Composite/Plastic Decking

They're just about finished building the deck. We went with Timbertech Legacy Pro line, composite material, mocha color. 16' x 20' with 12" joist spacing. Can't wait until next summer :dance:.

Now to start a thread about using porcelain pavers for the patio and walkways!

We have a small deck around our spa and BBQ , we have a larger concrete patio . When the deck goes we will yank the spa pour concrete 5.00 sq ft lasts for ever . but can get hot

Glad this was revived, working on plans to build a ground level deck. I see mention of sagging issues with the joist spaced at 24" and recommend they be spaced at 12", my plan has them spaced at 16". Anyone have sagging issues at 16" spacing? I assume it's satisfactory, it's what Trex recommends in their Installation Guide.

I have 16" joist spacing. Trex deck is on year 3 (or is it 4?). No sagging, even with the deck on the south side where it is hot.

Glad this was revived, working on plans to build a ground level deck. I see mention of sagging issues with the joist spaced at 24" and recommend they be spaced at 12", my plan has them spaced at 16". Anyone have sagging issues at 16" spacing? I assume it's satisfactory, it's what Trex recommends in their Installation Guide.

My research indicated 16" spacing unless you are using a "thinner" board, then use 12". We're not using a thinner board but tend to go overkill with anything to do with construction. We felt the additional costs for 12" spacing was worth our peace of mind.

I've never used composite decking but my tendency is to overbuild. I never go less than 16" when using wood deck boards and if using composite I'd probably go to 12". The difference over a 20' span is only 5 extra joists and a tiny fraction of the budget.

Back
Top Bottom