44 years ago tonight.

Not even a twinkle in my mothers eye! Ignorance was bliss for her! On August 5, 1975, her life changed! Poor girl ;)

After my Vietnam period military duty tour, I was in college on the G.I. Bill @ @222/month benefit.

I was 13 and was in Seattle with my Mom. We lived in San Diego but she was up there at a conference and I stayed in the hotel room watching all the Nixon news on TV. Saw Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver and the beautiful islands while passing by on the ferries. That was one summer to remember. I was a 13-year old news junkie before it was cool.

I was 11 years old and between the 5th and 6th grades, old enough to know what was going on. I remember having gotten injured playing football down the street (fractured my left wrist) and had a cast on it starting in mid-June. It had already come off by early August, thankfully.

My parents didn't like Nixon, so they were glad to hear the news, as was I.

Gosh, I guess we must have just returned to the states in time for that. I remember watching Nixon fly away in his helicopter for the last time on TV. Still in high school.

I was 13 and don’t recall specifically what I was doing that summer, except my babysitting job which was 8-5 five days/week. Early inspiration to FIRE.

I was at a concert with a pretty girl, she's sitting next to me right now. It was August 8, 1974. We were in Hershey Park Arena at the Farmshow building at a concert. Manfred Mann, Blue Oyster Cult, and Urihia Heep. It was the Urihia Heep "Wonderworld" tour.

Summer before high school graduation, what a great time. We would marry the next summer.

It was an amazing concert. During the setup for Urihia Heep they stopped the entertainment and announced Richard Nixon had resigned effective the following day, August 9th. The crowd was probably not Nixon fans based on their reaction. After the break, the Wonderworld concert was amazing! Perhaps the excitement of the event and crowd made it more exciting.

Where were you and what were you doing 44 years ago?

Just shot out of "mummys tummy" !!

It was the summer before my senior year in high school. I was working at my first business internship, with the WR Grace Company. I worked in their economics department and remembered them getting all excited because I figured out how to program a plotter to print graphs of daily currency exchange rates.

I cannot exactly remember where I was when Nixon resigned. I was not much into politics (still am not), so my reaction was more "interesting news. now, are we gonna play a game, or what?" :)

I was 14 and in high school and my wife was 6 and we were thousands of miles apart. Our paths would not cross for another 15 years.

I was 17 and a sophomore in college (paid for by Social Security), living with mom and retired dad who was depressed and angry over inflation destroying his union pension. Made me aware, at a young age, of how bad retirement can be if you don't have enough money.

Mr. A. was married to the practice wife.

I remember it well. As an undergrad student at U of Cincinnati, I had one friend from Lima, OH who was a steadfast Nixon supporter. As far as my fellow students, he was the ONLY one.
On August 9, 1974 I was a freshman dental student, and in addition to the resignation of RMN, it was my aforementioned friend's 21st birthday. Every August 9, I remember my pal's birthday, (we are still in touch, he still lives in Cincinnati), contact him, and tell him to have a happy B-Day, and a happy anniversary of Nixon's Resignation Day.

Today, August 9, 2018, is also DW and my 10th wedding anniversary. I typically remember our anniversary after being reminded of Nixon's resignation,then making the connection to my friend's birthday, and thirdly, my anniversary. Which is OK because DW wouldn't remember it at all if I didn't remind her.

So,OP, thanks for the reminder!

I was working in a steel mill in Western, PA on the summer break from college. Had a nice and pretty girlfriend then. I spoke with her recently after all of these years. The concert that I remember from that summer is Edgar Winter at the Civic Area in Pittsburgh. The roof was open. Probably to let the smoke out...

I was getting ready for college and hanging out with some friends before we all went our separate ways. I remember Nixon resigning, but didn’t think much of it at the time.

On a friday night in early August I was working a 2nd job, getting ready for my senior year at college, worrying that the US was in recession, the job market sucked, I would never find a good job, but in a couple of weeks I would be reunited with my gf once again.

According to an entire new generation, your recollections must be wrong, because everybody back then graduated from high school and immediately stepped into a great job without even applying for it, and then promptly bought a house.

On a friday night in early August I was working a 2nd job, getting ready for my senior year at college, worrying that the US was in recession, the job market sucked, I would never find a good job.

Sitting at a community baseball game with my 1st husband of one month, watching his little brother play. We took a transistor radio to keep up on what was happening and people came and sat by us so they could either hear the radio or me relaying the events. I was quite young, but had always been interested in politics so I am pretty sure I realized what a big danged deal this was.

That marriage only lasted another few years, and I upgraded, bigly, to the current model. :)

Summer of ‘74: I had a great group of friends, which my sister and I shared. 3 “boyfriends” but I was 14 and they were 15-19, friends of one another, and none serious, nor exclusive. Went to Don Ellis concerts, Stern Grove in SF, the Great American Music Hall, also in SF. We hung out together, played chess, listened to Firesign Theater albums, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer. I learned how to cook.

Our family vacation was to the Spokane World’s Fair. It was the first and last time my parents traveled without preplanning where to stay. No hotels or campgrounds available. We stayed in a private home, my sister and I camped out on a foldout couch. We were grouchy teenagers in general but really enjoyed this trip.

One of my boyfriends was visiting family in DC when Nixon resigned. He went to Ford’s inauguration and the experience changed all of us.

I was living outside Ft Campbell, Ky with first husband and 4 yr old dtr., 26 ducks, 1 cat and 2 dogs. I was 25, slim, long haired and beautiful.

The crazy thing is as a 13 and 14 year-old, I read my Dad’s Newsweek magazine every week cover to cover, as well as the local newspaper headlines that kept talking about Watergate, so I was a very well-informed teen (great investigative journalism back then). When the resignation happened, I knew what was going on, although reading more about it later, plus All the President’s Men, I got a much deeper picture.

As a teen I remember being shocked at all the “expletive deleted” in the transcripts of the tapes printed in Newsweek. I had no idea that presidents cursed!

I was attending Northwestern Naval Academy in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. I recall the Nixon announcement over the PA as i was reading something on a bulletin board.

Can't recall precisely, but most likely I was at football practice. It was between my freshman and sophomore years of high school and we started two a day practices in August. I read about it in the paper the next day.

I do remember watching Nixon's resignation announcement on TV. At the time I was one year into a 29-year career and renting a room in a house from a guy I knew from the rescue squad where I was a volunteer. He was a diehard Nixon fan (why, I could never discern). I considered him a little bonkers but otherwise a decent guy.

I am a bit fuzzy on that date!

Just realized this was the Summer "74"!
I had quit college after the draft ended and was selling Boats and making good money! I was a "Urban Styler" at that point ( Platform clogs, Mustang jeans, bare midriff shirts). I remembered it most as I had just bought a 1974 Sky Blue Datsun 260Z ($5500 MSRP), which means I was "partaking" and listening to "Smokin" by Humble Pie on either an eight track or cassette and dating a fine young Cuban girl! Thanks for the Memory!

Last edited:
I was 11, so I guess getting ready for 6th grade. I think I was vaguely aware of the resignation, but I'm pretty sure it didn't interrupt our daily neighborhood game of tackle football or baseball or kickball or hide n seek or...

I was working in an Italian restaurant and had just graduated from hs. I remember watching Nixon's resignation speech at the bar. It is amazing what sticks in your memory.

Back
Top Bottom