“10 Years of Early Retirement”

Many of the items in the article I agree with. Others I don't.

I am just finishing my 14th year of retirement.

I disagree with:

"Having to think about money sucks."

Because I built into my budget a surplus or cushion, I don't worry if I go on a small spending spree once in a while. All that means is I use up the surplus/cushion. I don't have ot make any changes to offset the added spending. I have had to tweak my portfolio a few times to adjust to economic conditions or portfolio performance, but it's not a frequent thing and I would never say it "sucks."

"It takes years to decompress from a high-intensity career."

Whether or not my career was a high-intensity one is debatable. But it took me about a week to decompress from it, especially when I first switched from working full-time to part-time, the change which had a far bigger impact on my everyday life than going from part-time to full retirement 7 years later.

"Retirement doesn't guarantee happiness."

I have heard this a lot and for me I disagree. Simply losing the my long, tiring, and despised commute greatly, and I meant greatly (and immediately), made my life so much better because I eliminated the one thing which annoyed me all the time. That made me happy.

Within two month after retirement I had several friends tell me that I looked so much better.

No stress, no 10-12 hour days.

My spouse did not really believe that I could walk away from it. But I did. Left it all behind and moved forward with our lives.

No issue about decompressing. We were too busy preparing our house to sell, disposing of rooms of furniture, packing up, and then planning seven months of travel. I believe this served to draw a line under my former working life.

Last edited:
1 – Having to think about money sucks
Agreed with a lot of the points in this section.
I'm only 6 months in and am still struggling to get comfortable with the transition from accumulation to withdrawal (and retirement spending).
I try to have much of my finances on auto-pilot too but there is some work around the rules and tax-efficiency of my different accounts.

2 – It takes years to decompress from a high intensity career
It took me somewhere between 3-6 months to lose the Sunday dreads, constantly stressing over phantom work issues, etc. However, I still feel a need to be active/working on something.

3 – Retirement doesn’t guarantee happiness
While I agree with this, retirement removed the single largest stressor in my life so it was a big win. But there are obviously so many other things in life that impact happiness like relationships, health, etc. Things need to be in balance.

4 – Work friends are friends at work
I didn't let work friends cross into my non-work life (much). And as such, I haven't really been in contact with many since I left.

5 – It is impossible to be bored
For me, I'm not constantly active/busy but I haven't been bored yet. Way too many things I want to do. I thought I'd be working through my Netflix list and I've barely touched it. Work used to drain me that I just wanted to decompress and zone out but now I want to do everything.

6 – Having an extra 40-60 hours per week is wonderful in every way.
Perhaps an extension of #3… but wow, where does the time go?!

Filling 8-12 hours a weekday so far has been no problem. I find it pretty easy to find a couple of 1-2 hour activities: Exercise, walks, chores/errands, home projects, etc

7 – The Retirement schedule is the best schedule
I'm still trying to make the most of this. Yeah, going to Costco before it officially opens on a weekday? Marvelous. Staying out late on a school night? Love it.
However, the biggest issue I'm finding is that having retired early, I don't have enough friends & family that have the same schedule flexibility so a lot of weekday stuff is solo.

8 – Plans Change
I appreciate the concept of having a roapmap but needing to be able to make course corrections along the way.

9 – There is no right choice and there are no special prizes
I often find a lot of debates, comparisons, and critiques don't really factor in personal values and personal circumstance which is different for everyone.
And my own observation is that beyond a polite "that's interesting" no one really cares if you retired earlier or whatever unless there's impact to their own lives. Generally speaking. :LOL:

Re decompressing.

I don't remember having to decompress after stopping work.

While working I found that the first week of two in Saint Martin was decompression.

After working a particularly high intensity software consulting contract. 9 am to 9 pm weekdays, sleeping in cheap hotel, 2 hour drive up and back weekly plus Wednesday night back and forth to feed the cats. When I got out of that, I literally slept all day on my couch for a month. I am not exagerating.

Within two month after retirement I had several friends tell me that I looked so much better.

I had the same thing happen to me. Interesting, because I didn't really think my job was all that stressful. I guess you don't even realize what it's doing to you. I certainly didn't think it was something that could be noticed by looking at me.

Never truly bored and not in contact with any former work friends. Had a major stressful job and never think about it.

Three years to stop thinking about work? More like three months for me.
I don't remember anymore but it certainly wasn't 3 years or even 3 months... Probably somewhere between 3 days and 3 weeks for me...

Only thing I know for sure about retiring from work, I've never regretted it nor have I missed it.. (I was ready)

Last edited:
I do think about money but I don't worry about money. I am always trying to optimize our expenses and investments but for me that is a fun hobby, not a worry or a chore.

I am also rarely bored. Maybe I am just easily amused. We plan a few events each week, like hikes, concerts, lectures, and plays, so there is always fun stuff to look forward to. Add in visiting with our kids and friends, yard and housework, a few hobbies, and our weeks fill up. We usually have memberships in a few activity or senior clubs so if we ever got bored we would just start going to more of those activities.

I know this comment might be all “Retirement Police”, which is distasteful and which I’ve pushed back on before in the Forum, but I think this blog author ought to say he’s “semi-retired” or that he changed careers or works part time, etc. That blog generates a significant share of the family’s income In 2020, it was$35,000 toward adjusted gross income of $102,000 https://www.gocurrycracker.com/go-curry-cracker-2020-taxes/ ) and he works hard at it, posting 2-4 times per month, unlike a lot of the FIRE bloggers who essentially stop posting after 3 years or so.

I’ve read this one off and on for years and he’s brilliant, especially at eliminating taxes, so I do respect him. He provides quality content. I just think it’s slightly misleading to write about being “early retired” for ten years when he actually has a thriving “education business about early retirement.”

There are infinite creative ways to build a post-9-5 career, to be sure. I have ended up with significant, for me, consulting income and DW has a part time job. I’m not criticizing anyone’s choices, just the marketing of this blog.

What I can tell you is, I had different mindsets when I was full-bore career vs. during the year I took off at 54 vs. the 1-2 days/week I consult now. These things are not the same. Similarly, I suspect the author might have different insights, too, if he’d been living on 100% dividends, for example, for 10 years.

Last edited:
I know this comment might be all “Retirement Police”, which is distasteful and which I’ve pushed back on before in the Forum, but I think this blog author ought to say he’s “semi-retired” or that he changed careers or works part time, etc. That blog generates a significant share of the family’s income In 2020, it was$35,000 toward adjusted gross income of $102,000 https://www.gocurrycracker.com/go-curry-cracker-2020-taxes/ ) and he works hard at it, posting 2-4 times per month, unlike a lot of the FIRE bloggers who essentially stop posting after 3 years or so.

I’ve read this one off and on for years and he’s brilliant, especially at eliminating taxes, so I do respect him. He provides quality content. I just think it’s slightly misleading to write about being “early retired” for ten years when he actually has a thriving “education business about early retirement.”

There are infinite creative ways to build a post-9-5 career, to be sure. I have ended up with significant, for me, consulting income and DW has a part time job. I’m not criticizing anyone’s choices, just the marketing of this blog.

What I can tell you is, I had different mindsets when I was full-bore career vs. during the year I took off at 54 vs. the 1-2 days/week I consult now. These things are not the same. Similarly, I suspect the author might have different insights, too, if he’d been living on 100% dividends, for example, for 10 years.

All good points. I think I used to be somewhat guilty of being a member of the "retirement police" as well, but have come to the realization that retirement is a very personal thing and is different for everyone. But yes, to hold yourself out as TRULY retired (and make decent money doing it) is somewhat disingenuous.

And I couldn't agree more that the difference in TRULY passive income and DOING something for income can be quite significant. I did a little side w*rk during the height of the COVID lockdowns and it was quite smothering...even just doing it for a little while. I could see that a blog could be similar in that it would take too much effort (for me).

Then again, there are some "retired" expats that make a good amount of money producing/publishing Youtube videos...even when they technically aren't expats anymore. :blush:

Three weeks in, and I am still in the worry about money phase. Hopefully that will pass in a year or two. I've spent so much time accumulating $, it will be difficult to be on the spend side, however, a retiree friend of mine said something that made a lot of sense: it's a lot easier to be frugal when you have a lot of time on your hands. I see the point exactly now: I'm much more apt to fix something myself rather than hire it out, I can seek out good deals, and generally am more planful about my spending.

$35k/year ain't a lot...I'd consider it more of a hobby, especially for someone only posting a couple of times a month.

Heck, I know someone who earns at least that much from buying stuff from yard sales & re-selling online.

He says he wants to give it up but the money's too good for as little time as he puts into it. :)

I don't expect my spouse to quit their teaching job anytime soon, either, but that doesn't mean I'm not retired.

Last edited:
I'll be there in a year and a half. So far so good. No boredom, no worry about purpose, no worry about what I'm going to do today. I'll do whatever I want - :)

Happiness? That's your job I guess. Me, I'm always happy unless I have to bury my wife or my mother or my father or kill my dog. Yeah, that really sucks.

Way more than a root canal.

So, retirement rocks! If you have a problem with it you can always go back to work. All the storefronts have help wanted signs out.

... however, a retiree friend of mine said something that made a lot of sense: it's a lot easier to be frugal when you have a lot of time on your hands. I see the point exactly now: I'm much more apt to fix something myself rather than hire it out, I can seek out good deals, and generally am more planful about my spending.

That has been very true for us. Retirement life has been much cheaper than we thought it would be. We initially planned to downsize and maybe move some place cheaper, but instead we stayed in the same house and our expenses are still much lower than expected, especially on the entertainment front. There are a lot of deals for seniors, vets and last minute ticket offers in our area we never knew about before, plus community supported and college events.

I know this comment might be all “Retirement Police”, which is distasteful and which I’ve pushed back on before in the Forum, but I think this blog author ought to say he’s “semi-retired” or that he changed careers or works part time, etc. That blog generates a significant share of the family’s income In 2020, it was$35,000 toward adjusted gross income of $102,000 https://www.gocurrycracker.com/go-curry-cracker-2020-taxes/ ) and he works hard at it, posting 2-4 times per month, unlike a lot of the FIRE bloggers who essentially stop posting after 3 years or so...

Posting 2-4 times per month? I think this guy spends much less time writing his posts than I do selling covered call options. I spend more than 2-3 hours/day when the market goes banana, like today, but of course I make more than $35k/year.

I guess I am not retired anymore with active investing. But I make more money than when I worked a regular job,, and with less time and pressure, so I don't care what anyone calls it. I just call it "having fun making money". :)

PS. Heck, I just realized that this guy spends less, much less time, maintaining his blog than I spend posting here!

Last edited:
I’m approaching my ten year retirement anniversary, which will be March 29 next year. I was decompressed as I walked out the door after turning in my laptop and badge. Decompressing began three months earlier when I gave my notice.

I never get bored. Never have. I just don’t feel like I have to be doing something all the time. My mind finds ways to keep occupied or I daydream about something.

My main concern since retirement has been my health, having had chronic pain issues since 2006, plus finding I have arteriosclerosis and now something wrong in my GI tract. The first few years of retirement I wasn’t very limited in activity, but the past couple of years it’s taken it’s toll. Life is slowing down.

The greatest adventure of retirement has been three grandkids! What a blessing they are! They live close by, so we see them regularly and they tire us out.

Money has not been a worry for us and it has allowed us to help the kids and other family when needed. I used to be more active with our investments, but this year have moved most of our funds into simpler index ETFs so I don’t have to pay as much attention to them. We still have individual stocks in our taxable brokerage, but they’re core holding type companies.

Retirement has not given me any regrets. Just enjoying life until the next chapter comes along.

I know this comment might be all “Retirement Police”, which is distasteful and which I’ve pushed back on before in the Forum, but I think this blog author ought to say he’s “semi-retired” or that he changed careers or works part time, etc.

I've come across their blog a few times but don't read it regularly.

I think my view has evolved in that I'm trying not to focus on the way people term themselves as retired, semi-retired, or FIRE'd, or whatever. What's more of interest to me is what tools, techniques, and methods they are using to achieve their goals and lifestyle and whether it might be worth it for me to maybe borrow and apply some of the concepts. Also key is that they be honest and somewhat transparent with no hidden agenda.

The arguments about whether you are retired if you are generating side income is such a slippery slope. I occasionally do these 5 minute surveys that generate 50 cents or 25 frequent flyer points. Does that mean I'm not retired? When I put effort into activities that reduce my spend, does that count? It goes back to my point of beyond a polite "that's interesting" no one really cares if you retired earlier or whatever unless there's impact to their own lives. "Oh, you're semi-retired while generating $35k a year writing 2-4 blog posts a month? That's nice." :LOL:

Nice blog - thanks for posting. I was decompressed before I retired. And I honed my retirement pastimes before I fully retired. I have never been bored in 8.5 years of retirement.

But I may have taken on too many retirement activities lately. I don't have time to do everything that I want to. Perhaps I need to heed #10 in the blog. Just let it go.

Back
Top Bottom