3 beeps can't find

Did you keep the smoke detector documents? Did you visit their website FAQ’s? Call their “Need Assistance” number. They may have gone through this before.

Called, no help. They said end of life beeps should be 5 beeps. Manufacturing date is 12/22 so not old.

No tankless. No BT headphones.

Last edited:
I had a wall mounted CO detector which began beeping when it was about 10 years old, despite replacing its battery with a fresh one. The fire department said that CO detectors should be replaced when they are 10 years old and the beep sound was designed to remind the owner of that.

I replaced the CO detector with a new one.

I just replaced the all the smoke alarms which were sadly out of date but I am still getting 3 beeps from somewhere in the house.

How else can I find this? There is no CO detector and nothing new in here.

Hmm. I was going to suggest a CO Detector. Alarm system battery low? Can you stand in one spot and gradually move to get closer to the sound? Two people helps with this. It is hard to figure out where the sound is coming from!

We lived in a house for several years and dutifully changed the smoke detector batteries yearly. A few years down the road we heard chirping in finished basement but we had changed the smoke detector battery so it made no sense.

A couple of days later I went into the furnace room to change the filter and realized the chirp was in there. Ends up there was a heat detector we never knew was there, specifically for the furnace. New battery fixed it.

Good luck because we’ve all been through this!

All new garage door openers in California are required to have their own internal battery so that if power goes down the door opener still works. State law requires any opener installed in CA have that in it. Law driven by multiple seniors that died in the northern fires when power went out and they couldn't open their doors to get their cars out and escape.

I just replaced the all the smoke alarms which were sadly out of date but I am still getting 3 beeps from somewhere in the house.

How else can I find this? There is no CO detector and nothing new in here.

Check the breakers....Ours have batteries and are also hard wired. Could have thrown a breaker

I had a mysterious beep that turned out to be a clock packed away in a box. When you pressed the clock face it switched between time and temperature modes, and it beeped when you pressed it. Something in the box was snuggled against the clock causing it to occasionally switch modes and beep. Difficult to find because the sound was somewhat muffled inside the box.

Do you have any forgotten electronics hidden away in drawers, closets, or boxes?

Beeping

This reminds me of our land line telephones. We had several hand sets and they would beep when the batteries got low. We just moved and I had to go find them and unpack and remove the batteries.

Old alarm system?

Battery in cable modem?

Fault detection in a power strip?

CO detector?

Old device sitting in a closet?

Somewhere the smoke detectors are wired together? Maybe a battery backup there.

This reminds me of our land line telephones. We had several hand sets and they would beep when the batteries got low. We just moved and I had to go find them and unpack and remove the batteries.

Hah! We had a collection of wireless "landline" phones (ours, ones we bought for our now deceased parents). When we moved I put them all in a box, and labelled them with big letters that there may be beeps coming from this box! I didn't want the movers or anyone else to get freaked out over it!

-ERD50

To determine if you have a defective wired smoke detector, you should unhook the wired connection (as well as removing the battery).

I had a mysterious beep that turned out to be a clock packed away in a box.

Reminds me of the young lady that had movers taking boxes from her home for a move and one of the boxes was vibrating. A bit embarrassed, by the movers smirks, she said she would take care if it later. When later came it turned out to be her electric toothbrush. :LOL:

All new garage door openers in California are required to have their own internal battery so that if power goes down the door opener still works. State law requires any opener installed in CA have that in it. Law driven by multiple seniors that died in the northern fires when power went out and they couldn't open their doors to get their cars out and escape.

That story still makes me sad.

To determine if you have a defective wired smoke detector, you should unhook the wired connection (as well as removing the battery).

Yes I was taking them down 1 by 1 in an attempt to isolate.

Part of problem is the beeps are no more than a couple seconds long so I can't move fast enough to see if they are louder in one spot.

I am making no progress. I haven't decided if i want to try go buy cameras and such just because I guess I am frustrated that it won't help. I think it is the alarms but I have been known to be wrong, quite often in fact.

I feel very stupid.

Last edited:
I was selling one rental house. there was old vivint panel on the wall. i know it was there long time before the tenant move-in. so it was not for them, but no one took it down or anything. so i heard beeping from it while fixing up the house.
also, i didnt know smoke detector itself has expiring date because of dust and other stuff. I thought it needs to replace to new battery. So I have many new/not used wired expired date(on the back) is still working if not dusted. And even though it is wired but if it expired, it beeps. And I took it expired/started beeping, and took out the battery, but noticed it was beeping for a while.

Don’t feel stupid. I think many of us have been there.
I personally had ptsd from things beeping and trying to figure out which one it was and getting it to stop.
The beeping sort of defeats the purpose when everything beeps and for no apparent reason.

I will also add that sometimes, just taking the battery out is not enough. There can be a capacitor in there that might stay energized for hours/days.

I have a couple devices that say that if you need to do a full power reset, to remove the battery and press/hold each button for 60 seconds or something like that. That bleeds off any remaining charge.

The beeping sort of defeats the purpose when everything beeps and for no apparent reason.

Yes. And they all use these generic beepers that emit the same frequency. In this day and age, there's really no reason they can't have a recorded or synthesized voice announcement.

-ERD50

^^^^^
x 10. Great advice.

I still remember my 13 y.o. self starting work in my Dad's 3 bay Shell service station. His crew, my co-workers, doing a tune-up threw me an old charged condenser (DC capacitor) from under a distributor cap . . . and, I caught it. Ouch! 🤬

This always is interesting to me when this requirement is brought up. All garage doors can be opened manually without any power assistant. I'm sure most know how but there are a lot I suppose don't know how. I would assume that is why there is a code and law for that reason.

This thread is kind of like a soup opera. Keep coming back to see the rest of the story but keeps on continuing. Lol

Fun!!!

Last edited:
The constant but irregular beeping from smokes in our newly built neighborhood led a few people to totally remove them and replace them all. That may be your last resort.

I was able to find the culprit...(typically would only give three beeps every other week and after midnight!!) and replace just that one but it took a lot of isolation and time. I unplugged them all and let them run on batteries and every three weeks plugged one in and waited another three weeks before doing the next.

Then I took the suspected bad actor and placed it by my bed...after about 10 days, sure enough, "beep, beep beep" at 3AM.

I will also add that sometimes, just taking the battery out is not enough. There can be a capacitor in there that might stay energized for hours/days.

I have a couple devices that say that if you need to do a full power reset, to remove the battery and press/hold each button for 60 seconds or something like that. That bleeds off any remaining charge.

Yes. And they all use these generic beepers that emit the same frequency. In this day and age, there's really no reason they can't have a recorded or synthesized voice announcement.

-ERD50

Shazam and my google phone can tell me what song is playing in the background. Why can't it tell me which freaking device is trying to get my attention? I know, First World problems.

Shazam and my google phone can tell me what song is playing in the background. Why can't it tell me which freaking device is trying to get my attention? I know, First World problems.

Now you gave me an idea. If the mfg don't want to add expense with a speaker and amplifier that can handle voice notifications, they could use the present 'beepers' and put the 'smarts' in a phone app.

Each device could send a Morse Code type signal to ID itself, and a code for the problem. A phone app could decode that for you. IF they do it, make it a standard set of codes please!

-ERD50

At this point, I’d disconnect all of the smoke detectors and see what happens. Obviously make it on a day when you’re home all day. Hook one back up at night near the bedroom just to be safe. Then, I’d carry the smoke detectors with me all day so that if I heard a beep, I’d be certain whether or not it came from the smoke detectors.

Back
Top Bottom