2023 Investment Performance Thread

Lazy Portfolios - A lazy portfolio is a set-and-forget collection of investments that require little or no maintenance. Most portfolios consist of a small number of low-cost funds that are easy to implement and rebalance. Lazy portfolios are designed to perform well in most market conditions, making them the perfect choice for long-term investors. Here you can find a list of the most popular lazy portfolios implemented with ETFs.
https://portfolioslab.com/lazy-portfolios

I'll have to go through the list to find what is the best fit for our state of investing.

+8.14%YTD nominal. While we hold 80/20, it includes international, small and small value that have all been laggards.

The only thing that matters is in real terms and inflation has been 3.6% already this year, so we're only up 4.3% real.

Still down 10.9% since the peak of Nov 2021 nominal and with 12% inflation since, in real terms we are still down 20.5% (meaning we need a recovery of 26% real just to get back to that peak.) That feels like a long ways off.

September was a tough month.

-3.93 MTD for September

+9.78 YTD

Still AA of 73/17

Dropped to 14.05% for the big account and 148% on my small trading account. It's finally gone positive since 2021.

Performance is just under 5% for the year. I use a 50/50 benchmark - RLBGX, but our AA is moving north, by choice. At this juncture it is 54/46. Half of the fixed income is Schwab money fund at this time.

Using free PortfoliosLab for the graphic.

4.88% performance for us YTD.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 48
A September to Remember. Down 4.39%. for the month as we roll into the fourth quarter.

+10.59 YTD AA 85/15

Jan '23: +9.5% lol. I'll take it. Don't expect it to stick around though.
Feb '23: +7%.
Mar '23: +13% 99% Stocks, dividends included
Ooops, I realize I missed April, and May
Jun '23 +24.7%
Jul '23 +29% Losing to Nasdaq but on par with my A/A since I have about 42% of the portfolio in Small/Mid cap and the rest Mega. I should really stop farting around and just go all MegaCap MGK
Aug '23 +26%. Went backwards a tad.
Sep '23 +18.5%. Went backwards even more... whee!

Jan '23: +9.5% lol. I'll take it. Don't expect it to stick around though.
Feb '23: +7%.
Mar '23: +13% 99% Stocks, dividends included
Ooops, I realize I missed April, and May
Jun '23 +24.7%
Jul '23 +29% Losing to Nasdaq but on par with my A/A since I have about 42% of the portfolio in Small/Mid cap and the rest Mega. I should really stop farting around and just go all MegaCap MGK
Aug '23 +26%. Went backwards a tad.
Sep '23 +18.5%. Went backwards even more... whee!

How are you up so much with over 40% in small and mid cap?

How are you up so much with over 40% in small and mid cap?

Fair question. AAPL + MGK (Mega) + VIGAX = 38% of our 40% LARGE CAP positions.

AAPL YTD = 38%
MGK YTD = 33%
VIGAX YTD = 27%

AND... this is important to note... AAPL is almost 17% of our entire folio. I will bump my position back up to 20% AAPL when the bottom hits...if I can find that lol. I need to set a strike price to figure it out since I have some cash on the sidelines.

Edit to add, we do DCA into our MidCap throughout the year, but I have only bought into MidCaps so far this year...not the brightest strategy, but I couldn't think of anything better with the way stuff was going so I split the difference. Next year, and subsequent years we will DCA into mostly Large and Mid while slowly re-allocating SmallCaps away to nothing as we approach our FIRE date.

I do not hold any bonds.

Last edited:
Fair question. AAPL + MGK (Mega) + VIGAX = 38% of our 40% LARGE CAP positions.

AAPL YTD = 38%
MGK YTD = 33%
VIGAX YTD = 27%

AND... this is important to note... AAPL is almost 17% of our entire folio. I will bump my position back up to 20% AAPL when the bottom hits...if I can find that lol. I need to set a strike price to figure it out since I have some cash on the sidelines.

Edit to add, we do DCA into our MidCap throughout the year, but I have only bought into MidCaps so far this year...not the brightest strategy, but I couldn't think of anything better with the way stuff was going so I split the difference. Next year, and subsequent years we will DCA into mostly Large and Mid while slowly re-allocating SmallCaps away to nothing as we approach our FIRE date.

I do not hold any bonds.

Ahhh. Makes sense. Apple. Good for you. I’m strictly ETFs and my small cap exposure of IWM and my thankfully very small exposure to international has watered down my returns.

Last edited:
I'm glad this thread exists, I don't think there is anyone in my life to talk to about my investments performances.

I've felt really unsuccessful with my attempt in the past two years to manage my portfolio myself, each time I made changes to my positions the balances dropped. Earlier in the week I was thinking maybe I need to use a financial advisor to manage things.

But then today I spent hours calculating comparisons (share price, dividends received, etc) between the current holdings and the balances I would have had if I stayed with the prior holdings, and I'm proud to share that I am approx $1300 LESS BAD OFF than I would have been. yay me! It's not much but I feel encouraged to keep learning and trying, and not give up and pay a financial advisor.

I'm glad this thread exists, I don't think there is anyone in my life to talk to about my investments performances.

I've felt really unsuccessful with my attempt in the past two years to manage my portfolio myself, each time I made changes to my positions the balances dropped. Earlier in the week I was thinking maybe I need to use a financial advisor to manage things.

But then today I spent hours calculating comparisons (share price, dividends received, etc) between the current holdings and the balances I would have had if I stayed with the prior holdings, and I'm proud to share that I am approx $1300 LESS BAD OFF than I would have been. yay me! It's not much but I feel encouraged to keep learning and trying, and not give up and pay a financial advisor.

For long term investing… you can’t beat low cost index funds (VOO, VTI, etc)… set it and forget it just as Jack Bogle, Warren Buffett, and others have recommended.

Low cost index funds, yes. But Vanguard's service is as wonderful as vomit, many have volunteered to say. More lately, than in the past.

I held some ETFs for a short time. I just do not like the way they behave. I dumped them and reinvested the $$$.

I don't believe rates will come down until into 2025. I'm 34% in bonds. Most of it is junk. I don't need the dividends yet. Just keep reinvesting those. Two junk funds. Yield on one of them tonight is 7%. On the other, 7.57%.
Weighted average YTD junk performance = +6.17%, but down from just two weeks ago.

Yes, a stinky poopy month of Sept. Today was certainly different! (06 Oct, 2023.)
Total portfolio is down from all-time high at the start of 2022 by -7.9%. But I've made changes, and have been adding money, too.

When rates come down, Mr. Market will be pleased. How 'bout that crazy-big jump in hirings, published today?? Not a recession in sight! Most of the hiring was in lower wage jobs. Maybe The Fed will like THAT aspect.

Best performer is ET. I have not added to it in a while. Just let it run.
Also expecting good things from TS. Still a young, tiny position for me.
Among the funds: PRWCX. (But it's closed to new investors. You can "buy" the same fund manager--- without the bonds--- in TCAF.)

Low cost index funds, yes. But Vanguard's service is as wonderful as vomit, many have volunteered to say. More lately, than in the past.

The good news is that you don't need an account at VG to own their ETFs

For some reason, this thread slipped my mind this time around. Probably because September wasn't so hot. Anyway, here's my latest...

1/31/2023: +7.08% YTD.
2/28/2023: +4.22% YTD.
3/31/2023: +7.18% YTD.
4/28/2023: +8.40% YTD.
5/31/2023: +8.96% YTD.
6/30/2023: +14.51% YTD.
7/31/2023: +17.96% YTD.
8/31/2023: +16.04% YTD.
9/29/2023: +11.04% YTD.

Eh, still up fairly good for the year though, so I'll try to stay optimistic about it. :p

Andre1969, after calculating on Oct 1, I was sitting on the fence, and thinking of exiting the thread. But then I looked at longer performance, and here I am!

You can always start a thread, and just discuss the holdings and percentages held.

I am LESS BAD OFF too!

Andre1969, after calculating on Oct 1, I was sitting on the fence, and thinking of exiting the thread. But then I looked at longer performance, and here I am!

Yeah, it's tempting to not fess up to the results on a bad month, but I figure I'm in it for the long haul. And for posterity, if anyone looks back on these threads, it can give them some insight into just how much the market can fluctuate.

As recently as 7/31, my invested assets were actually at an all-time high. Although, if you factor in additional investments and inflation, I was still down a pretty good bit compared to the previous high at the end of 2021.*

I did have a (barely) six-digit loss in September, and it was my worst dollar loss since December 2022. But, I've had much worse months, so I try stay optimistic.

If it's any consolation, the last two years have been rough. Especially 2022. Personally, I lost about 20% in 2022. In 2023, I peaked in July, up almost 18%, but as of the end of September I'm only up around 11%.

And, as we all know, if you lose, say, 20%, but then have a gain of 20%, you're not made whole again. You actually need a gain of 25%, to make back that 20% loss.

Same experience the last couple of years, even with Vanguard Advisors at the tiller, so don’t feel so bad. Remember, whatever this confusing and unprecedented market period is, this too shall pass. Investment classes will each cycle.

Not recommending it but I had some extra cash to do something interesting TBD with. After a lot of study, I took a 5% position in a risk asset, call it a tech investment. I hope the extra risk yields a few points extra return over the next several years and beyond to drag my balanced index fund portfolio out of the doldrums. Now I’m 50/45/5. Time will tell.

Last edited:
3.91% YTD IRR. 100% fixed income but some high yielding I-Bonds and preferred stock mixed in.

That would be equivalent to a 37/63 mix of VTI and BND YTD, so I'm happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom