42, laid off, unsure about next steps...

My passion for library work is the reason why I want a part time library job right now, ...
I say, follow your dream. Keep up your grad work and keep up your pursuit of a sustaining job with a library. It sounds to me like you're on track to find a fulfilling vocation. However, it does seem a little premature to figure on retiring -- you haven't really got started to work yet. My wife did an undergraduate degree in Spanish, too, but of course the problem there is you get a lot of competition from the many people around who've learned both Spanish and English outside any academic setting. My wife just used that Spanish degree as a springboard to advanced degrees in linguistics. I don't actually know what "library media" is, but it sounds interesting.

Mod edit, deleting spammed message. Tip of the hat to travelover for spotting this first

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job travelover!

The mod team tries to remove spam as fast as possible. We have had a lot of spam lately and we appreciate everyone's help in keeping the boards spam-free. To make our job easier and to ensure timely deletion, please use the "report post" button (see below) to quickly bring an offending post to the mods' attention. We appreciate everyone's help!

Last edited:
Good job travelover!

The mod team tries to remove spam as fast as possible. We have had a lot of spam lately and we appreciate everyone's help in keeping the boards spam-free. To make our job easier and to ensure timely deletion, please use the "report post" button (see below) to quickly bring an offending post to the mods' attention. We appreciate everyone's help!

You mods move real fast. I saw the spam in my inbox and went straight to this page to report the spam, and it was already done!

Great Work! :clap::clap:

You mods move real fast. I saw the spam in my inbox and went straight to this page to report the spam, and it was already done!

Great Work! :clap::clap:

Thank you. We try to be as diligent as possible.:)

If I were you, I'd start looking for work where you could use your Spanish skills. I'd post an ad as a Spanish Tutor on craigslist, University/High School Bulletin board etc.

Too many opportunities out there.

Another option: You could volunteer in a library to get your foot in the door. Visibility is key. It's often said, it's not what you know, but who you know. It would also give you something in the field to put on your resume. A strategy similar to this has worked for me three times in my career.

Back
Top Bottom