5 years late but hoping to leave in 2020

Out_the_Door

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi All,

5 years past my envisioned retirement age of 55. I’m anxious about taking the leap and wanted to know if my strategy is sound or if I’m being too conservative and/or if there’s something I’ve overlooked.

I’m looking to exit in Jan 2020. I’ve never been a high earner, but I’ve managed to save even while living in SOCAL. Aside from two years of expenses in an online bank all my other money is in a tax deferred account (401k).

Unmarried/no kids and in the process of establishing domestic partnership status with my GF so that I can be on her insurance. Luckily, I’ve haven’t suffered through any major illnesses and I go to the gym five-days a week and lead a hiking group once-a-week.

My current take-home pay (43K) allows for me to pay all my bills, have fun and still manage to save to my emergency fund. In addition, I do have a side hustle that nets about $9k a year which pays for my hobbies.

I estimate that under the current tax laws that a gross salary of $57,500 (50k after taxes) will cover my expenses and then some.

My yearly expenses are 35K a year (minus vacation/savings)
Credit Card paid in full each month
4-year old car (paid cash and previous car lasted 13 years)

The only other asset I have is a Condo valued at $440k (Zillow) with a $140k remaining mortgage ($945 mortgage payment).

My current retirement income/strategy is as follow:

401k Balance: 900K: will be rolled over into a Vanguard IRA (3-Fund portfolio strategy)

[20%] 180K in CDs/Money Market Fund for the first three years (60k a year)
[20%] 180K in Bonds to cover years 4 through 10
[60%] 540K in Stocks

I won’t need to withdraw as much from year 5 to 10 as I have a 29k a year non-COLA pension starting in 2024 and 29k a year in SS in 2026. I’m planning on keeping a 70/30 stocks/bonds split once pension kicks in in 2024.

My main concern is just covering the gap years from retirement to pension/SS and not run out of money late in the game. Obviously, if my GF and I split or we get married, I'll have to adjust the above (for the better or the worse)

With your budget, savings, and future pension & SS you definitely have accumulated enough. Retire with confidence. If the worst happens and you have to pay out of pocket for ACA you will still be fine.

Sounds like you are good to go.
Put your numbers into Firecalc. I am sure the success rate will be 100%.

My hat's off to you for doing so well living in HCOL Southern California--and not working a real second job. I agree with the above folks about you doing okay.

5 years past my envisioned retirement age of 55. I’m anxious about taking the leap and wanted to know if my strategy is sound or if I’m being too conservative and/or if there’s something I’ve overlooked.

I won’t need to withdraw as much from year 5 to 10 as I have a 29k a year non-COLA pension starting in 2024 and 29k a year in SS in 2026.

You might want to take a look at https://opensocialsecurity.com/

Starting your SS benefits at your FRA may not be optimal for you.

Otherwise, if you can really keep your expenses this low, you should be just fine.

With your budget, savings, and future pension & SS you definitely have accumulated enough. Retire with confidence. If the worst happens and you have to pay out of pocket for ACA you will still be fine.

Thanks, I ran the numbers with ACA and I think it's doable and CALI has made changes to their covered california plans which gives subsidies up to 600% of FPL

Your age and numbers ($, pension, SS) are close to ours. I feel confident in both our scenarios about retiring in 2020. Especially if we get a discounted ACA plan.

Back
Top Bottom