2nd Molar Implant Update & Status

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In July 2021, I was told I had too much bone loss in my Upper Right 2nd from the back Molar and needed a bridge or an implant. A bridge was definitely out, I would rather have a gap than a bridge. My choice, please do not try to convince me the benefits of a bridge, as I will never get one.

OK., so I had the tooth pulled and a bone graft in November 2021, 4 months later in February 2022 I had the implant (Part 1, The Post) installed. 3 Months later I went back, and the Doc. said it had not "taken/bonded" and that we needed to leave it longer and if in another 3 months it was not good, he would remove it and try again.

Now a little background, those upper second molars are in the lowest part of the jawbone, in my case there was only 11mm of bone beneath my right sinus. The bare minimum is 10mm for an implant. Doc. waffled about a Sinus lift that was never going to happen as I have had trouble with sinus pain and drainage ever since I was a kid.

So, in the meantime I was getting used to the missing molar and had almost forgotten about it. I decided to wait a bit longer than 4 months, dreading that it would not take. Finally, after a recent cleaning the Doc. said I should have it looked at, it had been almost a year since I went back.

The GREAT news is that last week, he told me that it was set good and hard and we could move to the next step. This made my day.

I am now scheduled to go back in a couple of week to continue the process.

The Abutment is next.

The moral here is implants take time, Not 1 week as seen on misleading TV ads. If I get another I will wait a year again before going back.

Last edited:
I had an implant in the same place. I had some issues, but now, 15 years later, all is good. Just had a second implant on lower left side. All went well.

In July 2021, I was told I had too much bone loss in my Upper Right 2nd from the back Molar and needed a bridge or an implant. A bridge was definitely out, I would rather have a gap than a bridge. My choice, please do not try to convince me the benefits of a bridge, as I will never get one.

OK., so I had the tooth pulled and a bone graft in November 2021, 4 months later in February 2022 I had the implant (Part 1, The Post) installed. 3 Months later I went back, and the Doc. said it had not "taken/bonded" and that we needed to leave it longer and if in another 3 months it was not good, he would remove it and try again.

Now a little background, those upper second molars are in the lowest part of the jawbone, in my case there was only 11mm of bone beneath my right sinus. The bare minimum is 10mm for an implant. Doc. waffled about a Sinus lift that was never going to happen as I have had trouble with sinus pain and drainage ever since I was a kid.

So, in the meantime I was getting used to the missing molar and had almost forgotten about it. I decided to wait a bit longer than 4 months, dreading that it would not take. Finally, after a recent cleaning the Doc. said I should have it looked at, it had been almost a year since I went back.

The GREAT news is that last week, he told me that it was set good and hard and we could move to the next step. This made my day.

I am now scheduled to go back in a couple of week to continue the process.

The Abutment is next.

The moral here is implants take time, Not 1 week as seen on misleading TV ads. If I get another I will wait a year again before going back.

None of my business but why no bridge? I have two and they have worked reasonably well for me (had to replace one after 20 some years.)

Also curious, if you're willing to share, what is the difference in price for your implant (with all the grafting, etc.) compared to a bridge?

None of my business but why no bridge? I have two and they have worked reasonably well for me (had to replace one after 20 some years.)

Also curious, if you're willing to share, what is the difference in price for your implant (with all the grafting, etc.) compared to a bridge?

My choice, they have to grind down 2 perfectly good teeth to place one in. The one in front and behind the offending tooth. I am not up for that.

My choice, they have to grind down 2 perfectly good teeth to place one in. The one in front and behind the offending tooth. I am not up for that.

Yeah, I get that and agree it wasn't fun. But bone grafting scares the puddin' out of me. Sounds worse than grinding good teeth which I've had done for 2 bridges. I understand not wanting to grind down "good" teeth, but I've had no problems with mine in 25 years now. Not trying to talk you into anything as you've explained your reservations well. Just "yikes" about bone grafting. But, YMMV.

Thanks for the reply. Aloha

Yeah, I get that and agree it wasn't fun. But bone grafting scares the puddin' out of me. Sounds worse than grinding good teeth which I've had done for 2 bridges. I understand not wanting to grind down "good" teeth, but I've had no problems with mine in 25 years now. Not trying to talk you into anything as you've explained your reservations well. Just "yikes" about bone grafting. But, YMMV.

Thanks for the reply. Aloha

Bone grafts are easy (for me anyways) and work. I have had 2, one almost 30 years ago.

1) Grind crappy bone out.
2) Put dead guys ground up bone in its place .... :)
3) Wait a few months
4) Done!

My choice, they have to grind down 2 perfectly good teeth to place one [bridge] in. The one in front and behind the offending tooth. I am not up for that.

Yes, I've made that choice and selected an implant, too. Decay under a tooth supporting a bridge, when it happens, can be hard to detect until it's too late and you end up losing that tooth, too.
Bone grafts are easy (for me anyways) and work. I have had 2, one almost 30 years ago.

3) Wait a few months
4) Done!

Ah, you put it so elegantly.;) My oral surgeon must be more upscale than yours- he refers to it as a "cadaver" bone graft. I have 7 implants (yeah, do the math :rolleyes:) that I've gotten over the last 15 years or so and each has involved a bone graft. Zero issues other than being deferred 6 months by the blood bank every time just in case I got cooties from the bone graft, which seems nearly impossible.

Last edited:
I feel the same about going implant over bridge, even though it might cost more.

But I would caution against waiting longer than suggested for the Part2 replacement if it's a lower tooth - the "partner" upper tooth can suffer with the open space below it, leading to a higher chance of infection or coming a bit loose. No similar worry if your new implant is an upper of course.

3) Wait a few months
4) Done!

Okay! With dead guy's ground up bone, the "ick" factor just went to 11. I guess I assumed they took some of your bone (maybe from pelvis or some such.) I like the idea of NOT needing to cut on you elsewhere to get bone, but from a dead guy? Sorry, I'd have to think on that for a while.

Actually sounds pretty easy - probably easier than a bridge but, still...

Thanks for honest and complete reply - I think.:facepalm:-------:flowers:

Yes, I've made that choice and selected an implant, too. Decay under a tooth supporting a bridge, when it happens, can be hard to detect until it's too late and you end up losing that tooth, too.

Ah, you put it so elegantly.;) My oral surgeon must be more upscale than yours- he refers to it as a "cadaver" bone graft. I have 7 implants (yeah, do the math :rolleyes:) that I've gotten over the last 15 years or so and each has involved a bone graft. Zero issues other than being deferred 6 months by the blood bank every time just in case I got cooties from the bone graft, which seems nearly impossible.

Yeah, I don't know which is worse. Cadaver or dead guy. They should probably come up with something like "calcified grafting mix" and not tell you about the dead guy (or cadaver.) YMMV

I am a retired orthopedic surgeon and used allograft (i.e., donor) tissue and bone many times for various surgeries. The organ donor tissue bank that I used had a program where the recipient patient can write a note to the organ donor's surviving family, thanking them or letting them know how much the donor tissue helped their medical condition. All correspondence was anonymous, set up by the tissue bank.

You all are so lucky. I wish I could get implants, but was told too much bone loss and risk to jaw: grafts weren't advised. :(

Just following this thread because I've completed phase 1 for an implant in tooth #14, 2nd from back upper left side. That tooth has been giving me trouble for 20 plus years, so this is long overdue. Tooth is pulled and sinus lifted a week ago. All told, that surgery was easy (circa 20 minutes long) and a week of some manageable but not pleasant pain has now subsided. I'm a little self conscious but I've been told no one sees the gap unless I smile too widely. Small smiles for me for the next year I guess.

I recently heard a scare story about a guy whose implant fell out about a year after it was successfully completed. I can't imagine this nightmare scenario, especially given the cost of all this.

Just following this thread because I've completed phase 1 for an implant in tooth #14, 2nd from back upper left side. That tooth has been giving me trouble for 20 plus years, so this is long overdue. Tooth is pulled and sinus lifted a week ago. All told, that surgery was easy (circa 20 minutes long) and a week of some manageable but not pleasant pain has now subsided. I'm a little self conscious but I've been told no one sees the gap unless I smile too widely. Small smiles for me for the next year I guess.

I recently heard a scare story about a guy whose implant fell out about a year after it was successfully completed. I can't imagine this nightmare scenario, especially given the cost of all this.

I would worry about breaking them since I would assume they are not as strong as actual teeth. My bridge w*rk got badly chipped before it was replaced after 21 years. I'm just wondering about the longevity of implants. I'm guessing varies from person to person.

I would worry about breaking them since I would assume they are not as strong as actual teeth. My bridge w*rk got badly chipped before it was replaced after 21 years. I'm just wondering about the longevity of implants. I'm guessing varies from person to person.

My first implant was around 2006. All of the 7 I have are back teeth, most of them molars. They're holding up very well and I like crunchy fresh vegetables. Partly luck and good general health, I know, but so far so good.

My first implant was around 2006. All of the 7 I have are back teeth, most of them molars. They're holding up very well and I like crunchy fresh vegetables. Partly luck and good general health, I know, but so far so good.

That sounds fantastic. I'm at the point where I'm replacing 1 or 2 crowns every year and a bridge every 5 years. I'm beginning to wonder if implants might be better. So far, my dentist has not suggested it. Heh, heh, of course, he doesn't DO implants. Hmmmm.

Really dumb question: what set. Of circumstances leads to one needing an implant?

Bone loss? And what causes that.

Curious.

Really dumb question: what set. Of circumstances leads to one needing an implant?

Bone loss? And what causes that.

Not bone loss- that may actually make you a poor candidate for an implant since they need good, solid bone where they can anchor it. All of mine included cadaver bone grafts first.

In my case... mostly that the original tooth couldn't be saved. Decay under a crown that was detected too late, a crack in a root, an abscess in a tooth that had already been root-canalled. If there's decay under a crown sometimes they can remove the crown, grind it down to a fresh surface, repair the decay ad put on a new crown... but it can happen again. I had a bridge put in over the tooth that developed the abscess but years later there was too much decay under one- so I needed two implants, one in the gap and one to replace the decayed tooth. So, sometimes there have been cheaper options like a partial plate or a crown but I just get an implant.

Not bone loss- that may actually make you a poor candidate for an implant since they need good, solid bone where they can anchor it. All of mine included cadaver bone grafts first.

In my case... mostly that the original tooth couldn't be saved. Decay under a crown that was detected too late, a crack in a root, an abscess in a tooth that had already been root-canalled. If there's decay under a crown sometimes they can remove the crown, grind it down to a fresh surface, repair the decay ad put on a new crown... but it can happen again. I had a bridge put in over the tooth that developed the abscess but years later there was too much decay under one- so I needed two implants, one in the gap and one to replace the decayed tooth. So, sometimes there have been cheaper options like a partial plate or a crown but I just get an implant.

a lot of words that make the hair stand up on back of my neck. Thank you that is very helpful.

I guess people are rather satisfied with that solution, though expensive I know.

Definitely hope to avoid.

What set of circumstances lead to an implant? In my case, a tooth that over 20 years had two root canals and an apioectomy (sp?), and nothing more could be done with it to cure pain that kept resurfacing except pulling it. Once pulled, the options are 1) do nothing and have a gap; 2) bridge; 3) implant. My tooth came out in several pieces and confirmed there was a crack in the root it that was the cause of all the issues.

Last edited:
I also was advised I have too much bone loss for implants. Most of the missing teeth are molars, so I guess they cannot do a bridge to nowhere. So I got partial dentures top and bottom. Not great, but the cost was way way less.

Had a couple bone grafts along with work on my gums. It's just some powdery stuff they pack in there. No biggie. I did not become a zombie or vampire. :LOL:

Had a couple bone grafts along with work on my gums. It's just some powdery stuff they pack in there. No biggie. I did not become a zombie or vampire. :LOL:

I know- I've been deferred from donating blood for 6 months after a bone graft. I'm well aware of the source even though my oral surgeon uses the fancy term "cadaver" but with all the processing and sanitizing it goes through I'm not sure why blood banks are worried about transmission of disease through that route.

I'm not remembering this clearly but when I had my tooth out and sinus lift last week I'm pretty sure the oral surgeon said he was using a mixture of human and cow bone. Cow? Can this be right?

As to the ick factor, well I had C-diff at one point many many years ago and had a fecal transplant. I do not now nor did I then even consider the ick factor....it was the last resort and sure cure for a horrible and very scary disease. So huzzah to the poop and bone donors whether human, cow, or alien I say!!

Back
Top Bottom