44 years ago tonight.

MRG

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was at a concert with a pretty girl, she's sitting next to me right now. It was August 8, 1974. We were in Hershey Park Arena at the Farmshow building at a concert. Manfred Mann, Blue Oyster Cult, and Urihia Heep. It was the Urihia Heep "Wonderworld" tour.

Summer before high school graduation, what a great time. We would marry the next summer.

It was an amazing concert. During the setup for Urihia Heep they stopped the entertainment and announced Richard Nixon had resigned effective the following day, August 9th. The crowd was probably not Nixon fans based on their reaction. After the break, the Wonderworld concert was amazing! Perhaps the excitement of the event and crowd made it more exciting.

Where were you and what were you doing 44 years ago?

Maybe listening to Uriah Heep. Not sure if that's the same band you saw. :LOL:

F-ing up the first semester of my senior year of high school. But I have my standards. F-d up second semester as well.:facepalm:

Last edited:
Today was my then-BF's birthday. He turned 24. We went out to eat somewhere in Akron to celebrate.

I'd just graduated college a few months prior, so was starting my engineering career.

omni

World Series of Rock!

I was at a concert with a pretty girl at the World Series of Rock in Cleveland Stadium, watching ELP, Climax Blues Band & the James Gang. What a wild & wonderful time!

World Series Of Rock | Concerts Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

I matriculated to college in Virginia shortly afterward, we dated for ~ a year long distance (she lived in Ohio), then went our separate ways. I have very fond memories of that summer and her.

It's funny because I don't remember where I was (school I'm guessing) when JFK died, but I remember exactly where I was when Nixon resigned. Volunteering at First Alternative food co-operative on Fourth Street in Corvallis, Oregon. The radio was on so I heard the announcement when I was behind the cheese counter. Weird that stuff that stays with us.

My birthday is August 10th, but I don't particularly recall it that year. I was working my first job that summer (busboy at a local restaurant), but I do recall the Nixon resignation.

I was 21, working for the summer doing title searches in the Stark County, Ohio records, and the word spread while I was in the Recorder's Office.

In later years, I lived a few towns away from Nixon; he was in Upper Saddle River, NJ. Pat's funeral quietly took place at the funeral home in my town and I believe his was there, too. (I wasn't invited.)

August '74 Promoted from District Manager to Territorial Sales Manager and moved from Greenfield Mass, to Albany NY main office. TV just installed in new home, in time to watch the Nixon resignation.

I was in a wheat field waiting in a truck for the combine to unload into the truck. I would then take the grain truck to Buchanan Cellars in McMinnville, or. It was hot as heck. No AC in any of the farm trucks. Amazingly this was a "good" farm job. Not a lot of physical labor, just waiting in the hot sun. Had finished HS and entering college in about a month

Last edited:
My Dad had given me my first "real guitar" (a Fender Mustang) for my 13th birthday earlier that year. So I spent most of that summer at a neighborhood friend's house who played drums. My best friend was a tuba player in band, so I helped him learn how to play bass. We were good enough to be a hit with the neighborhood girls, playing songs like Spooky by the Classics IV. One such girl would become DW 10 years later.

I was working on a commercial fishing boat catching Fraser River run sockeye salmon around the San Juan Islands in Washington State. I was 16 and one of my high school buddies had an uncle that was a commercial fishermen and he gave me a chance to work. I made enough money that summer to buy a new dirt bike (Bultaco 250cc) and a second hand 1963 ford galaxy with a 351 cleveland motor and 60K on the odometer. I wasn't into LBYM in my teenage years. Of the 3 of us (the bike, the car and me), I'm the only one who survived my teenage years. I wish I was still immortal like I was at 16.

I saw Uriah Heep and BOC at separate shows in the Seattle coliseum sometime around 1974. I drove to the shows in my Ford.

Last edited:
Smoking cigarettes for the first time in high school. Quit the next year.

Working at a hardware store, little did I know I was the inspiration for Tony in Saturday Night Fever a few years later. Haha.

I was 4 years old, probably at my mom’s feet in the kitchen emptying out the cupboards, I had a propensity for that

44 years ago I was a freshman in college.

I believe that I was in Ireland on vacation with my parents.

I was 22. On a beach somewhere in Italy. Had just met a nice Italian girl (how was I supposed to know six days later that she had a husband?!!)

Some people were pointing at me; I heard "American" and "Nixon" and someone came over to tell me the news that he had resigned. Didn't really care either way; wasn't really big news where I was.

Really enjoying this thread.

I wasn’t quite around yet, but DM was casting about aimless and despairing; DF was doing his best impression of Peter Fonda in Easy Rider, sans Dennis Hopper and that tiny chopper. DF had a big bike and looked like a werewolf, I saw pictures.

Three years later I was conceived. Six years later they were married, and nine years later divorced.

I was getting ready for my Junior year in College. I had watched all the hearings on TV over the summer of 1973 (I was a clueless kid who didn't comprehend the value of summer internships), then the next summer my girlfriend moved to my college town and I stayed there for the summer and I worked at a pizza place and went to summer school. I did get to watch the resignation and then watched Nixon's last helicopter ride from the White House.

One thing about Nixon: on the old RGB TVs, one could turn the tint various ways, and Nixon wore so much makeup (pancake?) that I could make him look purple with a twist of the color dial. I always did that of course. It doesn't' work on today's fancy TV's and makeup for politicians has become more sophisticated anyway.

I was at a concert with a pretty girl, she's sitting next to me right now. It was August 8, 1974. We were in Hershey Park Arena at the Farmshow building at a concert. Manfred Mann, Blue Oyster Cult, and Urihia Heep. It was the Urihia Heep "Wonderworld" tour.

Summer before high school graduation, what a great time. We would marry the next summer.

It was an amazing concert. During the setup for Urihia Heep they stopped the entertainment and announced Richard Nixon had resigned effective the following day, August 9th. The crowd was probably not Nixon fans based on their reaction. After the break, the Wonderworld concert was amazing! Perhaps the excitement of the event and crowd made it more exciting.

Where were you and what were you doing 44 years ago?

I was at a concert with a pretty girl at the World Series of Rock in Cleveland Stadium, watching ELP, Climax Blues Band & the James Gang. What a wild & wonderful time!

World Series Of Rock | Concerts Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

I matriculated to college in Virginia shortly afterward, we dated for ~ a year long distance (she lived in Ohio), then went our separate ways. I have very fond memories of that summer and her.

Between these two line-ups would be really hard to pick my fav. ELP over Mann(but not by much) Blue Oyster over Climax Blues and the James Gang over the Heap depending on the type/level of buzz.

The big concert in the summer of '74 for me was Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. There were some lesser opening acts that I largely missed due to some chemical enhancements...

I had a part-time job that largely saw me through to a degree at the local community college: rural mailman at a small-town post office. DDad, a postal clerk, wisely advised me to take the civil service test. I passed, and landed a one-day-a week gig that delivered $45 per day, take home, between pay and mileage allowance. That was good money back then.

As graduation day neared, a co-worker retired. That opened up an opportunity for a full-time job clerking with the USPS in my little town. I thought about it ... and handed in my resignation.

Days followed when I wondered whether I made a sound decision, turning my back on a consistent, predictable career that would have cut me loose with a pension in my early 50s. But now, in retrospect, I'm happy. It was a worthwhile option for some, but not for me.

I was married and had a one year old child. I was 20.

Don't specifically remember how I heard about Nixon's resignation but it sure wasn't from TV. I was stationed in Rota, Spain with the Navy. Franco was still alive and in power and, unlike all the other US military bases in Europe, no Armed Forces TV was permitted. There was an Armed Forces Radio station on base. But it's likely that our command got notified by DoD but I really don't remember.

Back
Top Bottom