9 Months of Anxiety?!

To keep those butterflies at bay, just keep reading all the messages on this forum...

Wow, still feeling anxious. Closed on my HELOC this past week to give me flexibility in my cashflow if needed. Met with my boss and let her know I'd like to go PT/Job Share but if not, I will likely resign in the summer. I made clear I don't want to burn bridges and will make the transition as painless as possible as long as my opportunity cost isn't too high.

Starting to feel real now! Having lots of (irrational?) doubts even though I expect to earn enough to cover most of my expenses doing stuff I want to do (already moonlighting a bit for experience/fun/testing the waters).

I know its the right decision and something I've been planning and plotting since my first day of my career. Still, the butterflies are insane.

I see you live in Tampa Bay.
Come join us for our SW FLA get together, which is being discussed in another thread for sometime in Jan/Feb.
We can all calm you down in person.:)

To keep those butterflies at bay, just keep reading all the messages on this forum...

Agreed. Retirement is a huge transition, and it is stressful. Reading threads on this forum helped push me to decide enough is enough. After 5 years of semi-retirement, I finally let go completely 8 months ago. You couldn't pay me to go back to work now. Oh, that's what they do...pay people...:rolleyes:

Come join us for our SW FLA get together, which is being discussed in another thread for sometime in Jan/Feb.
+1

A smart person told me "anxiety is caused by a situation you face that you don't believe you have the ability to manage". Knowledge is a destroyer of what you don't believe you can do. Seeing others succeed in the same situation makes it very understandable how to manage the situation.

Thanks... I'll monitor the thread and will make it if the date works for me! I'd love to actually have a real, candid, conversation with folks that get it!

Thanks... I'll monitor the thread and will make it if the date works for me! I'd love to actually have a real, candid, conversation with folks that get it!

Great.
We hope to see you.

160-something days out.... How did I survive decades? I'm not sure if making my decision to quit this year is shifting my tolerance or if the job is really just getting that much worse but going in and keeping my composure through the BS is becoming unbearable. The only things motivating me to get out of bed and go to w*rk is that I don't want to burn any bridges and I'd like to earn enough to cover my 2020 expenses. My only solace is playing with FIRE spreadsheets and calculators... and reading these boards.

160-something days out.... How did I survive decades?
Having a countdown makes the time pass by immeasurably more slowly. I kept pusing my date out...OMY, OMM, etc. I've finally had enough, and sold enough stock this morning to cover the remainder of the year. I promised my boss I'd give my client two month's notice, and that notice is coming up within the next week or so!

Megacorp gave us a 1 day notice back in 2008. They overreacted to the fall of the stock market, and decided to cut the 1-2 year employees and those over 55 years of age.

We were very happy to sign a hold harmless agreement in order to get 1 year severance pay, ability to get health insurance to age 65, 5 weeks more vacation pay and a pay supplement until age 62 when we could file for social security.

I had a father that took ER 6 years early, and had a great retired life building a lake home and working in local theatre. I had been preparing myself for many, many years and never intended on working until age 58.

Best thing to ever happen to any of us more experienced employees.

Back
Top Bottom