3 runners die in marathon..........

Well, my joints can't handle the impact - my knees have been shot since my early 30s. Frankly I'm amazed that so many people are able to run - and into their later years too.

Now on these deaths - sounds like there must have been something besides poor training. I am interested to here what the autopsies conclude.

Audrey

I don't like running road races because there's too much traffic before/after the race, and it's hard to get good parking...

Hey, Budman, what's up with the smiley spam?!?
I did not know it was spam. Bestwifeever has edited out the secret link. Sorry if this has caused anyone any inconvience. I will not use that smiley site again. Thanks for the headsup! :blush:

My DD's FIL just ran his first marathon at 60-plus, slowly enough that he had only the slightest pain afterward. He did it in a group with a six-month or so training regimen. I don't think he'll do it again but we are quite impressed! And he raised a few thousand $$ for a really good cause, too.

I am 60 yrs old and have run 30 marathons in the past 12 years and hope to run one in every state. I started marathoning a minimum of two per year so that I would have a constant training program in place. It has helped my weight problem, my blood pressure problem, my cholesterol problem. My Doctor tells me if I want to stay out of his office I should keep running! I think marathoning is a rush. I love the euphora feeling I get from it. I love the competition, I love the marathoning conversations with my running buddies, I love the spectators and the rock bands, I love the outdoors and the trail runs. I love feeling stronger during a training run. Since I am addicted to it, I intend to run until I die. If I die from running, there's no better way to go than doing something I love. Two other great benefits, beer tastes best right after a marathon and I can eat, eat, eat!

I agree with most everything in Budman's post. It's not for everyone, but if you enjoy it and can do it, keep at it! I just don't know that I want to try for the 50 states thing, I'd rather pick a race on its merits or for its locale rather than running someplace just because it's in between some lines I've never raced before. But it's a neat goal for some. Mostly I'll run the local races, plus I might be making the one where I grew up a regular thing, and then do a destination race or two a year.

I had a friend who sent me an email with some info on how 'soft' mankind has come.... here is one example...

"Manthropology abounds with other examples:
* Roman legions completed more than one-and-a-half marathons a day carrying more than half their body weight in equipment"

I think "Manthropology" is the book....

I wouldn't be surprised. The body is an amazing piece of machine, but it must be worked, worked, and worked continuously for years on end to reach peak form. Our modern lifestyle doesn't even begin to get us anywhere near our peak form.

I remember watching a PBS special on ultra marathons. A Mexican day laborer showed up without any ultra marathon prep, ran in sandals, and handily kicked the butt of dedicated ultra marathoners. His baseline fitness is so high from working 8-10 hours a day of hard physical labor that he doesn't even need to train.

Autopsies Inconclusive

Well, my joints can't handle the impact - my knees have been shot since my early 30s. Frankly I'm amazed that so many people are able to run - and into their later years too.

Now on these deaths - sounds like there must have been something besides poor training. I am interested to here what the autopsies conclude.

Audrey
I read this morning that the autopsies were inconclusive and that toxicology reports have been ordered. I also heard that the three deaths occurred in the same proximity and I'm wondering if it had anything to do with someone tainting the waterstop. :(

I read this morning that the autopsies were inconclusive and that toxicology reports have been ordered. I also heard that the three deaths occurred in the same proximity and I'm wondering if it had anything to do with someone tainting the waterstop. :(

That's really freaky to think there was something criminal going on. It would be pretty easy to do. Shades of the old Tylenol poisoning.

Back
Top Bottom