23 and me test

LiveBelowMeans

Recycles dryer sheets
Just saw that amazon prime day has the health and ancestry test for $99 today. Highly recommend taking the test. I paid $179 recently. I found out alot of interesting info from mine, JMHO

Just saw that amazon prime day has the health and ancestry test for $99 today. Highly recommend taking the test. I paid $179 recently. I found out alot of interesting info from mine, JMHO

Interesting how? Anything actionable or just "gee-whiz, isn't that interesting"?

It's often $99. I got mine for that, and I bought kits for my dad and sisters at $99 a few years ago.

IMHO, it's "gee-whiz" stuff. I did mine in the days before our illustrious rule makers decided to force the company to block health information. But in more recent times, I think everyone has the ability to see what they're at higher risk for. I guess it's possible for the stuff to be actionable, though. If you're 40% higher risk of disease X, and there's a quality study that shows taking a vitamin or eating certain things makes a difference, then you might integrate that into your lifestyle.

I connected with a relative that I didn't know before as a result of 23 & me's relatives feature. We were able to confirm some stories passed down from our families. The countries where my ancestors came from was much more varied than I had realized and created many discussions within our immediate family. The results also got me interested in my family tree and I have been diving into that as well. The health information was encouraging without issue. I also like participating in the ongoing research as they try to use the data to learn relationships between your dna and diseases etc. Worth the money JMHO

In case the cost is an issue, you can get a free DNA test here, by filling out surveys, which apparently take an hour or two. I haven't participated, but I'm intrigued, since I believe our overall medical understanding could be significantly improved, by gathering and analyzing DNA and disease risk statistically, when combined with other factors (environment, diet, etc, etc). But enough samples are needed to do this, since there are so many variables. The downside risk of sharing this is you are providing access to very personal information.

If you go ahead with it, most services let you download the data and you can have it analyzed at other places.

For example, for $5, Promethease will generate a pretty extensive report based on current research.

I did this with the data from Ancestry.com ($99) and it was fascinating, albeit fairly technical.

Once you accept your pedigree is "mutt" (something I accepted long ago despite my illustrious Investment Banking career) and you've made peace with the notion you're going to die (eventually, of something) to my mind these tests are of minor value to me. Indeed, most likely more a source of angst than enlightenment.

I can certainly see, however, the valuable aggregate data gleaned for Society.

I can also appreciate how my viewpoint is most likely in the minority. But why should this subject be any different from any number of other topics where that is the case... :)

Last edited:
Interesting stuff on ancestry. After being told by her mom that her background was partly English, she learned it was really Swiss-French. The supposed "indian princess" in the family tree often spoken of was is fact a fiction. ;-)
On the health side, confirmation of my DM's macular degeneration is genetic based and I have an above average risk which supports having regular exams to monitor. We feel we got our money's worth.

I found three second cousins and one first cousin through 23andme, all previously unknown. I call that pretty cool and well worth the cost.

There are also a bunch in the "second to third" or "second to fourth" degree of relation, a couple of whom I've contacted.

Besides the curiosity factor, it has been interesting learning new tidbits of family history from some of these folks. I've also been able to give them some information they didn't have, so it's useful both ways.

Guess I'm not curious. As far as health issues, wouldn't you already know that heart disease, diabetes, breast cancer, retinitis pigmentosa, etc. run in your family. There's a commercial on tv and some woman is saying that she's 1/10 American Indian. They have her surrounded by Indian artifacts and she's thrilled about this.....why:confused:

Once you accept your pedigree is "mutt" (something I accepted long ago despite my illustrious Investment Banking career) and you've made piece with the notion you're going to die (eventually, of something) to my mind these tests are of minor value to me. Indeed, most likely more a source of angst than enlightenment.

I can certainly see, however, the valuable aggregate data gleaned for Society.

I can also appreciate how my viewpoint is most likely in the minority. But why should this subject be any different from any number of other topics where that is the case... :)

My view as well. Some of the health stuff might be useful though. Ie if I found out I have a high probability of Alzheimer's, I might do things differently. The type of ear wax I have is of no interest. I have absolutely no interest in my ancestry. As you say, it will be "diverse".

There's a commercial on tv and some woman is saying that she's 1/10 American Indian. They have her surrounded by Indian artifacts and she's thrilled about this.....why:confused:

She's thrilled because she's being paid to be in a commercial.

Some people are interested in their genetic heritage. We just did our tests, I sent a short summary to DW's siblings and they're very excited. Her family doesn't have much knowledge of their ancestry and this sheds some light where there was none 'til now.

She's thrilled because she's being paid to be in a commercial.
hahahaha, I bet she wont be smiling if and when "they" come knocking on her door, looked for her cousin who left some DNA at a crime scene, who isnt a suspect , but just a person of interest we would like to speak to.hahahah

Some people are interested in their genetic heritage. We just did our tests, I sent a short summary to DW's siblings and they're very excited. Her family doesn't have much knowledge of their ancestry and this sheds some light where there was none 'til now.

Yes, I agree. Many of my family are very interested. Just not this guy.

If you go ahead with it, most services let you download the data and you can have it analyzed at other places.

For example, for $5, Promethease will generate a pretty extensive report based on current research.

I did this with the data from Ancestry.com ($99) and it was fascinating, albeit fairly technical.
That is what we both did.
There is another thread, about ancestry.com, which also has useful information.

In case the cost is an issue, you can get a free DNA test here, by filling out surveys, which apparently take an hour or two. I haven't participated, but I'm intrigued, since I believe our overall medical understanding could be significantly improved, by gathering and analyzing DNA and disease risk statistically, when combined with other factors (environment, diet, etc, etc). But enough samples are needed to do this, since there are so many variables. The downside risk of sharing this is you are providing access to very personal information.

I looked into this after your post and I think I will participate. Some of the health surveys are a little hokey, but I think some useful information will be produced. The DNA information will be interesting.

Thanks for the heads on on the Amazon Prime offer. I didn't see it during the day, but it was back last night, so I bought two - one for each daughter. :)

I did 23andme a long time ago, before FDA shut them down a while. I'm adopted and had no family health information, so I found the results good in knowing what to screen for medically in the future. The descriptive data they gave me matched me. I do get some contacts from distant relative matches, but nothing close - I have more Neanderthal DNA than what these relatives match up to :D.

I see some mention of health related info, can someone elaborate (specifically to the Ancestry.com test)?

Disregard...I located the information... :)

Last edited:
Once you accept your pedigree is "mutt" (something I accepted long ago despite my illustrious Investment Banking career) and you've made peace with the notion you're going to die (eventually, of something) to my mind these tests are of minor value to me. Indeed, most likely more a source of angst than enlightenment.

I think it is fine to say they are of minor value to you. But, for some of us they are quite valuable. I have tested at both Ancestry and 23andme.

The testing was invaluable to me as it enabled me to identify my deceased birthfather. I am an adoptee. I started searching for my birthmother in the 1970s. It took a long time to find her but I eventually found her about 20 years ago.

But, I couldn't find my birthfather. She had some information about him, but I couldn't find him despite checking various databases and online sources. I had accepted that I would never find him and recognized at some point that he was likely deceased (she is alive but in her late 80s now).

But, then I found out DNA testing was being used to help find birthfamily. I got my DNA information on Ancestry and started looking at my matches and who they were related to. I quickly found a number of matches on Ancestry all descended from a particular couple. I started searching trees of all of their descendants. It took me not very long at all to find my birthfather. Unfortunately, he died a number of years ago but it was very meaningful to me to find this information.

So, for me this completed a search that I started over 40 years ago.

I think it is fine to say they are of minor value to you. But, for some of us they are quite valuable. I have tested at both Ancestry and 23andme.

The testing was invaluable to me as it enabled me to identify my deceased birthfather. I am an adoptee. I started searching for my birthmother in the 1970s. It took a long time to find her but I eventually found her about 20 years ago.

But, I couldn't find my birthfather. She had some information about him, but I couldn't find him despite checking various databases and online sources. I had accepted that I would never find him and recognized at some point that he was likely deceased (she is alive but in her late 80s now).

But, then I found out DNA testing was being used to help find birthfamily. I got my DNA information on Ancestry and started looking at my matches and who they were related to. I quickly found a number of matches on Ancestry all descended from a particular couple. I started searching trees of all of their descendants. It took me not very long at all to find my birthfather. Unfortunately, he died a number of years ago but it was very meaningful to me to find this information.

So, for me this completed a search that I started over 40 years ago.

I did acknowledge others would/could clearly feel the opposite.

Interestingly, you chose to end my quote before that... [emoji848]

I have never done the 23 and me test. Does it give exact countries for matches or just general areas of the World? It might be interesting to compare what I think I know about my ancestry on both sides and see if 23 and me confirms that or makes me rethink everything again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom