57 YO and thinking it's time

400K is in a state defined benefit pension which will pay out $63K/ year

How is this rate of payout (15%) possible? Does the state make up the difference?

How is this rate of payout (15%) possible? Does the state make up the difference?
Typically. It's likely that the $400K is purely employee contributions with a tiny amount of interest based on treasuries. If you just take out the lump sum, you're not eligible to get any of the employer contributions and investment returns from the trust fund so it's always better to take the pension annuity.

Typically. It's likely that the $400K is purely employee contributions with a tiny amount of interest based on treasuries. If you just take out the lump sum, you're not eligible to get any of the employer contributions and investment returns from the trust fund so it's always better to take the pension annuity.

Exactly. Only able to withdraw your own contributions and a trivial interest accumulation. The pension includes the employees contribution and a more generous interest rate.

Did u factor in taxes?

I live in nyc , my pension is 103,000 ,after taxes it's 84,000. I read somewhere u should factor in 1% of the value of the house in repairs. We went a long stretch with no repairs , but then I spent a whopping 360,000 in upgrades about 2 years into my retirement, not that I'll ever get it back when I sell but I wanted it to be mint condition for my retirement years as I spend lots of time in it now. Since your home is worth well over a million dollars like mine is, you need to factor in maintaining it in pristine condition. Congrats on you retirement

CEO asked me on Friday if I wouldn't reconsider retiring. I said no, thank you!
;-)

Well, It's two weeks to departure. Trying to wrap up task (particularly unpleasant ones) before the departure. Not too happy with beginning our retirement with the market slumping. Interestingly, being courted by the "dark side" (consulting firm). People can't believe I am just retiring!

YOu will love not setting the alarm anymore. About a year in we decided to do some consulting in our fields but most work can be done on computer at home in our pj's. It's the best of both worlds for us. Congrats!!

3m + Pension and 100k expenses, quit today!

Last day was fairly uneventful. Cleaned out what was left in the office. Went to HR for my "exit interview " and the ended the day with a little fair well reception. I was counting the minutes until I could gracefully leave!

First day off was great. Slept in, worked out, and tried to fix a problem with the desktop computer. All in all, a nice start to the rest of our lives!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom