A Definition of Success

Eh, it defaulted to the wrong discussion forum for this topic. Oh well.

“Having control over your own time is really, in my view, a definition of success." Kevin O’Leary, Shark Tank

https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/w...oleary-shark-tank-emotional-intelligence.html

I liked this!

I didn't like Kevin O'Leary for a long time. I thought he was egotistical and kind of a jerk. Then I read he started intermittent fasting (something I do) and lost a lot of weight and feels great. When he's not on Shark Tank I like his attitude. He says smart things that make sense.

+1. He still seems somewhat egotistical on the show (“Mr. Wonderful?” Good grief) but maybe that’s his show business persona. I’ve heard him on finance podcasts and he seemed grounded. He also seems wise sometimes, enthusiastic for others and has an open mind to new technologies and asset classes, so I have developed respect for him.

But this idea of control of one’s time is a great leveler. To me, if you control what you do every day, it matters less where you fall on the net worth hierarchy. You’re never going to win the net worth game but you can definitely win control of your time.

For example, my grandparents worked early on but they were retired the whole time I knew them. They had enough money to have time for peaceful, leisurely mornings gardening and drinking coffee out in the country in southeast Georgia in their nothing fancy house and farm where they lived, time and money to take us on driving trips to the mountains for weeks each summer, time to visit friends and talk (endlessly), time to go fishing, and they always owned a nice newer car.

I always thought, “That’s the way to do it. I want to live like they do.” So I set out to save and invest so that DW and I could get to their lifestyle as soon as we could (like the Hawaiian Monk Seal in my ER Forum icon 🦭).

Last edited:
(like the Hawaiian Monk Seal in my ER Forum icon 🦭).

I don't know if you have followed the story(s) of Hawaiian Monk Seals taking over various beaches near Waikiki. The latest story started a few months back with another female staking out a popular beach for her birthing. The resulting pup was finally weaned, but chose to stay put, I guess. So, finally, the powers that be moved the pup to an "undisclosed" location. (Heh, heh, how do you move a monk seal pup? Very carefully.)

Here's the story.

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/blog/2023/05/30/nr23-98/

Thanks for that article, Koolau! It was special to meet the one in my icon photo several years ago on Ha’ena Beach on Kauai, where it was roped off by the DNR.

https://maps.apple.com/?address=5-7...20333,-159.566040&lsp=9902&q=Hā’ena Beach&t=m

It was a magical place to spend an afternoon. We snorkeled along the beach while dozens of large sea turtles fed rich along with us.

A few years back we stumbled onto a male and female monk seal sunning themselves a bit past Sandy beach. As we watched, a much less mature male tried to join them on the beach. The big male wasn't having it and chased the younger seal off. Very exciting!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom