2023 Investment Performance Thread

2023 to date = +24.09%

2022 to date = -0.78%

Almost breaking even, maybe a little better since I have not updated expenses into the return calculation.

This is as close of market 12/1/2023 since I only do it on weekends.

+6% on 35/65. Still not back to the Jan. 2022 high.

I did break the January 2022 high back in July. But it took the proceeds from a house sale to do it. And I'm well above it now, but that's thanks to an inheritance from my uncle. So to me, it doesn't really count.

However, I just did a quick calculation, and taking the additional investments into account, it looks like I'm only down about 6% from that January 2022 high. So not too bad, I guess. Of course, there's also that pesky inflation to consider.

Up 16.65% YTD on ~83/17. It's a high for me.

As of 1-Dec-23 for our Total Portfolio, we are + 10.93% from 1-Jan-23.

Current Asset Allocation is approximately 51.5% Equities, 27.2% Bonds, 21.3% Cash.

23.5% YTD, AA of 82/16/2 (Stocks/Bonds/Cash). Investment portfolio is still about 12% down from Jan 2022 high.
AAPL comprises a large percentage of my portfolio and is the main reason for bringing my performance up in the last couple months. I've held it since 2013. (I essentially haven't rebalanced in the last 7 or 8 years.) Just bought some MSFT on Friday as a (very) long bet on their A.I. involvement. I use the B*gleheads Portfolio Performance spreadsheet.

Last edited:
23.5% YTD, AA of 82/16/2 (Stocks/Bonds/Cash). Investment portfolio is still about 12% down from Jan 2022 high.
AAPL comprises a large percentage of my portfolio and is the main reason for bringing my performance up in the last couple months. I've held it since 2013. (I essentially haven't rebalanced in the last 7 or 8 years.) Just bought some MSFT on Friday as a (very) long bet on their A.I. involvement. I use the B*gleheads Portfolio Performance spreadsheet.

I just looked what I am down from the high as of Jan 1st, 2022. I only document the first of each month not daily or so I don't always catch the high or the low.

So, from Jan. 1st, 2022 is my high and I'm only down 3.99% to yesterday the first of Dec...

End of '21 and early in 2022 was where my stuff sat highest. After this past November and 1st of December, I'm just 3% below that. But I've been adding, so it's pretty impossible to get a clean number in terms of performance. I've got some damn good dividend payers, including a couple of junk bond funds. Don't want to pay taxes to ANY gov't that can be avoided, so I'll soon cash out NHYDY and roll it into TS. Because NHYDY is withholding 25% of the dividends for taxes to the glorious, splendid gov't of Norway. TS, out of Luxembourg, does not do that.

Last edited:
I did break the January 2022 high back in July. But it took the proceeds from a house sale to do it.

Same with my dad, he is back to his highs, but it did take the sale of an investment property and then putting the proceeds into the market on a dip...by chance. SO timing helped a little for him.

I am still about ~5-6% off of our highs...but our NW is at an all time high since we are still accumulating ;) One of the "benefits" of still working during a downturn...lol

FWIW, I enjoy this thread. I'm somewhere in the middle of everyone's results which is comforting that I'm not completely out in left field.

Portfolio is up $571,964 YTD including $134,872 of contributions. Better than last year where I ended up $315,911 but made $732,489 of contributions. :)

Plus 19% ytd, super happy, especially since I fired my FA last January after such a terrible 2022. Still 3% below all time high.

It's fun sometimes to compare notes like this, but I can't be terribly accurate because I don't keep a transaction portfolio at all. I can tell you that I'm still off my high-point at the start of 2022 by -6.2% tonight.

Taxable is still much smaller than the amount in retirement.
But here ya go. Total unrealized gains and losses:
BHB -3.01% regional bank.
ET +18.07. (But not precise. I just bought some shares today.) oil/gas midstream.
NHYDY -11.04 aluminum, clean energy.
PSTL -10.73. REIT.
TS +11.8 (if only it wasn't so small of a position!). oil/gas tubular goods.

.....And on 07 Dec, '23, I'm within THREE percent of the all-time high at the start of '22. I'm liking THAT.

As for the 2021/2022 peak, we're about 5% under that with 55% stocks. We've upped our spending too, and enjoying the fruits of all that saving and market action.

Back
Top Bottom