has been in direct sunlight all day. I just went out there in bare feet (put the palm of my hand down first to test, Ha!) and it's not very hot at all. Warmer than 94, sure, but not uncomfortably hot. Certainly I could stand in my bare feet for as long as I wanted to. I expected it to be too hot to stand on and was very pleasantly surprised.

Had to go "down below" yesterday. Got back at about 4--- bloody hot for the EUP at 85 degrees. Checked the deck and is was fine for walking on.

Biggest heat issue we have is the front porch as the direction etc has it in pretty much full sun from late morning to late afternoon.

Living in the north and in the city, we keep our sidewalks clear and usable, with a lot of shoveling and heavy use of sand. The sand eventually gets tracked up to the stairs and porch so tends to sand the finish off.

Mail carriers, newspaper, even UPS etc wear spikes on their shoes/boots to prevent slipping. Totally fine with us to wear them, but the sand and spikes do beat the finish up and I suppose the wood itself.

Any ideas is composite/PVC would hold up to sand and spikes?

Starting to think, that yearly maintenance on the porch is still the best way.

Back into the mid 70s today and for the next week or so.:dance:

It's 80 degrees today, deck is in direct sun again. I went out there in bare feet expecting it to be warm but not hot, but today it was much warmer. After less than a minute I had to put on shoes. Weird. I guess that is the difference in sun angle from 1:00pm and 3:45pm.

Back
Top Bottom